Defensive Driving Tips

vipu

Cheap one Vipu, I take offence to this remark.
Be constructive, this is not the jokes topic.

Women in my country get more discount on driving insurance, because women are the safest drivers. Taking less risk and being more patient then men in general, and under 24 year old men in particular.

Better make sure all drivers get proper training.
Well... when you said "Women in my country" you made-up my point as well. Women in my county are not that much well trained. She may give any side indicator and turn on any side, may just stop without any reason or may just got distracted from any sale hoarding on road... And I have also said that over defensive drivers put other drivers in problem with there improper braking and over slow driving. Which is why may be Women don't indulge into an accident but cause(without even knowing this)

So Here I stand to my point... Please Stay away :)

lloydofcochin

Koshy Sir, That's a very important tip. I forgot to add that. I have heard of few cases where the brakes becoming ineffective due to heating since the drivers tend to overuse them while coming downhill. And that can be extremely dangerous.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
She may give any side indicator and turn on any side, may just stop without any reason or may just got distracted from any sale hoarding on road...
But isn't this what quite a few of people driving/riding in India do, irrespective of the gender they belong to?

The only problem I have with women rider/drivers is the fact that they usually get away with traffic violations and accidents, which in my view is gender inequality and should be corrected!

vipu

But isn't this what quite a few of people driving/riding in India do, irrespective of the gender they belong to?

The only problem I have with women rider/drivers is the fact that they usually get away with traffic violations and accidents, which in my view is gender inequality and should be corrected!
Agreed with the second point... And for Indicator thing I have seen this much with Ladies could be co-incidence as well.

oriole12

Nature Lover
This implies on corners uphill, downhill and even road. I try to use less clutch which allow me to steer better and avoid skidding. May be I am wrong, but it is working for me
I think you did not read the full post. I was talking about coming downhill. And any use of clutch, less or more while coming downhill is dangerous. Going uphill, God help your car if you do it. On plain roads, why use less or more clutch at all during a turn. I think Clutch and horn are the two most misused parts of a car on Indian Roads. I feel Vipu has to refresh basic driving skills, leave alone attempting defensive.
And also, generalising and calling all women as bad drivers is in bad taste. I have in my family three women drivers who drive better than 70 per cent of the men I see on the roads.

anupam1407

The Wandering Soul

True, Yogesh Bhai, Very true, Last saturday I driving in Kolkata with my Bhabi, and without knowing I had entered an one way road which leads to the Main road. There was a traffic cop at the signal and he just caught a guy there for violating no entry. I was some 300/400 meters back and Bhabi said, let me drive, that cop would not catch us. Quickly I switched over as passenger and Bhabi took on driving. And the cop didnot bothered to flag us down :)

zack2137

Leh'd and how!
Agreed!
I haven't come across many terrific drivers who are females, but there is no reason to generalize it.

If at all you want to blame someone, blame yourself (and generalize it for all men) that the teacher could have have done his job better!

faustus77

Hi everybody
There seems to be a debate about women drivers.
Why not allow them the right of way whether they are crossing or overtaking.
3 advantages.
You are being gallant/chivalrous
As you are not too sure about her driving skills that makes it safer
Last but not not the least you have more time to admire her.:D;)
Regards

akshay4384

THE LONE RIDER
While speaking of ghat roads, I have an observation to make. While going downhill and on curves, there is a tendency to drive fast and apply the brakes just before the turn while turning the steering. One should understand that while driving down a slope, the weight of the vehicle is borne more by the front wheels compared to the rear. And when braking also the weight rests more on the front tyres. This puts double stress on the front wheels, which also is responsible for turning the vehicle. The right thing to do is to use lower gear to come downhill. The general principle is to use the same gear you would have used to go up if you were tacking the same slope. Take the turning slow in a low gear and actually try to accelerate from mid turn onwards. This will give you better control and lesser strain on the front wheels. It takes time and practice to learn this, but really worth trying.
Believe it or not,i learnt and mastered this technique while playing Need for Speed(5) Porsche unleashed over and over again:).
Use it pretty often,more so on bike,deaccelerate as you enter a curve,and start accelerating as you move towards the exit.
Also what i have learnt,in twisties try not to use front brake around curves.

I would say never use the front brake of the motorike whilst hill driving or before/in turns. Unless you need to make a full (emergency) stop or such. It's very easy to have the front wheel block with a disc brake.

The technique of accelerating through a turn is giving your car or bike more traction and thus better handling.

And on the driving skills subject. I've travelled and rode in Russia, Mongolia, China, Japan, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia, Nepal and the Phillippines.

The behaviour of Indian drivers has made me make an emergency stop several times and I got hit several times. Until coming to India I had a perfect riding safety record. But you don't hear me bashing all the Indian drivers do you?

But heey, what do I know?
I'm just a woman and a blonde one as well.