Bangalore to Varanasi On Scooty: Back to Home During Lockdown

SHEKHAR 257

Be a Good person but Don't try to Prove.
Did you face any thing unusual in riding on cemented roads ??

I am not comfortable on cemented roads with round type tyres.
It glides left to right because of small lines / grooves in cement top finish.
I had this experience earlier in Rajasthan on Activa with MRF Zapper Tyre fitted at rear and front.

Sample image of grooves :
View attachment 793490.

These groves can be at parallel distance as lines may be some machine is used for such finish..

Anyone faced this problem earlier on a 2 wheeler ?
Wet weather traction improvement grooves

This form of pavement groove is installed on road surfaces to help reduce hydroplaning and skidding on wet road surfaces. Often you will encounter these grooved sections on roads that have a history of many wet weather crashes. Although grooved concrete surfaces seem to be more common, this road surface technique also is used on asphalt. Wet weather grooves are applied in two ways: perpendicular to the flow of traffic or parallel. Both function similarly to the rain grooves on your tires — they create channels to remove water from the tire/road contact area. The depth of the rain grooves and spacing between grooves are typically uniform.
The effects of perpendicular rain grooves on your motorcycle’s handling are minimal. Think of it being like the rumble strips along the edge of many roads, but smaller. Parallel rain grooves can have a more pronounced effect on handling; it feels like the road surface wants to influence the steering of the motorcycle. Unfortunately parallel rain grooves are less expensive and quicker to install on new road surfaces, which makes them a more widely used option.

Parallel grooves affect handling but are easier to make as they attach the mechanism to create grooves at the back of paver machine. Since paver machines travel along the road direction so making parallel grooves is fast and easy. Making perpendicular grooves requires more effort.

Last edited:

adsatinder

explorer
Wet weather traction improvement grooves

This form of pavement groove is installed on road surfaces to help reduce hydroplaning and skidding on wet road surfaces. Often you will encounter these grooved sections on roads that have a history of many wet weather crashes. Although grooved concrete surfaces seem to be more common, this road surface technique also is used on asphalt. Wet weather grooves are applied in two ways: perpendicular to the flow of traffic or parallel. Both function similarly to the rain grooves on your tires — they create channels to remove water from the tire/road contact area. The depth of the rain grooves and spacing between grooves are typically uniform.
The effects of perpendicular rain grooves on your motorcycle’s handling are minimal. Think of it being like the rumble strips along the edge of many roads, but smaller. Parallel rain grooves can have a more pronounced effect on handling; it feels like the road surface wants to influence the steering of the motorcycle. Unfortunately parallel rain grooves are less expensive and quicker to install on new road surfaces, which makes them a more widely used option.

Parallel grooves affect handling but are easier to make as they attach the mechanism to create grooves at the back of paver machine. Since paver machines travel along the road direction so making parallel grooves is fast and easy. Making perpendicular grooves requires more effort.
Best Technical answer !

This groove Lining is good for Rainy Season or for Rainy Day.
But this was on Rajasthan Roads.
Kota to Jhalawar Road and same happened with me on Chittorgarh Road too in Feb 2020.

On other Tarred road, this is not the case at all.
I have been to Rawat Bhata Road also in last decade but that road was well tarred then.
Now was in bad condition due to alternate cemented highways developed.

Khagesh

Used the same route on my solo ride to Nepal..... Mihar, Rewa, Prayaagraj, Varanasi... and so on. On my trip all the roads were under construction so one could imagine how difficult it was. Only few patches here and there were cemented and on these patches I just zipped; was so happy so much so that failed to notice this grooved issue. I could even recognize those hills. Tell you what, lucky, you weren't there on those under construction road with small scooter wheels, especially on those little ghat section between Rewa and Prayagraj.

After Adilabad, literally all roads disappeared till the Nepal Border. All was mess. Even Prayagraj Varanasi section too was under construction.

Khagesh

I had huge difficulty negotiating this parallel grooves in tar road
Nice to see you here Tilak. Coming to the roads condition, these potholes on the road demand hundred percent attention of the driver. On my Leh trip, near Kishangunj, the tar had accumulated into humps due to heat and hard to notice. They were so huge, one mistake, sure one would be flipped over. Very very difficult to notice under that scorching heat of Rajasthan.

Then comes oil spill near Zirakpur on the way to Ambala Cant. It was so dark and suddenly my bike started fishtailing. Then went on to low beam, I could see oil spill on the road!! The travelogues warned me this oil spill in Jawahar Tunnel where I was so careful but did not had any.

Having said all this, doesnt all this make our trip more adventurous and memorable than a smooth sail?

Tilak Francis

Nice to see you here Tilak. Coming to the roads condition, these potholes on the road demand hundred percent attention of the driver. On my Leh trip, near Kishangunj, the tar had accumulated into humps due to heat and hard to notice. They were so huge, one mistake, sure one would be flipped over. Very very difficult to notice under that scorching heat of Rajasthan.

Then comes oil spill near Zirakpur on the way to Ambala Cant. It was so dark and suddenly my bike started fishtailing. Then went on to low beam, I could see oil spill on the road!! The travelogues warned me this oil spill in Jawahar Tunnel where I was so careful but did not had any.

Having said all this, doesnt all this make our trip more adventurous and memorable than a smooth sail?
Yes indeed, Khagesh Sir.

deepam

Super User
@psushant577
Nice to see this link. Please do share detailed experience.
How many litres of Petrol and share the Fuel Pump you chose to fill Petrol.

I hope your parents did not get terrified with your idea. Yes this is the time, we need to make such trips. Lifetime experience to share at later stage of life.
I have a cousin who used to regularly ride on Lambratta scooter for 600 + km regularly in 70s'.