Bars Bars Bars And Liquor Shops Everywhere :(

Don't get me wrong, I drink and I I drink a lot.

But I feel with the BARS and LIQUOR SHOPS OPENING UP EVERYWHERE.
Its kind of un necesary.
Here are my reasons :

1. Our country or whatever is left of it, boasted of its culture and family values. Drinking was considered as one of the BAD traits a person. With the opening of BARS everywhere, liquor is available everywhere easily and slowly people have become insensitive to it.

I remember in our childhood, our parents would avoind going to a persons house if they know that he drinks (A lady who drinks was almost unheard of ).

2. I believe that we are still not mature as a country to have this kind of a Western culture without properly identifying PROS and CONS of it.

What are your throughts ?

adsatinder

explorer
दारू हमेशा से ही हमारी संस्कृति का एक भाग रहा है और जीवन के बुनियादी आवश्यकताओं मे से एक रहा है, तभी तो
घर- 'बार'
खाना- 'पीना'
दवा- 'दारू'

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Isn't it hypocrisy, talking about ills of liquor when you consume it as well?

In any case, people have always consumed liquor and drugs. Just that for whatever brief period, it was looked down upon.

In a way it is part of our culture and part of Hindu religion as well.

Awara

It may make one relaxed, carefree & creative, but one should know when to stop; also not drive when inebriated as it endangers others more than oneself.

citymonk

Super User
But I feel with the BARS and LIQUOR SHOPS OPENING UP EVERYWHERE.
Its kind of un necesary.
Here are my reasons :
Go to Gujrat and also to Bihar then you will know the difference.
These states used to be high consumption states and problems arising from this vice forced authorities to declare them dry.

Moderate consumption is key to enjoyment and keeping good health too.

Last edited:

Awara

Go to Gujrat and also to Bihar then you will know the difference.
These states used to be high consumption states and problems arising from this vice forced authorities to declare them dry.

Moderate consumption is key to enjoyment and keeping good health too.
You said it! In Bihar, domestic violence, drunken behaviour in public & accidents/ deaths due to drunk drivers have fallen sharply. Prohibition was the demand of the rural women and the overwhelming majority of them are very happy now. That's not to say that bootlegging & corruption are not going on; they are but on a much smaller scale than in Gujarat and consequences are severe if caught

cat

Senior Billi
OP is about alcohol liquor. Cannabis is a very different matter.

However, moderation and context have always been applicable. Time and place.

Isn't it hypocrisy, talking about ills of liquor when you consume it as well?

In any case, people have always consumed liquor and drugs. Just that for whatever brief period, it was looked down upon.

In a way it is part of our culture and part of Hindu religion as well.
In a way I agree with your point, but those were different times.

In US or other western countries Liquor is not considered bad and people consume it regularly even at home and more or less are aware of their capabilities.

But in Our country, we are influenced easily by West; without realizing the consequences. We are kind of following it blindly.
This is what bothers me, I don't think we as a society are mature enough to make correct decisions.
and to top it up, we have wide variety of people from different section (Some too priviliged and some not so.)

Privileged ones abuse the system and Drive after drinking or get involve in fights.
Unprivileged ones want to be like so called Privileged ones ..