Buying a Pre-Loved SX4 Petrol, my OLX experience.

jeetcp

Mediocre me
Thanks for warning TIMAP. Finished reading owner manual, again. No mention of Chain or Belt. Not even in service calendar.

Internet also has no info on India SX4 belt/chain.

Can anyone tell me 1) if it has Belt or chain. 2) What is the replacement frequency. I think some engine come with lifetime chains. Belts do need replacement though.

No compromise on a Timing Belt, if it snaps you will have to scrap your car!................... .

Bro, I am not upgrading the wattages. Though it needs a better bulb. Estillo head lamps are way better then SX4.

Bro, i truly support you with respect to headlamps. Though I think it is fine to replace headlamp with power ratio which is legally allowed.

Thanks Arshand. Its not offroader yet, not with current shoes. :grin:

Jeet Bhai congrats for the new offroader!!!
- - - Updated - - -

Update: Finished placing a new layer of carpet (In pieces).
The stock carpet has gone really dirty. Car spa also did not change much, waste of money. Tried removing the carpet, but removing seat nuts is simply impossible for us.

Hence putting a new, removable, carpet on top of existing one was the only option to hide some of the dirty portion.

My luck, that I got almost the same shade and similar stuff, that too at mere 10 Rs sqf. Bought a 6X5.5 feet piece for only Rs 330.

Step 1) Took measurement using tape measure and news paper.

Step 2) Broadly cut 4 pieces.

Step 3) Placed them in the car one by one, and made final adjustment. Made smaller cuts here and there to adjust nuts and humps.

Done.

Fully removable and washable carpet ready. Time spent, 4 hours.

IMG_20140824_104405634.jpg
IMG_20140824_095002514.jpg
IMG_20140824_095018857.jpg
IMG_20140824_103046148.jpg

Last edited:

AnupamR

Super User
Thanks guys for the sweet comments.

Btw, what would be the recommendation on timing belt. Mine has clocked 90k in reality. I know some people could run sx4 or even wagon r etc upto 1.5 L km with out chain change. I dont want to touch the car until it is very necessary.

Another problem is headlamp. Totally useless. Mine has 55/60 halonix. Will 55/60 phillips improve anything? Reflector design is such that the through is very near. Some time i think of opening the lights and get them shampoo washed at home.

Btw i am going ng to do DIY carpetting tomorrow. Will post photos once done.
SX4 has got a timing chain instead of timing belt and as per Maruti, life of timing chain is similar to life of engine and does not require replacement at 100K so no worries. Even I had same question at 100K service.

Regarding headlight I would suggest to replace 55/60 stock bulbs with Rally 130/100 bulbs with relay, this would give you proper visibility at night.
Even I am using rally 130/100 and visibility is really good. :D

jeetcp

Mediocre me
SX4 has got a timing chain instead of timing belt and as per Maruti, life of timing chain is similar to life of engine and does not require replacement at 100K so no worries. Even I had same question at 100K service.

Regarding headlight I would suggest to replace 55/60 stock bulbs with Rally 130/100 bulbs with relay, this would give you proper visibility at night.
Even I am using rally 130/100 and visibility is really good. :D
Thanks you so much for clearing my doubt on the chain.

Hella relay + 90w bulb is coming for 900+300 rs only. Which one do u have.

AnupamR

Super User
Thanks you so much for clearing my doubt on the chain.

Hella relay + 90w bulb is coming for 900+300 rs only. Which one do u have.
Jeet bhai, I dont have Hella, Its Philips and the price is around 300 each bulb (3 Years back) and may be another around 500 for 400W relay.

jeetcp

Mediocre me
Update after 3000KM / 7 Months:

Usage of SX4 has been hardly 400KM/month in past 7 months. Estilo / Pulsar is doing duty for local stuff and we did not have any long trip since then.

Ownership has been issue free so far except:

1. One puncture which I fixed myself.

2. Airbag light came up unwanted. It is still glowing. As per A$$ there is some issue in passenger seat belt. Updates on other thread. Nothing to worry about.

3. Windshield had scratches causing night glares making driving difficult. Replaced it today. Drive was much better this evening.

As suggested by other BCMTian, went to Windshield experts, Sector2, Noida. Dropped the car at 11AM while going to office. It was done in 3 hours.
Net dent on pocket is Rs.2577 (Rest goes to insurance company).

Overall, as very professional job done. AIS glass with shadowing and boarder exactly similar to original one.
Also baught a Bosch wiper set for Rs.400, which I forgot there itself.

Mileage: Contrary to common belief about low figures, overall mileage for past 3000KM I got is 12.5kmpl. This is 50% highway and 50% city with some crawling. Most without AC. Mileage in cold weather was better.

I am sure that in cold air, with a light foot on highway, she will return 15kmpl.

Insurance is due next month, which will be another dent of Rs.11K, thanks to above 1500cc engine clause.

Do I like the car?? Yes.
Though the low speed ride is little bumpy, she gets better and confident as speed goes higher. At 80+ it is very confident drive and you would not feel that you are driving a tall 1200KG car. The 1.6 is super smooth to rev past 4K rpm. Taking it to 5k-6k is easy and engine note remains sweet (Unlike the 3 pot K10b). Though you I hardly need to rev past 3.5K.

The car has visited my mechanic as well as Maruti service center, so far there is no major fault found, so I would term it a good purchase.

jeetcp

Mediocre me
Did you fit CNG Kit? What's the experience ?
No Prasham, I did not. I dont have to either now. Life through some sweet surprises sometimes.
6 months back, we were blessed with a baby boy. :) Travelling has been reduced a lot now. Estilo does the duty to office while SX4 goes out only for Hospital/Shopping etc.

And the little one has a ride of his own (His Red and Black Pram) which need the space in trunk that CNG Cylinder would have eaten. :)

Great DIY Carpet !
Great Review !
It Indeed helped Sir ji. These carpets have hidden all the stains on factory carpet. I cut the oversize pieces and edges of the carpets go inside the plastic moulding, completely hiding the factory carpet.

Good thing is that these are removable too for wash, and extremely cheap to replace too.