Budget hotel in Coimbatore and Ooty

a.jain

I need a budget hotel for one night in Coimbatore and one night in Ooty,1-2 april, preferably for under Rs.1000/day, but should be clean and near the bus stand in Coimbatore,and botanical gardens in Ooty. I will be alone. Need suggestions. Also I will reach coimbatore late in the night and want to start for Ooty as early as possible next day by bus or shared taxi, what are the options? Thanks.

Indizen

Hotel Tamil Nadu, run by the tourism department, is economical and situated very close to the bus stand.
My friends stayed there last month.
The rooms were spacious and quite neat, but not luxurious.
Under :r:1000 for a double.
Register and book online.
There is a restaurant on site.

a.jain

Thanks Indizen. Will it be hot during the night or a non ac room suffice.
Also can anyone recommend a hotel in Ooty.

a.jain

Already booked a non-ac, fingers crossed. Will only reach by 9pm and leave very early in the morning.

Prasham

Armchair Traveller :(
There are many budget hotels in Gandhinagar area of Coimbatore. Moreover lot of buses start from the Gandhinagar bus depot.

Already booked a non-ac, fingers crossed. Will only reach by 9pm and leave very early in the morning.
Hotel tamilnadu is located near the Gandhipuram bus stand, for buses to ooty you will have to travel either by bus or by rickshaw to the mettupalayam road bus stand. You will get buses from the gandhipuram bus stand to metupalayam road bus stand at very good frequency.

The rickshaws in coimbatore are prohibitively expensive and they do not run by the meter. They can be as expensive as a call taxi, and rikshaw walas will not blink an eye while quoting in 3 digit figures for even travelling distances like 2 kms.

You can also try the hotels in the lane opposite the railway station which is full of lodges of all categories and is not very far from the gandhipuram bus stand, max 3 kms. From the railway station you will get buses to the metupalayam road bus stand at good frequency.

An alternate method to travel to ooty from coimbatore is to catch the blue mountain express, also called the nilgiri express, this train runs between chennai to coimbatore, and 50% of the bogies then move on to mettupalayam, which is the foot hills of ooty. Departure from coimbatore is 6.30 am and it is a 1 hour run, you can travel unreserved.

The nilgiri express connects to the toy train at mettupalayam, which then goes on to ooty, takes 4 hours or so from mettupalayam, you will reach ooty aproximatly by around 12 pm or so. Travelling in the toy train is an experience by itself, and if you have children travelling with you, they will enjoy the experience immensely.

or travel by train to mettupalayam and then get on to a bus for ooty at metupalayam, the travel time between mettupalayam and ooty (all in ghat section) is 2 hrs approx. All the buses that take off from coimbatore do make a halt at mettupalayam.

the buses run thru 2 routes between metupalayam and ooty, ie. via Coonoor and via kothagiri. the kothagiri route is slightly longer.

Let me know if you need furthur help, i stay in a place very close to Coimbatore.

Please do not confuse "mettupalayam road bus stand" with "mettupalayam", the former is the bus stand in coimbatore located on the road to mettupalayam, where as mettupalayam is a small town in the foot hills of ooty.

You might get share taxis at the bus stand itself.

Last edited:

Indizen

For the record.
Opposite the railway station.
In the lane called Geetha Hall road.
Hotel Legends Inn is a decent option.
And Grand Plaza is the best mid range hotel in the city @ 1700.

The road opens opposite the Arts College at the other end.

indizen, you seem very familiar with coimbatore, do you travel here frequently ?

For the record.
Opposite the railway station.
In the lane called Geetha Hall road.
Hotel Legends Inn is a decent option.
And Grand Plaza is the best mid range hotel in the city @ 1700.

The road opens opposite the Arts College at the other end.