Defensive Driving Tips

lloydofcochin

Most of the points are already covered here but still I will add my few bits.

1) Use the RVMs generously esp before changing lanes.
2) Expect the unexpected and also be prepared to take corrective actions for mistakes committed by other drivers/vehicles
3) When you feel sleepy never go that extra mile. Take a power nap for 15-20 mins and it refreshes & recharge you like anything
4) When driving on 4 lane roads before overtaking heavy vehicles observe them for a few seconds flash headlights and if they are staying course honk once & proceed with the maneuver. Many a times I have observed the sleepy drivers drifting towards your vehicle when you are overtaking them
5) On ghat roads always give preference to uphill traffic and always stick to your lane esp on curves. In many a hill stations you would come across local taxi wallahs driving at breakneck speeds often intruding in to your lane and if you too do the same then it is a sure shot recipe for disaster
6) On unknown highways always try to get a pacer Car and maintain adequate distance from him. And if you watch him closely you can always break ahead of humps, potholes etc
7) Always expect that guy/cow on the divider to jump in front of your Car, factor your braking distance and decrease speed accordingly
8 On non ABS Cars pls practice on how to do 2 stage braking to avoid wheel lockups. I drive at pretty good speeds but hardly does panic breaking. It is always better to brake early rather than braking late and leaving the rest to tires, roads & destiny
9) Never ever fiddle with your phone while driving. It is a sure shot way of inviting trouble
10) Always check tire pressure & condition of tires to avoid nasty surprises. Check for sidewall cuts, bulges etc. And also ensure that your spare tire is filled up
11) High speed driving is heavily draining on the mind & body so it is not advisable to keep the pedal floored always. Remember you will be a hero for driving xxx kms in xx hours but if you make one mistake you would be zero
12) Planning your journey & routes in advance and starting early to avoid traffic will ensure a peaceful drive

driver23

Most of the points are already covered here but still I will add my few bits.

10) Always check tire pressure & condition of tires to avoid nasty surprises. Check for sidewall cuts, bulges etc. And also ensure that your spare tire is filled up
good one - sidewall damages on tires..please know that sidewall damage (damages on sides) on tires are not fixable (i was told like that) and it will cause a severe damage and injury

jeetcp

Mediocre me
Dont just rely on RVMs. All Cars and bikes have black spots/ unenviable angles. Try practicing a quick look back method, or looking over your shoulder very quickly. Look quickly and turn back to the road. This is a good practice and helps.

However, in a country where even ORVMs are mostly folded and the cabin RVM is mostly used by Lady co-passengers, this may be a little too much to try. :)

SachinOnTop

Full Use Else Lose
Dont just rely on RVMs. All Cars and bikes have black spots/ unenviable angles. Try practicing a quick look back method, or looking over your shoulder very quickly. Look quickly and turn back to the road. This is a good practice and helps.

However, in a country where even ORVMs are mostly folded and the cabin RVM is mostly used by Lady co-passengers, this may be a little too much to try. :)
There is a nice product available at all car accessory shops, for taking care of blindspots on ORVMs.
It's a small convex mirror of about 2-2.5" diameter, and is meant to be fixed at one of the outer corner of an ORVM. Costs just :r:100-150 or so for a pair.

1.JPG

2.jpg

Glancing over shoulder is not a good technique, but yes, unconsciously, we feel that it is a safe practice! :)

SUNIL SOOD

A very good thread.Driving from last 15 years on planes.From last two months driving in hills.By grace of god missed 3 head on collisions on Jammu Srinagar hihgway on blind curves while overtaking.My suggestions are
1 Patience is the key in hills.Local Drivers are least bothered for rules and safety
2 Overtaking is responsible for most of the accidents on hills.
3 Be gentle on curves
4 Always imagine for the wrost.
This accident happened on jammu srinagar highway 15 days ago and click this when I was returning from Drass.I found the reason very clear.This guy did not stick to his side/lane on curve and paid the price with his life.So be safe and its better to be late than Mr late.

DSC02070.JPG

driver23

There is a nice product available at all car accessory shops, for taking care of blindspots on ORVMs.
It's a small convex mirror of about 2-2.5" diameter, and is meant to be fixed at one of the outer corner of an ORVM. Costs just :r:100-150 or so for a pair.

Glancing over shoulder is not a good technique, but yes, unconsciously, we feel that it is a safe practice! :)
Correct, blind spot mirror are much useful. i fitted in my sister car and it was stolen.

well we cant say glancing over shoulder is not a good technique, that also comes by experience. you are taking some time either looking at blind spot mirror or looking over shoulder.
additionally blind spot mirror is very much useful when backing up and parking the car especially between two cars. you can be very accurate.

thanks for the effort to show the picture

oriole12

Nature Lover
While speaking of ghat roads, I have an observation to make. While going downhill and on curves, there is a tendency to drive fast and apply the brakes just before the turn while turning the steering. One should understand that while driving down a slope, the weight of the vehicle is borne more by the front wheels compared to the rear. And when braking also the weight rests more on the front tyres. This puts double stress on the front wheels, which also is responsible for turning the vehicle. The right thing to do is to use lower gear to come downhill. The general principle is to use the same gear you would have used to go up if you were tacking the same slope. Take the turning slow in a low gear and actually try to accelerate from mid turn onwards. This will give you better control and lesser strain on the front wheels. It takes time and practice to learn this, but really worth trying.

vipu

try to accelerate from mid turn onwards. This will give you better control and lesser strain on the front wheels. It takes time and practice to learn this, but really worth trying.
This implies on corners uphill, downhill and even road. I try to use less clutch which allow me to steer better and avoid skidding. May be I am wrong, but it is working for me

driver23

This implies on corners uphill, downhill and even road. I try to use less clutch which allow me to steer better and avoid skidding. May be I am wrong, but it is working for me
What i was told by my instructor was not apply braking during actual turning, slow down before turning and turn without braking and try to accelerate from mid turn onwards..since then i use this and i feel a continuous smooth handling