Chennai/Bangalore - Coorg best route and route update

dksarker

Guru
The objective of this thread of mine is to have a common place where we can share the latest update about these routes. I am starting this thread withthe route options and present update as per knowledge. If someone else have a more recent update please do post your update in this thread.

For Chennai/Bangalore - Coorg we have mainly two routes:
1) Chennai - Vellore - Krishnagiri - NICE road Bangalore - Mysore BP - Hunsur - Coorg (601 KM)
You actually do not go upto Mysore Ring Road before that at Srirangapatna you can go towards Hunsur. The route will be as follows:
1a) Chennai - Vellore - Krishnagiri - NICE road Bangalore - Srirangapatna - Hunsur - Coorg (589 KM)
Road From Chennai to Mysore is welknown. Road from Mysore to Coorg is newly laid and in one word fantastic. I think this is the best hill road (In terms of tarmac) in south India. If one is taking the cut from Srirangapatna to Hunsur you will find decent road till Hunsur and after that the fantastic road I mentioned.

2) Chennai - Vellore - Krishnagiri - NICE road Bangalore(full) - Nelamangala - Hassan - Arakalagud - Coorg (630 KM)
Again you do not need to travel to Hassan, instead you can take right from Channarayapattana towards Arakalagud via Holenarasipura.
2a) Chennai - Vellore - Krishnagiri - NICE road Bangalore(full) - Nelamangala - Channarayapattana - Arakalagud - Coorg (620 KM).

There is a little different third choice if you do not want to travel to Bangalore via usual Krishnagiri route. That case most usual alternative is:
3. Chennai - Ranipet - Chittoor - Mulbagal - Bangalore Outer Ring Road - Yashwanthpur - Nelamangala - Channarayapattana - Arakalagud - Coorg (590 KM).

Road from Nelamangala - Channarayapattana is also fantastic 4 laned road. If you traveling towards Hassan then you will not gain much as the road towards Hassan is also 2 laned state road.

I am not aware of road from Channarayapattana to Coorg or Hassan - Coorg as I have not traveled myself on those roads. I travelled from Mangalore - Coorg Road on August 2012, the road was not in good condition. Only the last 30 KM of that road was good. In other places the road construction work was going on as apart of Mangalore - Mysore road.

Last edited:

J.Ravi

Petrol Powered + Diesel Driven
3. Chennai - Ranipet - Chittoor - Mulbagal - Bangalore
Nowadays, this is my favourite route as road-widening works [from 4 lanes to 6 lanes] are in progress in Hosur-Krishnagiri-Vellore section.

The advantages of NH 4 via Kolar/Chittoor are:

* This route is shorter by ~30 km as compared to the route via Krishnagiri/Vellore

* Only two toll plazes as against six [Attibele, Krishnagiri, Vaniyampadi and Pallikonda toll plazas are extra]

* Nice, twisty, wide Mogili ghat section between Palamaner and Chittoor

* Excellent [toll-free for the present] 4 laned NH 4 between Mulabagilu and Bangalore

* Good 2 laned NH 4 between Mulabagilu and Wallajah

sunilanto

There are 2 roads from chennai to bangalore
1. chennai-vellore-krishnagiri-hosur-bangalore
2. chennai-chittoor-palamner-mulbagal-kolar-hoskote-bangalore
the advantage of the first road is more for taxis , they dont have to pay the tax for andhra, driving is thru tamil nadu and good roads. though there is the road works going on at this route. The second route is swift n good saves time and the mulbagal-bangalore section is just amazing tarmac.but here you need to drive in to bangalore city to mysore road or take the ring road and reach the NICE road. the traffic in bangalore on this stretch can hold you up for 2 hours all for 35-40 kms distance to reach the exit. but if you drive down via hosur then you get the NICE road exit from hosur road itself.so you save time . so you choose which road you want to hit.
the next part is bangalore -coorg.
1. bangalore-ramanagaram-maddur- mandya-srirangapatna-hunsur-periyapatna-kushalnagara-madikeri(coorg)
2.bangalore-nelamangala-kunigal-chanraypatna-hassan-sakleshpur-madikeri
again , the best route is the first one, good roads and the regular route. pls take the srirangapatna to hunsur road instead of going to mysore, mysore will hold you up by 30mins . the second road is absolutely beautiful , less travelled by bangaloreans to reach coorg, roads are good till 10kms after sakleshpur, but the drive thru hill country from sakleshpur to madikeri is simply awesome with lovely vistas, and bad roads:( and yes one can use this road when there is cauvery agitations , mysore road is the cradle of cauvery agitations so check n use this regular route.

As most of the information is already provided above, you may have to check the Mandya and Mysore section for a TN registered car to drive during the Cauvery agitations.

I have seen vandals in action on this route for Cauvery water about 4 years back would suggest you to avoid Mandya during this.

Cheers !!!

SG