Control Camera Wirelessly with TP-LINK MR3040

rameshtahlan

Super User
Ok guys
need someone to guide me step by step.

Presently i am using a cable connected to my android mob and Canon
and i have qdslrdashboard loaded on mob.
and it is working great.
it also has an option for automation for Light Room Time Lapse for sunsets and sunrises.

BUT

I want to control camera wirelessly with TP-LINK MR3040
the problem is i have to load a software on TP Link router.
and though there is a video on youtube, and also instruction on net about it, i am just not able to understand it or do it practically

Has anyone done it, and can guide me step by step, will be great.

happy landings
RT

iamsomnath

Where is the remote?
I use it . I followed the youtube tutorial to set this up. This one
. Follow step by step and it has to happen. At least I had no issues.

rameshtahlan

Super User
iamsomnath,

thanks for that link,
i went through that video a couple of times,
Let me try once more,

if i can't get it to work, would request if i can call you.
before that will post some images that i will take with my mob and post them here to show you where i am getting stuck

hensil

Guru
Hi Ramesh,
I once thought of going that route i.e modifying the TP-Link MR3040 but gave up because there was too much involved.
The main problem was getting the MR3040 easily and then working on the modification.
I have used DLSRdasboard successfully with the USB cable.
I would recommend to get this
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/case-remote-air-make-your-camera-smart#/
It is on crowd funding and will cost only $69 now. It looks like a nice product working smoothly. I 'll get one.
If you are not going to use the bulb ramping for timelapse photography (can be done with DSLRdashboard) then get one of the wireless remotes with intervalometer.
They work flawlessly and that too at quite distance. I use this and have two of them.
http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm?page=dslrremotecontrols&pId=60

Henry.

rameshtahlan

Super User
Thanks for all that info.

A friend came over today and did all the dirty work to install firmware onto MR3040.
It finally got working wirelessly....

BUT... and it is a big BUT

On 7D it is very unstable. Works for a few seconds then goes off.
On 5D Mk3 not compatible. It does not operate most of tje time. And the one yimw it did seem to vome on The Live View does not work. After that again it would just not work with 5D Mk3

SO I am back with the cable on 5D Mk3. But I don't get Live View. Which I ok. When camera clicks I get a review.which is good enough for me to change Shutter Speed and ISO for ramping in LRT.

So next week will send email mail to these guys. But I doubt there is a solution

I also tried on Soni NEX6. Not compatible.

iamsomnath

Where is the remote?
Thanks for all that info.

A friend came over today and did all the dirty work to install firmware onto MR3040.
It finally got working wirelessly....

BUT... and it is a big BUT

On 7D it is very unstable. Works for a few seconds then goes off.
On 5D Mk3 not compatible. It does not operate most of tje time. And the one yimw it did seem to vome on The Live View does not work. After that again it would just not work with 5D Mk3

SO I am back with the cable on 5D Mk3. But I don't get Live View. Which I ok. When camera clicks I get a review.which is good enough for me to change Shutter Speed and ISO for ramping in LRT.

So next week will send email mail to these guys. But I doubt there is a solution

I also tried on Soni NEX6. Not compatible.
It is working flawlessly with my D810. Basically all it does is to mimic the live view. So if it works for a few second, there is no reason why it should not work continuously unless there is a physical issue. Do check the cable.
Cheers

rameshtahlan

Super User
ok, figured out some things with the MR3040 and 5D Mk3
so connect the device one has to tough 2 icons, which is not given in any video or manual. so got that now.
on the 5D Mk3, live view does not come automatically,
it has to selected on the camera body.
all functions on android working to control camera.
have to now figure out how to set up auto LRT for sunsets.
BUT before that let me hook up 7D again and test basics.

rameshtahlan

Super User
really wondering what the hell i was doing yesterday.

so now i hooked up MR3040 to 7D
and it seems to be holding
the good part is that LV come on automatically without having to select it manually on camera body
wish the same would happen of 5D Mk3

May be on he 7D i had previously set Auto Off to 1 min, and that may have been creating the problem
so I set it to 8 min, and it is holding pretty well, not disconnecting like yesterday.

iamsomnath

Where is the remote?
really wondering what the hell i was doing yesterday.

so now i hooked up MR3040 to 7D
and it seems to be holding
the good part is that LV come on automatically without having to select it manually on camera body
wish the same would happen of 5D Mk3

May be on he 7D i had previously set Auto Off to 1 min, and that may have been creating the problem
so I set it to 8 min, and it is holding pretty well, not disconnecting like yesterday.
Voila :-D