Chandigarh>>>Shimala>>Kalpa>>>Nabo>>>Kaza>>>Batal >>Manali

Tushar Yeole

Dear friends,

I am planning to do Chandigarh - Shimala - Kalpa - Kaza - Manali route in Oct second week. I am from Mumbai n hiring a car from Chandigarh.

Can anyone please share itenery.
Suggestion if season will b good
Where shud I stay
Any off beat locations to see.
Any car / driver recommendation.

rameshtahlan

Super User
Tushar Yeole,

October is a very good month for Ladakh,
the monsoons and all its vagaries are behind you,
the winter season with snow has still far on the horizon,
your only uncertainty is uncertainty of Ladakh itself.
here you may plan, but the mountains will have the final say,
and that is what makes it exciting.
so do keep at least 2 to 3 days free in hand to cater for it,
other wise, just go for it.

your entire trip itinerary depends on one single issue, how many days do you have.
as this is the main factor for planning.
so if you could give some idea of days, it would make it lot easier for anyone to give you a tentative plane.
but as a broad plan to cover this route, here is just an idea.

Day1 - drive Chandigarh to Sangla or Chitkul,
Night halt Sangla or Chitkul, lot of green around you. good for a walk. Beyond Sangla you will see the camping sites down by the river beds.
Day 2 - drive to Kalpa or Rekong Peo
Night halt Kalpa, its beautiful, sareen, green, beautiful views. Its apple country.
Day3- drive to Pooh
Night halt Pooh. wake up to a sunrise from across the valley.
Day 4 - Drive to Tabo, enroute halt at Nako for Nako lake.
Night halt Tabo
Day5 - drive to Kaza, enroute don't forget to drive up towards Dhankar, its unreal. monasteries on cliffs, and you wonder how they are still there.
Night halt Kaza.
Day 6 - drive to Key Kibber, spend afternoon/evening at Kaza monastery
Day 7 - drive to Langza. spend afternoon afternoon/evening enjoying the surroundings around Kaza, or just drive a few Km beyond Kaza to where the road crosses Spiti River to the other side, and enjoy the vastness of the river bed.
Day 8 - Drive to Manali. Stop in between at Kunzum pass and go to Chandratal Lake.
Night halt Manali.
Day 9 - In case you reached Manali late at night, then you could spend the day to drive up to Rohtan Pass for snow scooter rides, or try for a fun ride on parasailing.
Day 10- You could go to Solang valley to spend day there, lots of paragliding, just in case you did not get enough time on way back from Rohtang Pass to do paragliding.
Day 11 - drive back to Chandigarh.

If you have 2 more day, you could do Pin Valley, the turn off of Pin Valley is just about past the half way mark between Tabo and Kaza, in fact a few km from turn off for Dhankar.

So with Pin Valley, it would be 13 days. Keep 2 days spare, so your plan should be for a total of 15 days.

if you short on days, then accordingly certain night halts recommended can be removed

As a general rule, a taxi can cost you 3,000 to 3500 a day for an Innova. which is Rs 14 a km x 250 km mandatory per day, plus another 300 to 350 odd a day for driver DA.

Given a choice, I would take an Innova, although a car is not a problem.

at the end of the day, its the journey that matters and that is what will stay in ur blood for ever , its not the destination. For that reason i have given you a relaxed journey, to take in the surroundings, the stop over locations, stop where you want to take pics, take selfies with the best terrain in the world behind you.

happy landings.
RT

vikram.jeet

thebullrider.in
Itinerary :
If you have 10 days in hand then,
Day 1 : Chandigarh - Narkanda - Sarahan
day 2 : Sarahan - Kalpa - Sangla - chitkul
day 3 : Chitkul - Nako
day 4 : Nako - dhankar - Tabo - Pin valley
day 5 : Pin - Kaza - key - Kibber - Gete - Tashigong - Kaza
day 6 : kaza - losar - kunzum - batal
day 7 : batal - chandertaal- batal
day 8 : batal-manali
day 9 : Manali - chd
day 10 : buffer

I had less days so i did,
Day 1 : Chandigarh - Narkanda - Tapri(skipped sangla - chitkul)
day 2 : Tapri- Kalpa - Nako
day 3 : Nako - pin
day 4 : Pin - Kaza - key - Kibber - Gete - Tashigong - Losar
day 5 : Losar - kunzum - batal - chandertaal - Batal - Manali
Day 6 : Manali - Chd

Suggestion if season will b good:
I guess the best is June-July.Aug-sept is monsoons and kinnaur regious is notorious for landslides.Mid october is not bad too.

Where shud I stay :
I stayed mostly at PWD rest houses and to be honest i wasnt disappointed.but prior booking is recommended as i went there when the roads had just opened and there was less travelers at that time.

Any off beat locations to see :
Kibber,hikkim,kaurik,gete,tashigong all near kaza.you can visit dhankar lake if time permits.

Any car / driver recommendation :
Depends upon number of people.Driver should be an experienced native.

Tushar Yeole

Tushar Yeole,

October is a very good month for Ladakh,
the monsoons and all its vagaries are behind you,
the winter season with snow has still far on the horizon,
your only uncertainty is uncertainty of Ladakh itself.
here you may plan, but the mountains will have the final say,
and that is what makes it exciting.
so do keep at least 2 to 3 days free in hand to cater for it,
other wise, just go for it.

your entire trip itinerary depends on one single issue, how many days do you have.
as this is the main factor for planning.
so if you could give some idea of days, it would make it lot easier for anyone to give you a tentative plane.
but as a broad plan to cover this route, here is just an idea.

Day1 - drive Chandigarh to Sangla or Chitkul,
Night halt Sangla or Chitkul, lot of green around you. good for a walk. Beyond Sangla you will see the camping sites down by the river beds.
Day 2 - drive to Kalpa or Rekong Peo
Night halt Kalpa, its beautiful, sareen, green, beautiful views. Its apple country.
Day3- drive to Pooh
Night halt Pooh. wake up to a sunrise from across the valley.
Day 4 - Drive to Tabo, enroute halt at Nako for Nako lake.
Night halt Tabo
Day5 - drive to Kaza, enroute don't forget to drive up towards Dhankar, its unreal. monasteries on cliffs, and you wonder how they are still there.
Night halt Kaza.
Day 6 - drive to Key Kibber, spend afternoon/evening at Kaza monastery
Day 7 - drive to Langza. spend afternoon afternoon/evening enjoying the surroundings around Kaza, or just drive a few Km beyond Kaza to where the road crosses Spiti River to the other side, and enjoy the vastness of the river bed.
Day 8 - Drive to Manali. Stop in between at Kunzum pass and go to Chandratal Lake.
Night halt Manali.
Day 9 - In case you reached Manali late at night, then you could spend the day to drive up to Rohtan Pass for snow scooter rides, or try for a fun ride on parasailing.
Day 10- You could go to Solang valley to spend day there, lots of paragliding, just in case you did not get enough time on way back from Rohtang Pass to do paragliding.
Day 11 - drive back to Chandigarh.

If you have 2 more day, you could do Pin Valley, the turn off of Pin Valley is just about past the half way mark between Tabo and Kaza, in fact a few km from turn off for Dhankar.

So with Pin Valley, it would be 13 days. Keep 2 days spare, so your plan should be for a total of 15 days.

if you short on days, then accordingly certain night halts recommended can be removed

As a general rule, a taxi can cost you 3,000 to 3500 a day for an Innova. which is Rs 14 a km x 250 km mandatory per day, plus another 300 to 350 odd a day for driver DA.

Given a choice, I would take an Innova, although a car is not a problem.

at the end of the day, its the journey that matters and that is what will stay in ur blood for ever , its not the destination. For that reason i have given you a relaxed journey, to take in the surroundings, the stop over locations, stop where you want to take pics, take selfies with the best terrain in the world behind you.

happy landings.
RT
Sir , thank you for detail plan..I will plan for 15 days.
Thanks once again