Chandertal Lake, Spiti Valley

MonkeyBoy4u

A lot of people with GPS devices would have gone to this lake.
Can you please post
1. Entire track of the road to lake from the turnoff
2. Otherwise, the GPS coordinates of the turn off point from the main highway
Since often the board is taken down, its difficult to find the turn off point
Hi Tanveer, which turn off are you referring to, is it the turn to the jeepable Chandertaal track ? This turn is such that you will not be able to miss it.

tsk1979

Reclaimed and Recycled
Yes, the same one. I took it in oct 2009. But I am not sure I took the correct turn as the signboards were not there

MonkeyBoy4u

Yes, the same one. I took it in oct 2009. But I am not sure I took the correct turn as the signboards were not there
Its the only turn off you will come across on the Batal - Kunzum route :D So I am sure you have taken the correct turn.

If you are approaching from Batal it will be on your left. If approaching from Kunzum on your right.

I feel climbing up the track is more difficult if approaching from Kunzum side, as one has to start climbing a very steep climb from a very very sharp bend in very very narrow space.

It is very steep to begin with and I am sure one cannot miss it, board or no board.

MonkeyBoy4u

Hi Tanveer, I have seen these pics in your travelogue. I have not been on the road so I cannot say if there is a waterfall. But waterfalls and water crossings are very common on both sides of the Kunzum.

for everyone's info, before Kunzum they form the Spiti and after Kunzum the Chandra river.

I am 100% sure you have taken the correct turn because there are no other turns !

Yes tanveer there are no other turns one for kunzum and other for chandertaal....nothing else....and yes there is a water fall (well you can call it ;)) shortly after the crossing...and one before 2 KMs of chandertaal...

and by the pictures it seems you were on the right track...it's just boulders and rocks keeps coming donw shattering that road off...
and yes road goes along the river...and then there is a valley like flat plains for 2 KMs or so...after that a water crossing...and then final climb to chandertal

Last edited:

kkbhagra

Banned
Hey Guys...
This is Chandartaal.... Enjoooy!
And yup... to say what it is about....
i walked around the lake around 9:00 PM at night.. and this is what i realized:
The day my soul dawned apon earth.. centuies or maybe just years ago... this is where it came from.... i still carry a lil water frm the lake in a bottle with me.... you guys have to get there to know what the lake is about.....
have been to pangong,tsomos,tsokar, surajtal...and where not....
But this is special..wish could put in words... but the words sum up in my soul...

Sorry cant tag em...dnt know how....
The samll one is uptill where u guys have reached... that is so close to the lake...a 5 min..gentle waklk... no trekkin or climbing abilities required.... damn all of you for not being able to reach there....
Yup just one more thing.....
I was there about 6 yrs ago and just one thing the valleys told me.....
You cant reach us no matter how hard you try...how much you plan...
you are invited and if not you cannot be.... i guess its true guys..... gettin there n not able to see it...
now i actually do speak to the mountains.............. Weird!

Attachments

kkbhagra

Banned
One more thing guys......
Chandartaal has a very rare and unique flower that grows near its banks.....
The Edelweiss..
The flower is so rare that in Europe(found in the alps and higher regions only) if you are caught pluckin the flower u r fined some....1300 Euros......
and i bet none of us know about it atall...... and for all those who go there next... observe the flora... its amazing the way it droops every evenin and then bossoms again with the morning sun,..... The place is Magical.....

Road to Chandarteaal.....
Take the bad road Left from baatal... its rocky dirty but not all that steep...just drive easy...... towards the top..thee is no road...u can make out the worn out Tyre tracks in the grass.... follow it to where the jeep goes.... park.... to your right is the origin of chandra River.... Keep walkin for about 5 mins against the direction of water... you see the most mesmerizing ????
Have fun... and yes to kow the place..... spend atleast a night there...