Defensive Driving Tips

komodo

Abeer Aulakh
Did you know that using a horn or dipper is forbidden in Holland and most other western countries? The horn is only to be used when there is immediate danger. The fine is apx R 5.500.
Yes, ofcourse! Over here concentrating on driving/riding is the last thing that people do. Usually its talking to passengers, ogling at women, telling other that their headlight is on, gloating that they have a big car etc etc that come first, which why we have to use the horn generously. Here we are responsible for saving other people's lives, people themselves care two hoots about their safety. That is why we honk at people in the middle of the road to save worthless lives.

akshay4384

THE LONE RIDER
I was talking about corners as well, never had problem applying front brakes in turns. In fact normally I use rear brakes for maybe 20-30% of the total braking powers.
Though i am no track rider.
But AFAIK you are a sedate rider.
I am pretty sure,using a front brake while going around a corner at decent pace,can be scary.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Though i am no track rider.
But AFAIK you are a sedate rider.
I am pretty sure,using a front brake while going around a corner at decent pace,can be scary.
Yes I am, but I prefer using front brake more and its not really that scary. In Delhi I use rear brake for less 10% of the stopping power, heck mostly there is so much play I keep in it, I don't even engage it all the time.

cat

Senior Billi
I like to have it adjusted so that slight movement of the pedal will actuate the brake light without actuating the brake. So it is slightly depressed just because my foot is covering it, then a bit more and the brake light comes on.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
I like to have it adjusted so that slight movement of the pedal will actuate the brake light without actuating the brake. So it is slightly depressed just because my foot is covering it, then a bit more and the brake light comes on.
Same here, in fact I find that the rear brake is easier to lock if there is not much play in it and response time goes for a toss if the foot has to be moved on to it.

jeetcp

Mediocre me
Thank you for showing the pictures. My car is parked on streets so never planed to installed them. But they surely looks useful and will give them a try.

There is a nice product available at all car accessory shops, for taking care of blindspots on ORVMs.
It's a small convex mirror of about 2-2.5" diameter, and is meant to be fixed at one of the outer corner of an ORVM. Costs just :r:100-150 or so for a pair.

View attachment 325657

View attachment 325658

Glancing over shoulder is not a good technique, but yes, unconsciously, we feel that it is a safe practice! :)

Gary

Just consider whenever you go onto the road everyone else are nutters and out to get you
should save your skin

driver23

Holding Steering Wheel

Holding steering wheel at a proper position enables good control on wheels. The ‘Ten-to-two’ position is the one favoured by a vast majority of drivers. If you imagine an analog clock showing 1:50, the tips of the hands are where you would place your hands. - This position offers you the maximum movement without having to relinquish your grip of either hand while turning the wheel.

DIY: How to hold your steering wheel | Latest Autos & Car Articles | OnCars.in

have seen drivers resting both the fore arms (facing palm side) on thighs and holding the steering at bottom (@ 5 and 7 or 5:35 position) lightly

- - - Updated - - -

Just consider whenever you go onto the road everyone else are nutters and out to get you
should save your skin
question: have seen many cars with side door guards (black strip running across the doors). is that really helpful?

Attachments

driver23

Bumper stripes you mean? It helps avoid scratches.
i really donno how its called. but its not on the bumper. and question was to is it practically helpful as i am about to put one...
now that you mentioned bumper, i might have to buy those strip on bumper (on corners)