Coming back to life - Zanskar, August 2017

Discussion in 'Travelogues from North India' started by Yogesh Yadav, Jun 22, 2017.

1. racingkid

racingkid New Member

Great going Guys. You all seem very excited and I am excited too seeing all this. O:)

Its like seeing wedding preparations before the wedding. Preparations ka bhi ek apna maza hota hai.

2. Yogesh Yadav

Yogesh Yadav Travel is the healthiest addiction.

11/7/2017

The security situation in South Kashmir, particularly Anantnag has been playing on our minds based on all the news reports. In all my travels to Kashmir over the last two decades, i have never heard nor witnessed tourists being targetted. Yesterday's attack on the Amarnath pilgrims came as a surprise and we have been discussing what actions would need to be taken in case of such untoward incidents during our passage through to Kargil via Srinagar. The way we see it is that we ride through our people, our country, so there ideally should be no second thoughts. Godspeed to all of us and all those affected.

On a different note, I got my fuel mounts made today. I did not intend on welding or drilling holes around the front frame of the Himalayan and hence decided to try a different design. It turned out well. 2 hours in the making, INR 500 for the frame and 250 for the powder coating and a pat on the back for Zubair who made it.

IMG_20170711_120201.jpg IMG_20170711_131356.jpg IMG_20170711_134402.jpg IMG_20170711_135030.jpg

3. Alpha

Alpha Going to Neverland

great going guys

4. Dry Ice

Dry Ice Well-Known Member

Maybe a safer option could be Manali - Lamayuru - Kargil. *Maybe*

ATB for the trip!

5. nadz11.ns

nadz11.ns Super User

Hope you guys have completed the ride preparetion and eagerly waiting for the start date. :)

6. Yogesh Yadav

Hi Nadeem, yes, the preps are almost done and we are raring to go. Thanks for asking.

Could you update us on the situation around Pahalgam currently? We leave Jammu on 5th August for Pahalgam and then we will leave Pahalgam on 6th August for Kargil. Thanks for your help.

nadz11.ns likes this.
  7. nadz11.ns

nadz11.ns Super User

[​IMG]

The situation is tricky these days. Strike calls are given by one party or the other every other day, but they hardly affect normal life now. If you are too scared like others, skip it. But to tell the truth, there is no issue as such. I was there myself till 15th I think.
    I would suggest you go ahead towards Sonmarg instead. If you leave Jammu around 5 am, you will easily reach Srinagar around 12:30-1pm. It will save time the next day towards ZojiLa and Kargil.

BenHur likes this.
  8. Yogesh Yadav

26/7/2017: Racing against time and the battle within.

So for 15 days, there hasn't been an update here. Of all things possible, i was hit with a severe bout of neck, back and shoulder pain all combined starting 10th July. Pain so severe that it stopped me in my tracks, at times making me question what's going to become of me as i near the trip date. I treated myself with IMS Therapy (Intra muscular stimulation) which basically is a modified version of Accupuncture therapy wherein very fine needles are inserted into the pained area to release the muscles and relieve the pain. It worked for two sessions but post the 3rd session, all the pain rebounded and i was stranded. Muscle relaxants, massages, physiotherapy, nothing was working. One thing was sure, i wouldn't think twice about doing the trip, but how was a question that didn't have a lot of answers left.

God has been a friend all my life. And in walks this contact via a friend. He's supposedly an advanced level yoga guru having done miracles with people's cervical, shoulder etc etc pain among other therapies.
    Having tried multiple options, this was yet another one i was willing to try to be up and running. I started with Yogacharya Agrawalji from 17th July and have completed 8 sessions since. Each session has been grueling stretches, positions i couldn't fathom doing in that condition. But what he has worked most on is my spirit, my belief, my firm conviction that the body heals itself, it doesn't need medications to do so, you just have to tell it to heal itself, in the right way (i may sound strange but it has done wonders). So here i am, all ready to go. The battle within replaced with confidence, comfort and visions of the impending scenic landscapes.

I've also been impressed with Nelson's resilience and mind over matter in the current situation. He had to complete a month long schedule at the Oil rig between all of the preparation and will arrive only tomorrow, exactly a week before we travel. The rig stint has limitations; no phone network, long working hours, weak internet connectivity...basically all designed to curtail your ability to plan and execute tasks even remotely. Nevertheless, he's led from the front, meticulously delegating tasks and trying to keep up with us via Whatsapp in the middle of the ocean. I didn't get the sense that he panicked once, or got frustrated about the confined atmosphere (the only way he can come back home is via approved helicopter trips or by swimming all the way back to Mumbai, LOL).

We did a small shopping trip to pick up camping and trip supplies this week with Zenobia (Nelson's wife) who will be joining us on the trip from Leh on 14th August 2017.

IMG-20170726-WA0013.jpg

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  9. Yogesh Yadav

Thanks, Nadeem. Absolutely nothing to be scared about, Kashmir has never made me think twice. Just wanted to plan based on real-time or local information.

I have to meet a long time friend in Pahalgam and hence will stay overnight there at his hotel and then leave the next day for Kargil.

10. nadz11.ns

nadz11.ns Super User

Happy to help.

That's good then :)
    Still, if at that particular time, there is any issue, ping me. I have relatives just 40kms before Pahalgam.

Just concentrate on enjoying the trip :-({|=
    I am particularly interested in the Zanskar leg of the trip and details.