Darcha–Padum Road built

adsatinder

explorer
Hi Yogesh, We are 3 bikers from Dharamshala, H.P. Will the Darcha-Padum road open in by mid August? Do we need special permit to get to Zanskar? Thank you for your inputs in advance.
This Road is still in Construction Phase.
You can go till the road is open or reachable on vehicles.
False News comes and goes about its opening.
Even Media has NO Idea about it.
Reality is totally different.
You have to go via regular route only to Zanskar i.e. Via Kargil - Leh Road only.
This side will take some years to open.

Last edited:

adsatinder

explorer
@Gurughumakkad

Status of Darcha to Padum Road

Rajendra884 RP

Published on May 15, 2018

SUBSCRIBE 736
This is an interaction with Mr. Tsering Dorjay, then Zonal Education Officer at Padum for Zanskar Valley, Ladakh, who explained in detail the status of road linking Padum, Zanskar Valley with Leh-Manali Highway, via Darcha. Dtd 17-Aug-2017

adsatinder

explorer

Trekking in 2008 on this route:

Trekking Wild Zanskar - Darcha to Padum, India

ContemporaryNomad
Published on Nov 2, 2008

SUBSCRIBE 2.7K
Join us on the first half of our trek across Zanskar as we hike through roadless mountains and river valleys from Darcha to Padum. The video features our climb to the stunning pass, Shinkul La (5,100 m), our first encounter with Zanskari nomads, homestays in isolated villages, overnight stays in Phuktal and Mune monasteries, and more.

adsatinder

explorer
Check how tough is this road in below video !
I have heard that this route is worst in terms of stability.
Even if it opens, it will see many closures at times.
Hills are not stable at all !
Expect to open late in season as the priority is not on top to open this route.

Shinku La / Shinko La / Shingo La : Darcha to Zanskar : New Motorable Pass

Roads of Himalayas
Published on Nov 30, 2015

SUBSCRIBE 1K
The Rovers at Shinku La ! First indivual Civilians who reached at Shinku La with vehicles just after BRO rally on opening ceremony 20-Sept-2015 This video is filmed between Darcha to Shinku La. Lahaul and Spiti, Himachal Pradesh, India. Shinku La : High altitude pass in Indian Himalayas. BRO has just constructed a new road to enter in Zanskar Valley from Darcha Lahaul, Himachal Pradesh side. Opening date of Shinku La : 20-Sept-2015 The Rovers Feet : 28-Sept-2015

adsatinder

explorer
Another video of tough terrain :

Shinku La - New Gateway To Zanskar II High Altitude Road Above 5000Mtr

FalconRiders

Published on May 15, 2017

SUBSCRIBE 21K
Shinku La/Shingo La is a high altitude pass which connects Zanskar valley to Darcha to Leh Road. It's an extremely tough ride. We did it in October 2016 and it was an almost closing time of the route. Enjoy the journey of Shinku La with this video its will surely make you feel to go and do it yourself!!!

500modder

I doubt it, unless you are willing to carry it some of the way.
Just to be clear I was only asking about the darcha - padum stretch. I know there is still a lot of work to be don't on the zangla - chilling section (at least 30km of road to be made).
I heard the bulldozers coming from the padum side had met dozers from the kurgyak side and that stretch of road was unpaved but connected. Are you saying there are parts of the kurgyak padum stretch that are impassable even with offroaders?