Bhutan Permit procedure

bondhutto

Travel Dreamer
Not sure dude. Probably for bi-cycle there will be no permit needed, you just need to have your own permit. Anyway, go prepared, you'll have everything on spot - so should not be much hassle.

Hello Dimitrz....thank you for such elaborated details .......I wish to go for a bike trip to Bhutan and looking at how you managed thanks to you I know where to start and wat to do.

Hello Guys,
We 8 of us have planned a Bhutan trip in April 2019. We all are based out of Mumbai. We got in touch with a tour agent; who is going to take the online permit for us. Now, the following are my queries:

1. 7 of them would be traveling in a private bus, while I desperately want to ride my bike. IS this possible? I mean the group traveling by bus and me on the bike?
  2. I talked to the agent. he said that since he is going to apply for the online permit, I won't be issued bike permit at RSTA. Is this true?
  3. He said that if I want to travel on bike , I will have to manually apply for the permit and then i will be issued the bike permit at RSTA. IS this true?
  4. Most importantly, are solo bikers allowed in Bhutan? Will I face any issue while applying for the permit?
  5. If I decide to tag along with any random group just to get the bike permit, will I face any issues later during the ride? our plan is to travel Timphu and Paro and places around them.
  6. Do I have to keep the hotel bookings handy ? and what will be accepted as proof? an email from the hotel or scanned copy of the booking on the Hotel's letterhead.
  7. The Bike insurance. Is it compulsory that the bike insurance should be valid in Bhutan? only Indian one wont do ?
Kindly advise on the queries above. I so badly want to do this trip on my bike.

Last edited:

bondhutto

Travel Dreamer
  1. Bindaas possible.
  2. False.
  3. True. Simply reach Phuentsholling and approach any local agent.
  4. Officially, no. Unofficially, Bindaas.
  5. No issues at all.
  6. Yes. That is necessary.
  7. Indian will do.

Last edited:

bondhutto

Travel Dreamer
  1. Bindaas possible.
  2. False.
  3. True. Simply reach Phuentsholling and approach any local agent.
  4. Officially, no. Unofficially, Bindaas.
  5. No issues at all.
  6. Yes. That is necessary.
  7. Indian will do.
Elaborating point 4.

Reach Jaigaon one day before. Next morning, Try for the permit at Phuentsholling office. It's just 100 meters away from the Bhutan Gate, on the right side, after a Bharat Petroleum Pump. You'll see a crowd there. All applying for permit.

You must have the hotel booking ready with you. Once you reach there, you'll find one or two (or more bikers) roaming there with their helmets hanging from one hand. Approach them, they must be in group. Try to tag along with them. The Permit office officially does not allow permits to solo bikers. Get your permit with the group. Come out and look for the RSTA office. It's 300 meters away from the permit office, at the left side. It is on the first floor of the Phuentsholling Bus Terminus. Get the permit for your bike there. All Indian papers will work - RC, DL, pollution and Insurance photocopies. Get the permit done in 30 minutes and then start.

If you wish, you can leave the group you approached at the permit office from here and ride solo. No problem at all.

Or, you can approach any agent at permit office - they'll charge anything between Rs 500 to Rs 1000 for both the permits, for you and your bike. Bargain and get a deal.

asheshr

Super User
Do they give permit to Trashigang? And is there a way to reach Samdrup Jongkhar from Trashigang?

Thanks