Defensive Driving Tips

lone wolf

my two cents are..
i always do buffer driving.... whenever i am on an unfamiliar stretch of road i let a car usually a taxi act as my buffer... follow atleast 3-4 car lengths behind it.... taxi drivers are usually quite alert and knowledgeable about the road and plus they maintain a decent pace so its easy to ride with them....

driver23

my two cents are..
i always do buffer driving.... whenever i am on an unfamiliar stretch of road i let a car usually a taxi act as my buffer... follow atleast 3-4 car lengths behind it.... taxi drivers are usually quite alert and knowledgeable about the road and plus they maintain a decent pace so its easy to ride with them....
agree..i do the same in mumbai now as i am new..

oriole12

Nature Lover
Very nice thread! Timely and useful.
According to me, the first point in being defensive is AVOID DRINKING UNDER INFLUENCE OF ALCOHOL OR DRUGS.
Second, Avoid using the cellphone, even with the bluetooth or hands free. Afterall, telephonic conversations distracts you nd your focus while driving should be on the road and the surroundings.
Thirdly, Do not tailgate. In other words, keep sufficient distance form the car in front of you. You never know what kind of a driver that guy is. He may suddenly brake, or turn or swere to the side witout warning. If you do not have sufficeint space between him and your car, you are likely to bang into him.
Be very very careful while overtaking parked buses. Often passengers get down from bus and cross from the front and you will be taken by surprise when you just cross the bus.
Always try to anticipate the moves of the other road users. Like a fellow standing by the road trying to cross. Like the guy in front of you suddenly deciding to overtake the tractor ahead of him. Leraner drivers and novices would try to keep maximum space between his vehicle and the one he is overtaking. He may swing too much to the right and surprise you.
As soon as visibility is low, switch on the headlights. In Europe it is compulsory to have day lights on.
Ensure your tyres and in good shape. Worn out treads can result in skidding and reduce the efficacy of the brake system. They also increase the surface contact resulting in more friction and consequent heating up. Ensure correct pressure on all tyres and in the spare tyre. Too much of pressure and shallow tread is a sure recipe for tyre blast on highways.
Skidding occurs maximum when there is dust on the road and the rain is mild. Under these conditions, the dust/ mud and water act as grease on roads. At turnings, the car may skid easily.
Use dipper while crossing on coming traffic, even if he does not. You may blind him and he might hit you head on.
While crossing a vehicle with bright light at night, look to the extreme left side of the road and never at the lights of the vehicle. There is a human tendency to do s. Avoid it consciously.
Don't play the music so loud that you do not hear the road noises like horn etc.
I have seen many married couple fighting in a moving car when one spouse is driving. Unless your idea is to end the quarrel fatally, avoid arguments and fights in the car while driving.

skysat2005

Super User
I have seen many married couple fighting in a moving car when one spouse is driving. Unless your idea is to end the quarrel fatally, avoid arguments and fights in the car while driving.
Best driving tip I've come across ever:p
Thanks for sharing this, Sir!

driver23

Drowsy Driving – Who is most at risk?
Motorists who are:
• Sleep deprived
• Driving long distances without rest breaks
• Driving through the night or at other times when they are normally asleep
• Taking medicine that increases sleepiness, or drinking alcohol
• Driving alone
• Driving on long, rural, boring roads
• Young people
• Shift workers
• Commercial drivers- what it tells? got to be extra careful when we see these trucks as we have to expect, these guys r probably driving from a long distance, losing patience, going mad...

No Speed Limit Control is the biggest problem, especially when drivers see a open (which is "less traffic") road, they just drive and happy to read the meters flying 100,120 kmph..Drivers should think about the passengers inside the car, opponent car members...understand the seriousness of after accident.

- - - Updated - - -

my two cents are..
from an article

Three seconds plus rule
Since most people have trouble judging distances, the three-seconds-plus rule to determine safe distance may be easier to use. It is useful at any speed.
• Choose some fixed object ahead of the vehicle in front. The object may be a sign or a tree. Make sure the object does not distract attention from driving.
• As the vehicle in front passes the object, begin counting seconds (onethousand- one, one-thousand-two, one-thousand-three).
• If it takes at least three seconds before the vehicle passes the object, a motorist should have enough distance for a sudden stop.
• Practicing safe space management/following distance is the ability to stop a vehicle safely and smoothly in the event the vehicle in front stops.
• Stopping Distance = Perception Distance + Reaction Distance + Braking Distance.
• By keeping a foot near the brake, a motorist can reduce reaction distance.
• Time and distance relationships are designed for the best driving conditions.
• It should be noted that heavier vehicles may take longer to stop.
Try the rule while driving. It can help a motorist develop good judgment for proper
following distances. During bad weather, the time interval should be increased to
four or more seconds.

vipu

Well I would suggest just don't be over defensive... I have seen many driver driving at a dead slow speed in Right most lane.
Right lane is supposed for fast moving vehicles. Over defensive could also harm you and other fellow drivers.

Just be calm and alert...

* Drive at normal speed, all depends on your car/bike driving skills and choose your lane accordingly. (50-60 is a decent speed)
* Horn on blind spot and while overtaking. Alerting other drivers... But do not Honk. Continues horn is not the way to do... Juts simple 2-3 horn sounds are enough.
* RVMs are there to be use and help you. Look into the mirror before changing lanes. I have seen many bikers removing there RVM and running like mad in one lane to another.
* Use indicators and dippers.
* Maintains the safe distance, all depends on your braking capabilities.
* Respect other drivers

Last but not the least...

* Stay away from Female drivers :p :D

Cheap one Vipu, I take offence to this remark.
Be constructive, this is not the jokes topic.

Women in my country get more discount on driving insurance, because women are the safest drivers. Taking less risk and being more patient then men in general, and under 24 year old men in particular.

Better make sure all drivers get proper training.

Rohit Kothari

Super User
Another point that I would like to add here is ...

Not to show off at what speed you drove, atleast not in the forums, where there would be people who will try to believe that they can do it too.
Be responsible and drive properly on roads, and even if you don't, atleast do not post your driving speeds here for others to pick up and compete.