Chennai - Bangalore Driving Route Update

dksarker

Guru
Chennai - Bangalore is a route many people drive almost every alternative weekends. So I am expecting lots of update on this. I am here to facilitate everone to get started.

From old days these two routes are used for Chennai - Bangalore
1. Chennai - Ranipet - Vellore - Krishnagiri - Hosur - Bangalore (Old NH4, Nh46, NH7)
2. Chennai - Ranipet - Chittoor - Palamaner - Mulbagal - Kolar - Hoskote - Bangalore (Old NH4)

Route 1. Chennai - Vellore - Krishnagiri - Hosur - Bangalore (Old NH4, Nh46, NH7) is called the default route from Chennai to Bangalore. So most people uses it. Chennai to Bangalore is approximately 350 KM by this route. This is all the way 4 laned road. These days in many places the road widening work is in progress for making this a 6 laned road. Another problem on this road is specially after Krisnagiri the road traffic is always very high. Still it is possible most of the time to reach Bangalore from in 5 hours.

On the contrary on route 2 it is 4 laned from Chennai upto Ranipet and then from Mulbagal upto Bangalore. The rest is 2 laned road.

If you want to increase the 4 lane part you have two more alternative:
3. Chennai - Ranipet - Pallikonda - Gudiyatham - Palamaner - Mulbagal - Kolar - Hoskote - Bangalore.
4. Chennai - Ranipet - Pallikonda - Gudiyatham - Venkatagirikota - Mulbagal - Kolar - Hoskote - Bangalore.

Here I am expecting input from all the people who drives from Chennai to Bangalore very often. How is the road condition of Pallikonda - Palamaner section or Pallikonda - Gudiyatham - Venkatagirikota - Mulbagal section.

Again anyone used any other route and have first hand experience and knowledge please share with everyone here.

Last edited:

chenneye

As a biker who doesn't tend to rush but enjoy the ride i prefer route 2 via chithoor.
Agreed that the two lane parts brings out the worst in SRTC buses and private ones,
but this route is more scenic than route1.
Just rode in last week to bangalore... roads in good condition.

dksarker

Guru
After lots of thought at last I finally opted for following route on my way to Pune from Chennai

3. Chennai - Ranipet - Pallikonda - Gudiyatham - Palamaner - Mulbagal - Kolar - Hoskote - Bangalore.

The Pallikonda - Gudiyatham - Palamaner section seems to be recently relayed and most part was good to drive with very few pot holes. I was driving on this road just in the brink of dawn on 10th April 2013. There was miest almost all the way still this 80 Km strech I could complete less than 1.5 hours so you can understand the road condition was OK.

I started from my home at Velachery at 3:20 AM and reached Bangalore ORR at 7:45 AM.

I am just back from a long 6000+ trip Chennai - Pune - Mumbai - Pune - Shirdi - Aurangabad - Jalna - Karanja - Amaravati - Nagpur - Bhilai - Raipur - Sambalpur - Cuttack - Bhubaneswer - Puri - Bhubaneswer - Cuttack - Balasore - Jaleswer - Kolkata (5 night) - Jaleswer -Cuttack - Bhubaneswer - Rambha - Berampur - Anakapalle - Rajahmundry - Vijaywada - Chennai (Home). I am now in the process of writing a travelogue. I will share that in this forum soon.

Last edited:

dksarker

Guru
If Anyone wish to take the following route to Bangalore
Chennai - Ranipet - Pallikonda - Gudiyatham - Palamaner - Mulbagal - Kolar - Hoskote - Bangalore
Please note that once you cross Pallikonda Toll plaza and pay Rs 70 you need to go around 0.5 Km and then take U turn and then take left turn towards Gudiyatham. Watchout for direction as it is easy to miss.

Dowsarpandi

If Anyone wish to take the following route to Bangalore
Chennai - Ranipet - Pallikonda - Gudiyatham - Palamaner - Mulbagal - Kolar - Hoskote - Bangalore
Please note that once you cross Pallikonda Toll plaza and pay Rs 70 you need to go around 0.5 Km and then take U turn and then take left turn towards Gudiyatham. Watchout for direction as it is easy to miss.
Thats Right actually while going from Vellore towards Vaniyambadi

JItheesh Nair

hello folks ... did a chennai-Bangalore trip via Krishnagiri GQ highway yesterday evening .to Keep you posted , there are work going on the GQ and there are diversions on the road , work seems to going slow but the diversions are well marked and the road conditions are relatively better . The big surprise was krishnagiri- to hosur section as most of the six laning work is done and this strech was a breeze to drive except for a few patches in the begining of the Krishnagiri- hosur road and the stretch near hosur . The truck traffic was heavy understandably due to working day . For those planning to travel to chennai via- chitoor / venkatagiri quota pls be cautious abt the ongoing agitation for telingana , in this section the agitations are going for united AP . my friend had to detour whilst going via chitoor putting 120 km extra on the odo .

KurtRules

Come as you are!
Any update here? Heard the route is potholed after the intense rains that lashed Chennai/Bangalore.

mahapatra.prabhanjan

Chennai via - Hosur, Krishnagiri, Vellore, Sriperumbudur is a bliss. Not sure after the recent calamities. But it should be in best shape.
Chennai via Mulbagal was in ok shape except in few stretches in the 2 lane section where you can expect surprise pot holes, undulations and worst because of heavy truck traffic. Recently did on October 6th.

J.Ravi

Petrol Powered + Diesel Driven
Yesterday [14 April 2021], I drove Chennai [Royapettah] to Bangalore [Basaveswara Nagar] via Hosur without bothering the fuel efficiency. Left Chennai home at 1 am and reached Bangalore home at 5:45 am. Home-to-home 356.3 km in 4¾ hours non-stop, resulting in 75 kmph average speed. No Corona checking in TN or KA, not even in TN-KA border. I did not see any checking anywhere in the opposite direction too. Both me and wife were innoculated with the first dose. We didn't have any Corona-negative certificate.

Toll14042021.jpg

MID 14042021.jpg

Last edited: