Blurry and not so sharp images from new Canon 600d.

moto143

Hi guys,

I recently bought a canon 600d from ebay with Kit lens. I have never used a DSLR before. So far i must have clicked around 400 pictures and most of them are not sharp and looks out of focus. Most of these blurred pictures are captured through viewfinder however when i click through live view pictures and sharp and in focus but live view seems to be way slower to focus compared to viewfinder.

I bought a new 50mm 1.8 lens and tried to Click a few pictures and most of pics are not as sharp as it is claimed online. some of the pictures are under exposed and dark when i clicked them through Viewfinder but surprising same pictures comes out Bright & sharp when clicked through Live I don't know weather its my technique that's at fault or if i got a faulty camera.

Im sorry if it sounds like a noob question.I'm not used to a Viewfinder. I place the subject on the center dot and click when i get a green dot highlighted in viewfinder. im assuming this is how pictures are clicked through viewfinder.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Which mode are you shooting in?

Are you manually focusing or using auto focus?

Can you upload a few images with EXIF intact?

zack2137

Leh'd and how!
Things seem fine with the equipment, because the sensor doesn't differentiate between live view or viewfinder. You should read more about the technique on how to hold the camera, achieve the focus and then click the picture. Put your lens on AutoFocus mode and try again. Even through a viewfinder, you will see if you have achieved focus or the final image will still be blurred. Ideally, live view (LCD) is slower in attaining focus than the live view.

I bought a new 50mm 1.8 lens and tried to Click a few pictures and most of pics are not as sharp as it is claimed online.
Rome wasn't built in a day. You need practice :)

gauravrocks

this happened with me too when my Cannon was new, I simply changed the lens focus mode to auto and it worked for me...

hensil

Guru
moto,
You have to learn a little about the working of auto focus in cameras. There are different AF modes and there is also Manual mode. Maybe you are in manual mode, maybe you are not selecting the proper AF points? It could be any of these many reasons.

zacks,
In DSLR's there are two different types of AF, the CDAF (contrast detect) and PDAF (phase detect).
In Live View the camera utilizes the picture sensor for CDAF which results in accurate focus albeit slow.
When not in Live View the camera utilizes a separate focusing sensor for PDAF. This is very fast focusing but some times can miss alignment with the actual picture sensor and may miss focus.

Henry

svamshi

Vamshi
moto,
You have to learn a little about the working of auto focus in cameras. There are different AF modes and there is also Manual mode. Maybe you are in manual mode, maybe you are not selecting the proper AF points? It could be any of these many reasons.

zacks,
In DSLR's there are two different types of AF, the CDAF (contrast detect) and PDAF (phase detect).
In Live View the camera utilizes the picture sensor for CDAF which results in accurate focus albeit slow.
When not in Live View the camera utilizes a separate focusing sensor for PDAF. This is very fast focusing but some times can miss alignment with the actual picture sensor and may miss focus.

Henry

+1

Also one could test out the AF issues with Camera / lenses using the method described here - I did, and was happy.

http://photographylife.com/how-to-quickly-test-your-dslr-for-autofocus-issues

moto143

Thanks guys for the response.

@ Yogesh

I was shooting in Auto focus in AV and auto mode. Did not try the Manual focus yet.

@ Zack

I'm not sure if im doing it right but in Viewfinder the images are so small that its really hard to tell if they are in focus. I normally wait for focus confirmation ( Green dot) In viewfinder and click my pictures and assume that they were in focus. and review them in LCD.

@ Henry

I was shooting in AV and Auto mode and lens was set to Auto focus. Surprisingly in Live view most of the images were well exposed however when i focused through Viewfinder pictures were under exposed. Im not sure about AF points. i did not change any settings. Most of the pictures were shot in camera default settings.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Watch the focus points and see where they are focusing. The ones achieving focus will turn red.

Like I said earlier, upload some of the images you weren’t satisfied with, so that we can help pinpoint the issue. Alternatively, join the next meet (be it photography or otherwise) and attend free Canon Edge class.