Chennai to Leh via delhi- Manali

@ArunNathan
I see flight fares from Chennai to Delhi is around Rs. 3100 (post June 20th) Vs Rajdhani (Friday train) Rs. 2800+extra. So why not send bikes through Railway parcel few days before, take early morning flight to Delhi and go to station around 8-9 AM and take delivery of your bikes, then start to Jammu? Same applies for return too. If you think that taking bike alongwith you as luggage the bike transfer charges are a bit higher than parcel charges. So Train travel+Bike Luggage will be same as Flight + Bike parcel.
Benefit here will be peaceful mind to start to Jammu and return journey by flight to Chennai will be less tiring too.

ArunNathan

@ArunNathan
I see flight fares from Chennai to Delhi is around Rs. 3100 (post June 20th) Vs Rajdhani (Friday train) Rs. 2800+extra. So why not send bikes through Railway parcel few days before, take early morning flight to Delhi and go to station around 8-9 AM and take delivery of your bikes, then start to Jammu? Same applies for return too. If you think that taking bike alongwith you as luggage the bike transfer charges are a bit higher than parcel charges. So Train travel+Bike Luggage will be same as Flight + Bike parcel.
Benefit here will be peaceful mind to start to Jammu and return journey by flight to Chennai will be less tiring too.
Yeah Kprasad. The rate are almost equal only. But, The problem is - We don't have any friends in Delhi to collect our bikes and keep it safe..

Bec of that, we are planning to carry bikes as luggage and be with us in the same train. :p

Reactions: cat

ArunNathan

Thanks a lot for the detailed travel plans.

After checking your itenary, We are end with this(Almost your itenary), Please check and give us your suggestion Yogesh !!

Day 1: Starting from Chennai and heading to delhi through trains. With our bikes (Two RE Bullet Classic 2018 Version)

Day 2: We are reaching Delhi by Afternoon. Riding towards Jammu and late night half in jammu.

Day 3: Jammu to Srinagar, Dal Lake.

Day 4: Srinagar to Kargil, en route visit Sonamarg and Drass War Memorial, after Drass.

Day 5: Kargil to Leh, en route you can see Maitreya Statue at Mulbek, Lamayuru Monastery, Indus and Zanskar Confluence, Gurudwara Pathar Sahib and Magnetic Hill.

Day 6: Get the motorcycles checked. Visit Shanti Stupa, Hall of Fame, Leh Palace and Tsemo Gompa.

Day 7: Leh to Nubra Valley via Khardung La. First visit Sumur Monastery and Panamik Hot Springs, then head to Hunder Village for night stay.

Day 8: Visit the Hunder Sand Dunes; afterwards visit the Maitreya Statue at Diskit Monastery. Make sure to start for Pangong Tso by 10 am. Stay at Lukung or Spangmik. In case you are delayed en route, you can stay at Durbuk or better yet, at Tangste.

Day 9: Ride back to Leh, en route visit Hemis, Thiksey and Shey Monasteries.

Day 10: Leh to Tso Moriri via Upshi and Chumathang. Visit the Chumathang Hot Springs. Stay at Korzok Village.

Day 11: Tso Moriri to Sarchu via Tso Kar.

Day 12: Sarchu to Manali.

Day 13: Buffer Day in Manali - Visiting few places in Local.

Day 14: Manali to Delhi.

Day 15: Afternoon return Train to chennai.

Day 16: We will be in chennai by Night. (End of trip) with Memories !!
@Yogesh Sarkar

I have checked with two of my friends, Who already went to Leh bike rides.

They said, The rides of Delhi - jammu - leh - Manali - Delhi in 16 days is too difficult. All the time, we need to travel only.. We won't get time to relax and visit the places.
If possible, Can you please update with the time frame of our itinerary. So that it will be easy for me to plan based on that.

Thanks in advance.

smoothwanderer

in june - july the monsoon would have set in and the ride would be strenuous as the roads would be slushy with landslides isn't it ? and the views wouldn't be as beautiful as in summer.

ArunNathan

in june - july the monsoon would have set in and the ride would be strenuous as the roads would be slushy with landslides isn't it ? and the views wouldn't be as beautiful as in summer.
Oops, Then which will be the best month to ride in Leh Ladakh Smoothwanderer.

Actually, we were planning to change our plans for August month. Which will be good.. June or August month!!

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
@Yogesh Sarkar

I have checked with two of my friends, Who already went to Leh bike rides.

They said, The rides of Delhi - jammu - leh - Manali - Delhi in 16 days is too difficult. All the time, we need to travel only.. We won't get time to relax and visit the places.
If possible, Can you please update with the time frame of our itinerary. So that it will be easy for me to plan based on that.

Thanks in advance.
Skip Tso Moriri and spend 1 extra night in Leh, before traveling to Manali. You would be able to relax this way. On most of the days you will be riding between 7-10 hours, except when you ride from Delhi to Jammu and from Manali to Delhi.

with the current situation in kashmir is it advisable to go via srinagar ?
It is difficult to predict so far in future. However, it is best to avoid Kashmir around election time.

Oops, Then which will be the best month to ride in Leh Ladakh Smoothwanderer.

Actually, we were planning to change our plans for August month. Which will be good.. June or August month!!
July and August are monsoon months in North India. If you wish to avoid rain, then avoid riding at that time. Additionally, around Independence Day, Kashmir is always tense and at high alert.

Yeah Kprasad. The rate are almost equal only. But, The problem is - We don't have any friends in Delhi to collect our bikes and keep it safe..

Bec of that, we are planning to carry bikes as luggage and be with us in the same train. :p
Then my suggestion is early morning head from Delhi airport to NDLS Station and collect you bikes ! Let bikes be in luggage room at Delhi for two days. No problem then too.

I think mid June to last June you can travel and the freshly opened roads will be delightful too. August Yes it will rain.