Chennai to Leh via delhi- Manali

ArunNathan

Hello fellow travellers, I'm looking for good itenary to witness the beauty of leh ladakh trip... Please give me your best recommendations to make this trip fruitful..

I'm planning to take this ride from Delhi to leh via manali and ends my trip in the same route...

I'm planning to complete this ride (Delhi - Leh - Delhi) in 12 days max.. Will that be possible?

I have searched and read more threads about this here.. but still opening up a new one for my betterment... Looking for the good suggestions and positive ways to make this up.. hope this one will get me in to the roads towards leh...

Actually 4 members from chennai starting the trip.
Plans as of now are listed below, Please let me know, If I need to change anything in my plans.

Day 1: Starting from Chennai and heading to delhi through trains. With our bikes (Two RE Bullet Classic 2018 Version)
Day 2: Starting riding to Manali,
Day 3: Buffer day in manali for site seeing..
Day 4: Buffer day in manali for site seeing..
Day 5: Manali to jispa via Rothang Pass (150 KM) - Night stay
Day 6: Jispa to Leh (335 KM) - Night stay
Day 7: Leh Visiting.
Day 8: Leh to Nubra valley.
Day 9: Nubra to Pangong Tso via Kalsar and Shyok valley (Need to check on permission here).
Day 10: Pangong Tso to Tso Moriri and Tso Kar And head towards Leh (Please give me suggestion whether it can doable or not in single stretch).
Day 11: leh to Jispa (335KM) - Night stay.
Day 12: Jispa to Manali - Night stay.
Day 13: Manali to Delhi - Stay if possible or Catch the train.
Day 14: Delhi to chennai through Trains - End of Trip !!

I need to know, What are the passes or permission- we need to get and where. And Whether we need any documents to travel in our own bikes( TN Registration) .

Thanks in advance !!

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Train journey will take a couple of days and you would be better off travelling to Jammu or Udhampur and beginning your journey from there, taking the Srinagar route to Leh. This will help you acclimatize gradually to high altitude and allow you to see both the routes.

Manali does not merit 3 nights, when you do not have time in Ladakh, so use it as a night halt.

After Pangong Tso, keep a night halt at Tso Moriri, before heading back to Leh or riding towards Manali.

For Diskit – Pangong – Tso Moriri – Leh you will need enough fuel for 590 km. For Diskit – Pangong – Tso Moriri – Pang – Tandi you need enough fuel for 735 km.

Keep a buffer day in Delhi so that in case you are delayed en route, you will not end up missing your train.

You will need permit for Nubra Valley, Pangong Tso, Tso Moriri, Chushul, Nyoma and Loma. You can obtain permit from LAHDC Leh Permit.

Motorcycles need to be in the name of the riders or their next of kin, otherwise for Nubra and Pangong you will have to rent motorcycles from Leh.

ArunNathan

Thanks for the swift response Yogesh Sarkar.

Now only read and understood the AMS and the route details. Let me work on with the new plan for the trip.

If possible, please share some of the ideas of yours. everything will be very useful for us.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Here is the itinerary I would recommend.

Day 1: Arrive in Jammu and ride to Srinagar (only possible if you reach Jammu by 7-8 am).

Day 2: Srinagar to Kargil, en route visit Sonamarg and Drass War Memorial, after Drass.

Day 3: Kargil to Leh, en route you can see Maitreya Statue at Mulbek, Lamayuru Monastery, Indus and Zanskar Confluence, Gurudwara Pathar Sahib and Magnetic Hill.

Day 4: Get the motorcycles checked. Visit Shanti Stupa, Hall of Fame, Leh Palace and Tsemo Gompa.

Day 5: Leh to Nubra Valley via Khardung La. First visit Sumur Monastery and Panamik Hot Springs, then head to Hunder Village for night stay.

Day 6: Visit the Hunder Sand Dunes; afterwards visit the Maitreya Statue at Diskit Monastery. Make sure to start for Pangong Tso by 10 am. Stay at Lukung or Spangmik. In case you are delayed en route, you can stay at Durbuk or better yet, at Tangste.

Day 7: Ride back to Leh, en route visit Hemis, Thiksey and Shey Monasteries.

Day 8: Leh to Tso Moriri via Upshi and Chumathang. Visit the Chumathang Hot Springs. Stay at Korzok Village.

Day 9: Tso Moriri to Sarchu via Tso Kar.

Day 10: Sarchu to Manali.

Day 11: Manali to Delhi.

Day 12: Buffer day.

In order to do Tso Moriri en route to Manali, you will have to carry enough fuel for 550 km. After Leh, the next petrol pump is at Tandi.

There is always the option of taking the Chushul route to Tso Moriri or even covering Hanle as well. However, you will need to carry more fuel for it and ride would be harder.

ArunNathan

Thanks a lot for the detailed travel plans.

After checking your itenary, We are end with this(Almost your itenary), Please check and give us your suggestion Yogesh !!

Day 1: Starting from Chennai and heading to delhi through trains. With our bikes (Two RE Bullet Classic 2018 Version)

Day 2: We are reaching Delhi by Afternoon. Riding towards Jammu and late night half in jammu.

Day 3: Jammu to Srinagar, Dal Lake.

Day 4: Srinagar to Kargil, en route visit Sonamarg and Drass War Memorial, after Drass.

Day 5: Kargil to Leh, en route you can see Maitreya Statue at Mulbek, Lamayuru Monastery, Indus and Zanskar Confluence, Gurudwara Pathar Sahib and Magnetic Hill.

Day 6: Get the motorcycles checked. Visit Shanti Stupa, Hall of Fame, Leh Palace and Tsemo Gompa.

Day 7: Leh to Nubra Valley via Khardung La. First visit Sumur Monastery and Panamik Hot Springs, then head to Hunder Village for night stay.

Day 8: Visit the Hunder Sand Dunes; afterwards visit the Maitreya Statue at Diskit Monastery. Make sure to start for Pangong Tso by 10 am. Stay at Lukung or Spangmik. In case you are delayed en route, you can stay at Durbuk or better yet, at Tangste.

Day 9: Ride back to Leh, en route visit Hemis, Thiksey and Shey Monasteries.

Day 10: Leh to Tso Moriri via Upshi and Chumathang. Visit the Chumathang Hot Springs. Stay at Korzok Village.

Day 11: Tso Moriri to Sarchu via Tso Kar.

Day 12: Sarchu to Manali.

Day 13: Buffer Day in Manali - Visiting few places in Local.

Day 14: Manali to Delhi.

Day 15: Afternoon return Train to chennai.

Day 16: We will be in chennai by Night. (End of trip) with Memories !!

Rohit Kothari

Super User
The Day 2 and Day3 parts look really hectic. Delhi - Jammu can take anywhere around 10hrs and above even on 4 wheels. And given that most of it will be night riding it will take more than 10 hrs fro sure. With that the next day from Jammu - Srinagar will also be tiresome.
Would suggest to take the train upto Jammu and start from there.
For the return part you can take a train from Chdgrh/Delhi.

ArunNathan

If you're reaching Delhi by afternoon, then reaching Jammu the same day likely won't be possible.
We will reach Delhi station by Morning 10:30 AM. After all the process of station. We can start our ride by 1PM. So that we will reach Jammu by night 10 or Max by 12PM.

Will this possible Yogesh !!

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
If you are able to start at 1 pm from Delhi, then you should be able to reach Jammu around midnight. There will be traffic pretty much everywhere, including in Delhi, when you begin your ride.

I forgot to ask you earlier, when are you planning to do this ride?

ArunNathan

I forgot to ask you earlier, when are you planning to do this ride?
The exact date is not finalised yet.

Mostly June month, Any friday ! - We have the trains (chennai to delhi - Fast express) only on friday. so, The ride from delhi to Jammu will be on Saturday..