Debut Bike Ride To Binsar On A Borrowed Karizma

narender

DRIFTER
Beforebe starting this short log I have one confession to made that though I have never own a bike , never driven a bike more than 30 km in one go still I completed my 875 kmlong journey minus any bruise to myself and bike.Whole credit goes to all the BIKERS(insane) of BCMT,who inspired me .I have only one thing related to riding and that is my 10years riding experience but on my bajaj bravo scooter(1999model)which i still use .
DESTINATION--binsar
DATE--2nd july&3rd july 2009
KICK OFF TIME--4 am at DWARKA on 2nd july
FINISH TIME--12 nidnight at DWARKA on 3rd july
TIME TAKEN--44 hours
DISTANCE COVERED--875km approx
BIKE TORTURED--Karizma 220 borrowed from a friend
NO OF BIKE--one
NO OF RIDERS--two
FUEL BURNT--900 INR(dont remember quantity)
GMVN RENT--1600 INR
OTHER EXPENSE--800 INR
SATISFACTION--priceless

here goes the full story
there is no doubt that all the riders here on bcmt aptly know how to spread the bug of disease termed TWO WHEEL TOURING through their wonderful and adventerous bikng stories,me being the one of the victims.This bug forced me to leave behind my two kids with my mother,borrow a bike ,loaded it with necessary stuff (wife) and ride it till binsar.End of june was fast approaching and school were scheduled to reopen on 1st july .End of june means monsoon in delhi and no need to go to the hills.Suddenly around 29 th june(official date of monsoon hitting delhi), there were news of monsoon giving delhi a slip ,resulting in unbearable scorching heat and delhi govt extending summer vacations and ordered all the schools to remain closed till 8th july.Good news for us as my kids' schools ,my school and my wife(both of us govt school teachers) school are closed for next seven days.With so many days at hands ,this time I decided to leave my car and my two kids behind and try to ride a bike.I persuaded my mother to take care of kids just for two days.I set the alarm for 3.30 am and hit the sack.To my shock ,when i woke up it was all wet outside and pouring mercilessly.First ride in rain ,my mom would kill both of us.I silently murmered in wife'sear and opened the door and drove off before anyone notice.Tanked up at petrol pump opposite hyat hotel and begin my debut ride towards gazipur border in heavy rain for next 3 hours .max speed 30km/ph.Due to rain ,could not shoot,so no pic.We had only two days so i decided to take few break and do photography only after reaching in hills.
I HAD TO REST ON ROADSIDE
REST ROAD SIDE.JPG

The road in the following pic is fantastic,full of greenry on both side ,very scenic ride and you can go full throttle for next 30-40 km on smooth tarmac
ENROUTE TO KALADHUNGI
ENROUTE KALADHUNGI.JPG

we were nearing the kaladhungi when i saw this small hero hond showroom and service station.I stopprd my bike and asked the mechenic to prepare my bike for hill driving.He checked oil level ,tighten the brakes and chain,greased the chain and gave me assurence of no break down barring a flat tire.He charged only ten bucks for this job.

BIKE BEING INSPECTED
BIKE CHECKED.JPG

CITY OF ALMORA
ALMORA.JPG

after twelve hours we reached at almora around 4 pm .I saw an kmvn gh and enquired about accomodation at binsar.the guy at counter gave me a cell number of person posted at kmvn binsar.I rang him up and asked him about room availability.He said he has some room vacant but promised if we reached there in before 7 pm, we would be given a room.In binsar only option you have is kmvn .Mahindra was already out as we were on budget holiday.It was 5 pm at almora and we had to covered 34 km steep ascent in one of the thickest forests.Sunlight was down and darkness falling fast I reached at the entry gate of Binsar sanctury.Road was barricded,pay 40/rs per head to forest official and you are in.
FOREST CHNECK POINT
FOREST CHECK.JPG

VIEW ENROUTN TO BINSAR
VIEW AT BINSAR.JPG

We reached at kmvn around 7 pm after a lonely and fearful ride in thickly forested ,poor condition road.I could not enter my details in GH register as my hands were numb in cold .Yes it was`very cold there ,a complete opposite to delhi wether.Our souls were very content after reaching such a wonderful place full of natural beauty on a bike .We Checked into our room,gulped down three KINGFISHER STRONG and gorged on hot and tasty meal served by staff.It was around 9PM, we retire for sleep.We were not aslleep ,we were dead ,afterall we had covered 400+km on a bike.Bodies were crumbling,thank god almora had a wine shop.Next morning ,someone knocked the door ,he was a kmvn guy,serving bed tea

BEDTEA
BEDTEA.JPG

KMVN HOTEL
KMVN HOTEL.JPG

KMVN HAS A TERRACE WITH BEST VIEWS
TERRACE.JPG

OTHER TOURIST ENJOYING TEA
OTHER TOURIST.JPG

ME SIPPING TEA AT KMVN TERRACE
ME SIPPING TEA.JPG

We hurriedly got ready ,finished our breakfast and clear the bill .I decided to do ride further deep in the jungle to explore and some intersting pics
COMMON DINNER HALL OF KMVN
DINING HALL.JPG

BINSAR FOREST
FOREST.JPG

INSIDE BINSAR SANCTURY
ME IN BINSAR SANCTURY.JPG

ROAD GOING DEEP IN THE JUNGLE
DEEP ROAD.JPG

BETTER HALF IN BINSAR SANCTURY
BETTER HALF.JPG

After enjoying the pristine beauty of thic forest it was time to start journey back home which was 435 km away.We took diffrent route for return journey and ride thru Ranikhet
RANIKHET GOLFCOURSE
GOLFCOURSE (1).JPG

RANIKHET GOLFCOURSE 2
GOLFCOURSE2.JPG

LAST PIC OF THE RIDE (in corbet)
LAST.JPG

mission accomplished,ability to ride long distance tested.I have started saving money for THUNDERBIRD TWINSPARK
THANKS BCMT for putting me on the right path.

Last edited:

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
re: Debut Bike Ride To Binsar On A Borrowed Karizma

Narender, first of all, congrats on your first ever motorcycle tour :) and big thanks for treating us with these lovely photographs.

Ps. if you are going to be touring with your wife, do get her a helmet as well.

Salil

Super Moderator
Staff member

Congrats! Good to see you get into biking. Thanks for the lovely photos. Keep riding! And yes - helmet for pillion as well please.

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member

Narender, a beautiful, short & sweet travelogue! :)
Lovely pics too!

Congrats on your first long distance mobike ride!

And, LOL, you've got it a little wrong there in the beginning of your log:
there is no doubt that all the riders here on bcmt aptly know how to spread the bug of disease termed TWO WHEEL TOURING
The bug is called just that - a bug. And 'keeda' in Hindi!!
Many afflicted souls do it on two wheels, some on four wheels and some without any wheels at all!! Though, I must say, haven't seen anyone here doing it on three wheels, in an autorickshaw, LOL!! :grin:

narender

DRIFTER

Thanks anupji ,yogesh and salil for stopping by and encouraging words.credit solely goes to the fellow members.

abhijithora

Hi Narender a nice travelogue & pix's ..

Congrats on your first ever motorcycle tour & soon you will be leaving for another one as your "Keeda" which has arised will not let you sit on Weekends & holidays

narender...congrats!!

The ubiquitous bcmt 'keeda' has struck!!!
bravo!!

imjoshee

Guru

Congratulations on your first bike trip.Good photographs.

hiambuj

Staff member

Narender, It was pleasure meeting you in teh Sunday BCMT meet !! An equal pleasure is reading your travelogue & viewing these pics !!

Congrats for your maiden ride !!