Coimbatore – Malampuzha half day touring

barathee

November 7, 2009 - That was a beautiful Saturday for me. I have been thinking the previous day night to go somewhere else for a short trip. yes, decided, it is Malampuzha Dam which is just 60 kms away from Coimbatore. I am very much interested to travel in Palakkad highway, ofcourse, to have an interstate biking in my touring achievements :grin:

This road will be full of greeneries, traveling in the early morning is one of the heavenly tasks you are doing in your life. In addition the road will be stright and long enough. But full of dangerous container lorries and kerala state buses :shock:

Got up at my second alarm at 5-45 AM. brushed up and a quick bath.

November 7, 2009 06:45 AM
Started my beloved lover Glady SS and warmed up for a minute. after traveling into the narrow streets and lonely local roads, I caught the L&T byepass road. This part of NH 47 connects Palakkad highway with Coimbatore-Chennai Highway

This is a very good work by L&T, makes the cars and fellow drivers to run at higher speeds. very stright and long road! It is very beautiful in the early morning.

Since I am new to this road and want to enjoy the places, I dint go above 60. It is very good to feel the cool air midst of snow! :rolleyes:

November 7, 2009 07:30 AM
Later the road joins with Palakkad highway, worst traffic comes up because of container lorries and buses. Right hand side is covered by continuous western ghats. But most of them are hidden with snow. In some places, the entire hill is hidden :rolleyes: I was taking some snaps and proceeding

November 7, 2009 07:40 AM
Just reached Walayar, This is a small village, located as the last destination in Tamilnadu. I stopped here for sometime to take some snaps of Walayar lake and some places near by. I liked this place very much.

November 7, 2009 07:50 AM

Reached the Tamilnadu Kerala border. Kerala welcomes us with an good olden arch, which is very uglier! Following this we are travelling inside forest and fields. The travel is lovable because of them. You can see a looooong que of lorries here always.

Travelling inside kerala is not so comfortable like TN. lot of small villages coming with in few distance gap. keralite 'chetans' in typical lungies and coloured dhothis will be smoking 'beedi' and staning in the roads :D

I was about to take a turn before Pollachi road joins with NG 47, but missed it somehow. But I know there is a road goes from Palakkad bye pass. So, I am okay with it, took a hot tea at Pudhussery, just 8 kms before Palakkad.

November 7, 2009 08:36 AM

I am taking a branch to Malampuzha dam from Palakkad-Calicut byepass, It is just 8 kms from here.

On the way I could see a low height bridge (how to call it in english) which makes me so crazy. because it is full of birds enjoying the greeneries and free flowing river.

Due to overbridge work, I need to take lot of take diversions. The roads are curvy ups and downs.

November 7, 2009 09:00 AM
Reached Malampuzha and took entry ticket to have a leisurely walk on the dam. Dam is filled with water and no water is released from the dam as of now. No ferry ride due to recent accident at Thekkady.

November 7, 2009 10:10 AM
While returning I took the short cut road, which I missed earlier. This lonely road goes through dense forests, in some places there is no sun light!!! I was thinking like if somebody come and beat me enough to kidnap my glady :confused: ha ha!

I could reach Coimbatore highway after a couple of enquiries. This time I had a non stop ride with limited speed.

November 7, 2009 11:00 AM
It was raining a bit, but not heavy. I enjoyed it very much! reached coimbatore back, cursing many omni bus and lorry drivers.

distance 130 kms up & down
max speed reached 75 KMPH

murillo

Hello Barathee,

Very picturesque photos. Soothing to the eye.

Yes, driving slow helps us to take in the views and we can enjoy more of the trip (and safer too). Driving helter-skelter drains us of our energy and we tend to miss what we seek

barathee

@hiambuj Thanks yaar! I really liked every moment in this trip. I am glad you liked it too.

Last edited:

barathee

@murillo I am glad you read it in detail. Lower speed is good and some places it is necessary. I was in chennai for almost 5 years. But driving is chennai is much easier than other parts of our state. road sense is very bad here.

Thanks for your comments

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Barathee, very very beautiful log and the pics are awesome!
No wonder too, as you're using a Sony H2! :)

And I'm sure you meant 'clouds' there, not 'snow'!