Belgaum (Karnataka) -Goa via Chorla Road latest condition 2013- the best one

Discussion in 'Road Status' started by drvbs, Mar 30, 2013.

?

was the thread useful ?

Poll closed Mar 30, 2014.
  1. excellent

64.3%
  2. very Good

28.6%
  3. above Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. okay

7.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. drvbs

drvbs Vagabonding 24*7

Hi Frns.. !! I am Dr.Vivek from Belgaum,Karnataka. I wish to give the latest update on Belgaum to Goa by road via Chorla ghat. I mainly intend to help all those enthusiast travellers,Bikers from Karnataka ( south side- Bangalore) Maharashtra,Andhra pradesh who are planning a trip to Goa and would also like to enjoy the scenic western ghats enroute and most importantly to ensure them a good road condition for a smoother drive.
    Firstly,the distance from Belgaum ( landmark- central bus stand ) to Panjim,Goa ( landmark - Panjim Ktc central bus stand ) Via Chorla is 120 kms. Its the shortest route when compared to Belgaum-Panajim via NH4A i.e 154 kms ( at present the worst road ) and Belgaum - Amboli - sawantwadi - NH17 - Panjim i.e 164 kms ( next best to Belgaum-Chorla-Goa). Well, after travelling in the southern direction from Belgaum bus stand taking the College road,congress road ( NH4A or Khanapur road as we locals call ) and crossing third railway gate on this congress road you finally reach Peeranwadi cross.It is at this point where you see a Y shaped diversion from NH4A. Take the right diversion and head straight for Goa via Chorla Ghat. This stretch from Peeranwadi cross to karnataka-goa border (60 kms) is recently asphalted with triple layer tar,the work being finished just a month back.only a mere 200 metres on the way is still not tarred due to some unknown reasons. Once you hit this road you will yourself realise the excellent quality of road.Its a two lane road with appropriate markings where 2 buses can easily pass by. A very smooth road which cuts through dense forests of western ghats i.e the chorla ghat.This road in Karnataka limits was earlier the worst possible road but recently Karnataka Govt. has upgraded it fully. From Goa border again the road is very smooth but older compared to Karnataka. Enroute you will get Surla water falls,wildernest jungle resort Chorla and many other water falls with breath taking hill valley views.You will pass by Sanquelim town Goa and finally touch the NH4A again and then Via Ribander bypass you will reach Panjim central bus stand or Mandovi bridge Parking. From here you can travel in all directions of Goa.This journey ( if non stop ) can be done in just 2 hrs 30 mins flat out at a safe driving speed. The traffic is not much at present but can be expected to rise as recently many of the Karnataka state Govt buses,private multi axle Volvo buses(Goa- Mumbai,Goa-Hyderabad,Banaglore) are plying on this route owing to its excellent tarmac condition.I am quite sure this is the best connecting link from Karnataka to Goa in the whole of Karnataka state. There is a news around that even NH4A is going to be four laned but its a long way to go. So guys at present this is the best route you can find and I am sure you will agree once you yourself get down on this road. Finally to Aon march 10,2013. I will be attaching few images of the road too.My sincere apologies for skyscraper city and other sites for taking few photos from their sites as i did not have a good camera but my sole intention is to show you - thats how the road is exactly at present.Anyways the photos with dio are my own. Check them out

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for a typing mistake out there. I meant - finally to support my update I would like to tell you that I have personally travelled on this road recently on my Honda Dio on 10th March 2013.

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      416.8 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      201.5 KB
      Views:
    • 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      File size:
      263.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      182.9 KB
      Views:
    • 03.jpg
      03.jpg
      File size:
      396.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      190.1 KB
      Views:
    • 04.jpg
      04.jpg
      File size:
      421.4 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      464 KB
      Views:
    • 05.jpg
      05.jpg
      File size:
      413.7 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      132.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  2. Push21

Push21 Well-Known Member

gr8 pics...gr8 job.....

3. dksarker

dksarker Guru

A big thanks to you. This would have been a great information if I would get this few months before as I was traveling to Goa. I asked for some information in the following thread but did not get much response.

http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/itinerary-f10/chennai-anjuna-beach-goa-route-t46241/

I think your route is my route no 2:

Route 2: Chennai - Bangalore - Hubli - Belgram - Kinaye - Sanquelim - Mapusa - Anjuna/Panjim.
    Please confirm.

Also it will be great if you can update your information in the following thread:
    http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/road-status-f90/bangalore-goa-driving-routes-updates-t50303/

In this thread the route suggested by you is I think:
    Route 2: Bangalore - Nelamangala - Tumkur - Chitradurga - Haveri - Hubli - Dharwad - Kittur - Belgram - Kinaye - Sanquelim - Goa (630 KM by Google Map)

I would like to request our BCMT moderators to help us arranging the information.

4. drvbs

drvbs Vagabonding 24*7

Thank you very much :)

5. drvbs

drvbs Vagabonding 24*7

Yeah. It's route no.2 as per your details. Actually this is the first online forum I have joined in. So posted the thread now. Anyways you can recommend this route to your friends/relatives without a second thought. Its undoubtedly the best (atleast at present ). Hope it remains the same even after monsoons. Looking at the quality of work I hope it will, but lets see.

6. dksarker

dksarker Guru

Thanks again

7. drvbs

drvbs Vagabonding 24*7

Hey dksarker there is a slight change in the route no.2 as per you have mentioned. After Sanquelim you need to reach Banastarim Junction to touch NH4A and further ribander bypass and finally Panjim..Ribander bypass is a newly made bypass for old NH4A which traverses through to old Goa,ST.xavier church to reach Panjim.But these roads are very very narrow and you get blind curves a lot on the way increasing your journey time. Ribander bypass is all wide and a straight stretch of about 10 kms and you can cover it within few minutes.
    There is no need to go to Mapusa if you want to directly head to Panjim. By that route you will be adding 10 kms extra.However if you intend to head North Goa bypassing Panjim city then you can pass through Mapusa town
    So in short route no.2 from Belgaum can be modified as Belgaum-Kinaye-Chorla-Sanquelim-Banastarim Junction-NH4A-Ribander bypass-junction with NH17-right turn-1km on NH17-Panjim city ( kadamba bus stand or mandovi brige parking ). or left turn NH17 to Vasco/Margao/dabolim Goa international airport/kolva beach/palolem beach/South goa

- - - Updated - - -

Hey dksarker there is a slight change in the route no.2 as per you have mentioned. After Sanquelim you need to reach Banastarim Junction to touch NH4A and further ribander bypass and finally Panjim..Ribander bypass is a newly made bypass for old NH4A which traverses through to old Goa,ST.xavier church to reach Panjim.But these roads are very very narrow and you get blind curves a lot on the way increasing your journey time. Ribander bypass is all wide and a straight stretch of about 10 kms and you can cover it within few minutes.
    There is no need to go to Mapusa if you want to directly head to Panjim. By that route you will be adding 10 kms extra.However if you intend to head North Goa bypassing Panjim city then you can pass through Mapusa town
    So in short route no.2 from Belgaum can be modified as Belgaum-Kinaye-Chorla-Sanquelim-Banastarim Junction-NH4A-Ribander bypass-junction with NH17-right turn-1km on NH17-Panjim city ( kadamba bus stand or mandovi brige parking ). or left turn NH17 to Vasco/Margao/dabolim Goa international airport/kolva beach/palolem beach/South goa

8. asvastrad

asvastrad New Member

Many thanks to Dr Vivek. Been waiting to explore this route to Goa from Dharwad. The bad condition of the road prevented my visit to this area. The journey was exhilarating and made a fantastic week end program. Thanks once again

9. drvbs

drvbs Vagabonding 24*7

Thats my pleasure Mr. asvastrad. Good to know that my thread helped you. Hey I suppose you hail from Dharwad. Can you give me info on the road conditions from Dharwad to Ramnagar via Alnavar. I learnt that this road too has been recently newly laid into two lane highway ( similar to Belgaum-Chorla ) by a private firm and that its superb !. Is it so ??. Has the work finished ??. I guess that will be a great thing for Hubli-Dwr as it wud be the shortest link to Goa.

10. asvastrad

asvastrad New Member

on my way back i took the road from khanapur to dharwad via ramanagar. NH4 A to ramanagar was pretty bad and yes the road from dharwad to ramanagar has been newly laid and is in an excellent condition except for a few patches where bridges are being constructed. this is the shortest road to Goa from dharwad