Carrying tripod on flights

Viny

No issue with Airport Security. At most airports, the X-ray is very good and the operators are well trained.
I was seriously eyeing a very handy Carbon Fiber Tripod from Slik, the Pro 624 CF. It is a 4 section tripod which folds to just 14"and can carry a total weight of about 9 pounds (4Kg). It sells for $230 at B&H. This can go into your bag easily.
But would not go easy on pocket :p

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
See on international flight it all depends on the mood of Security Authority deployed at that time. They may or may not allow tripod. If they do not allow, they are pretty strict about it and you will be in big big trouble.

That is one of the reasons I got myself a smallest sturdier manfrotto for me. I think you can put it in skybags, just keep it in between the layers of cloths. What I am also doing is separating the head from the legs and keep them separate. Lowers the chances of damage.

So last time I carried one full Camera Back Pack, with bodies and Lenses and one thin Laptop bag in cabin and checked in tripod in with checkin bag. But unfortunately Europe is problem as they allow only one checkin bag max 23kg , and even a KG extra is problem
Mine isn't all that big or heavy either.

No issue with Airport Security. At most airports, the X-ray is very good and the operators are well trained.
I was seriously eyeing a very handy Carbon Fiber Tripod from Slik, the Pro 624 CF. It is a 4 section tripod which folds to just 14"and can carry a total weight of about 9 pounds (4Kg). It sells for $230 at B&H. This can go into your bag easily.
Thats a relief. Hopefully the next tripod I buy, would be a carbon fiber one from manfrotto. Have had enough with the cheap pan heads, which don't really let you shoot in a level vertical manner and one is forced to keep the framing horizontal or risk huge tilt.

oriole12

Nature Lover
Mine isn't all that big or heavy either.

Thats a relief. Hopefully the next tripod I buy, would be a carbon fiber one from manfrotto. Have had enough with the cheap pan heads, which don't really let you shoot in a level vertical manner and one is forced to keep the framing horizontal or risk huge tilt.
On that subject, please also buy a good quality ball head, not the three-handle type one. Remember the Thom Hogan Maxim
Thom's Maxim #2: You can spend US$1700 to buy a good tripod and head, or you can spend US$1000 and do the same thing. (Corollary: eventually you'll do one or the other.)

Manfrotto makes several models but only the high end ball heads ($80 +)meet the standards. If one can afford, go for Kirk, Really Right Stuff or Acratech.

DKay

Super User
While flying from Jammu to Leh and on return from Srinagar to Jammu, I was specifically asked to check in my tripod with the check in luggage!!

Even though mine is heavy plastic (I think) I was not allowed to carry as hand baggage

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
In that case, I guess I will pickup a large enough bag for check in, which can also accommodate my tripod if the need be. If they do not let me carry it on board, I will put it in the bag and check in with the hopes that it will make it to Leh in one piece.

rkbharat

Guru
In that case, I guess I will pickup a large enough bag for check in, which can also accommodate my tripod if the need be. If they do not let me carry it on board, I will put it in the bag and check in with the hopes that it will make it to Leh in one piece.
And that brings me to one question.

You are flying to LEH :shock:

darth_lucifer

Rides R Us
That is what I am actually afraid of, guess I will need to carry hard suitcase for check in baggage, which kind of sucks, since total weight limit is around 20kg and the photography equipment and laptop along would weigh around 5kg. Which kind of brings be to another question, is carry in luggage counted against the total allowed baggage weight or is it separate?

Tripods fit into haversack easily along with towels,clothes etc which you can check in and can serve as a padding.No need for hard suitcase which might have to lug around unless you have habit of wearing ironed clothes from hard suitcase:twisted:.20-25 liter haversack is a good investment and you can attach it your motorcycle too:grin:

Dont let them weigh your cabin bags unless you are asked too.Carry everything insomething innocent looking like a laptop bag.I carry heaviest stuff in cabin bags like books etc and and most of times you can slip past without having them weigh it:grin:

While flying from Jammu to Leh and on return from Srinagar to Jammu, I was specifically asked to check in my tripod with the check in luggage!!
All flights from Srinagar do not allow cabin baggage I guess.Not sure about Jammu and Leh

Last edited: