Defensive Driving Tips

driver23

Increasing number of cars and traffic getting bad day by dad, Defensive Driving is something need to be focused. Please update any useful tips that comes in your mind or link the article that you might have read.

Be alert: Never think the other motorist will not make a driving mistake.

Be prepared: Learn what to do in any situation when you have to act fast, and
always expect the unexpected.

Act in time: Try not to panic. Know what to do if something happens suddenly

- - - Updated - - -

Hydroplaning - Hydroplaning happens when the water in front of the tires builds up faster than the vehicle’s weight can push out of the way. The water pressure causes the vehicle to rise up and slide in a thin layer of water between the tires and the road. At this point, the vehicle can be completely out of contact with the road, and in danger of skidding or drifting out of the lane.

If you find yourself hydroplaning or skidding:
- do not brake or turn suddenly;
- ease your foot off the accelerator pedal until the vehicle slows and you can feel traction on the road again;
- Turn your steering wheel in the direction of the skid. As you recover control, gently straighten the wheels; and
- if you need to brake, do it gently with light pumping action. Your vehicle has anti-lock brakes, then brake normally. Because the vehicle’s computer will mimic a pumping action.

There are three main factors that contribute to hydroplaning:

- Vehicle speed. As speed increases, wet traction is considerably reduced. Since hydroplaning can result in a complete loss of traction and vehicle control, you should always reduce speed when driving in wet weather.
- Tire tread depth. Maintaining adequate treading on tires and replacing them when necessary can help prevent hydroplaning. Tire experts can measure tread depth with a specially designed tread depth gauge and recommend checking tire treads depth every 2-3 months.
- Water depth. The deeper the water, the sooner you will lose traction, although even thin water layers can cause a loss of traction, including at low speeds.

Last edited:

SachinOnTop

Full Use Else Lose
For me it's always "Man more, Machine less".
If the car is equipped with advanced gadgetry, and the driver behind the wheel is a nut (in actuality!); none of it can save him!

Learn about the capabilities of your car, and then use them judiciously.

I've seen people driving Mercs & BMWs with fogged up windows. They use their expensive hankies to wipe the foggy windscreen. :eek:
Many ABS equipped car drivers are ignorant of how to effectively use it!
Handbrake is still a mystery for many drivers!
Highbeam & lowbeam continues to defy their purpose...
Many airbags' equipped cars are seen with those heavy crashguards/nudgebars in front! :eek:

In short, get acquainted with your car/vehicle, to use it efficiently.

driver23

I've seen people driving Mercs & BMWs with fogged up windows. They use their expensive hankies to wipe the foggy windscreen.
Many ABS equipped car drivers are ignorant of how to effectively use it!
Handbrake is still a mystery for many drivers!
Highbeam & lowbeam continues to defy their purpose...
Many airbags' equipped cars are seen with those heavy crashguards/nudgebars in front!
In short, get acquainted with your car/vehicle, to use it efficiently.
exactly...this thread should write the tips and help others...

TIMAP

The first thing to do for defensive driving is think about the worst case always and then prepare yourself accordingly. For eg. if you are behind a vehicle, think what if he does emergency braking will you be able to avoid hitting him. If you are alone going at high speed think what if one of my wheel bursts where would my car swerve and will I be able to get out of the situation (Dont drive too close to the divider). What if one stone of the divider has given way and is in your path, similarly if your mind starts thinking like this then you will start taking corrective action. If these things do not come to your mind, it hard to take a corrective action voluntarily.
1) On Highways drive in the centre lane.
2) While backing a car which doesnot has reverse cameras, if possible please get down to check for any hidden obstacles which you might bang on.
3) Stay away from two wheelers so that your car doesnot run over them. Dont get too close to two wheelers they might panick and fall down on your car.
4) Better be late than Mr. Late so always be in control of your speed.
5) Turns can be dangerous, anything non- thinkable can come in front of your car suddenly, like a big stone, pothole or hidden persons and please honk.
6) While driving a two wheeler dont drive it too close to the road edge. You might need some room to make corrections if anything happens.
7) Be ware of any dark patches on road for oil,diesel and other things on road.
8) Beware of sudden big speed breakers which are seldom noticed.
9) While turning in ghats stick to your lane or the oncoming vehicle will bang on you.
10) Horn is your best friend in ghats/hilly areas.
11) Avoid driving at nights.
12) Avoid inhabited hilly areas in night at least in Maharashtra, because they are prone to robbery.
13) Always break out from the crowd on the highway by either accelerating away from a cluster of cars or be slow to avoid driving with a cluster of vehicles on roads.
14) While overtaking from wrong side which is a norm on roads with divider (as one vehicle sticks to the right most lane) be careful about pedestrians, village fellows, motorcyles and cyclists.
15) Always carry spares, water, torch, rope, first aid, some additional snacks in the car.
16) Keep your tyres, battery in top notch condition and do a check before you start for long drives.
17) During long drives be sure to take a nap instead of stretching for long, you will realise the wonders this short nap can do to you.

SachinOnTop

Full Use Else Lose
@TIMAP:

1) On Highways drive in the centre lane.
If it has only 2 lanes on left of the divider i.e., your side; then please drive in the right lane.
If it has 4 lanes, then safest way to drive a car is in second lane from right.

4) Better be late than Mr. Late so always be in control of your speed.
It's "Better be Mr. Late than being Late Mr." :)

10) Horn is your best friend in ghats/hilly areas.
But during nights in hills, use dipper to max!

11) Avoid driving at nights.
I feel night driving is slightly easy in hills & on highways (with road dividers) as well.

driver23

@TIMAP:
If it has only 2 lanes on left of the divider i.e., your side; then please drive in the right lane.
[/B]
It is Preferred to drive in left lane and leaving right lane for passers and also during emergency to park it on left side of the road immediately....
as our vehicle is right hand driven, it is easy to pass from left to right..
In left hand driven countries, you will see slow drivers to drive on right.

SachinOnTop

Full Use Else Lose
^
In our country, on a 2-laned carriageway, trucks & other slow paced vehicles use the left lane. For cars, it's the right lane.
On a 3-laned carriageway, the rightmost lane is meant for overtaking. For cruising, one should stick to middle lane, and the left lane is for slow/heavy vehicles.

driver23

Aggressive Driving/Road Rage
Emotions can have a great affect on a motorist’s driving. If a motorist is angry or excited, he/she should take time to cool off. Aggressive driving is defined as a progression of unlawful driving actions, such as speeding, improper or excessive lane changing, or improper passing. Aggressive drivers fail to consider how their actions behind the wheel may affect other motorists on the road. When behind the wheel, a motorist should always remain calm and follow the rules of the road. Extreme cases of aggressive driving may lead to road rage.
Road rage occurs when motorists lose their tempers or become frustrated because of a traffic disturbance. These aggressive motorists may run stop signs and red lights, speed, tailgate, weave through traffic, pass illegally on the right, make improper and unsafe lane changes, make hand or facial gestures, scream, honk horns or flash high beams. In extreme cases, aggressive motorists may cause a collision.

Keeping enough distance, for a safe stop, to the vehicle in front of you is one of the most important things. And to have enough room to divert if the vehicle salls or rolls back.

On my first ride in Delhi I got hit from behind 3 times on a 20 km ride, because the idiots behind me think I'll creep up to the bumper of the vehicle in front of me. (Even if it is on slopey road).

So in big cities in India it might actually be safer to not keep a safe distance to the vehicle in front of you ;)