Carrying tripod on flights

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
I was wondering, how does one carry a tripod in a domestic flight? I mean, can one carry it as carry on luggage or does it have to be checked in?

pulsarider

manual mode
i carried it as a handbag when i took it to andaman... just showed it at the counter and the CISF counter that it wasnt metal.. they told me its ok to carry it inside the aircarft.. no need to put in the cargo..

koolharry

Rail and Road...
Generally to avoid suspecting eyes, I usually check-in my tripod. I would push inside the bag and check-in. Luckily I have a smaller tripod.

rkbharat

Guru
on international flights tripod in hand bag is not allowed. So last two time I kept it in Check-in baggage, in tripod bag, further wrapped in thick towel to avoid damage. I am not sure how it works in domestic

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
i carried it as a handbag when i took it to andaman... just showed it at the counter and the CISF counter that it wasnt metal.. they told me its ok to carry it inside the aircarft.. no need to put in the cargo..
Mine is made of metal, as far as looks etc. go and I am afraid that they won't take kindly to that.

Generally to avoid suspecting eyes, I usually check-in my tripod. I would push inside the bag and check-in. Luckily I have a smaller tripod.
Mine won't fit inside carry in bag, but can be attached to the side.

on international flights tripod in hand bag is not allowed. So last two time I kept it in Check-in baggage, in tripod bag, further wrapped in thick towel to avoid damage. I am not sure how it works in domestic
That is what I am actually afraid of, guess I will need to carry hard suitcase for check in baggage, which kind of sucks, since total weight limit is around 20kg and the photography equipment and laptop along would weigh around 5kg. Which kind of brings be to another question, is carry in luggage counted against the total allowed baggage weight or is it separate?

Viny

20Kg for Checked in stuff
5-10KG for Carry in Baggage.

Well tripod bags, at time looks like rifle bags :p
Not sure if they would allow it as carry in, just talk to local airport authorities.

oriole12

Nature Lover
I have a rather heavy tripod and a suitable bag to carry it. In domestic flights, usually one has little problem in case the weight of the check in baggage is not excessive. International flight is another story. Mine certainly would not fit into suit cases, leave alone hand baggage. The US flights permit only two bags, no matter how light one is. Therefore, if one is to carry a tripod in US flights, it is to be carried as a check in baggage, which means you have only one more bag for your luggage. If one has a large lens and a back pack camera case, then one has to sacrifice the hand baggage also. I end up not carrying my tripod abroad. I suppose I will have to either hire one or pay extra if and when I go on a wildlife safari in Masai Mara!

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
20Kg for Checked in stuff
5-10KG for Carry in Baggage.

Well tripod bags, at time looks like rifle bags :p
Not sure if they would allow it as carry in, just talk to local airport authorities.
Then I guess I would be on the safe side, I just need to get an over sized camera bag for the heavy stuff :D

I have a rather heavy tripod and a suitable bag to carry it. In domestic flights, usually one has little problem in case the weight of the check in baggage is not excessive. International flight is another story. Mine certainly would not fit into suit cases, leave alone hand baggage. The US flights permit only two bags, no matter how light one is. Therefore, if one is to carry a tripod in US flights, it is to be carried as a check in baggage, which means you have only one more bag for your luggage. If one has a large lens and a back pack camera case, then one has to sacrifice the hand baggage also. I end up not carrying my tripod abroad. I suppose I will have to either hire one or pay extra if and when I go on a wildlife safari in Masai Mara!
Sir, no issue with airport security if the tripod is being carried with carry in luggage? In any case, it would just be my camera bag + the tripod, likely mounted on the camera bag itself.

rkbharat

Guru
Sir, no issue with airport security if the tripod is being carried with carry in luggage? In any case, it would just be my camera bag + the tripod, likely mounted on the camera bag itself.
See on international flight it all depends on the mood of Security Authority deployed at that time. They may or may not allow tripod. If they do not allow, they are pretty strict about it and you will be in big big trouble.

That is one of the reasons I got myself a smallest sturdier manfrotto for me. I think you can put it in skybags, just keep it in between the layers of cloths. What I am also doing is separating the head from the legs and keep them separate. Lowers the chances of damage.

So last time I carried one full Camera Back Pack, with bodies and Lenses and one thin Laptop bag in cabin and checked in tripod in with checkin bag. But unfortunately Europe is problem as they allow only one checkin bag max 23kg , and even a KG extra is problem

oriole12

Nature Lover
Then I guess I would be on the safe side, I just need to get an over sized camera bag for the heavy stuff :D

No issue with Airport Security. At most airports, the X-ray is very good and the operators are well trained.
I was seriously eyeing a very handy Carbon Fiber Tripod from Slik, the Pro 624 CF. It is a 4 section tripod which folds to just 14"and can carry a total weight of about 9 pounds (4Kg). It sells for $230 at B&H. This can go into your bag easily.