Defensive Driving Tips

zack2137

Leh'd and how!
i really donno how its called. but its not on the bumper. and question was to is it practically helpful as i am about to put one...
now that you mentioned bumper, i might have to buy those strip on bumper (on corners)
The best way to protect your car or truck from dents and door dings is by installing a professional grade body side molding. You can also protect other areas of the vehicle in the same way with wheel well molding and door edge guards.

Body side moldings are usually strips of rubber or vinyl that attach horizontally to the side of your vehicle. By installing them down the center of the door this rubber strip usually protects you from another door hitting yours. Usually the moulding will stick out farther than the body of the vehicle itself, so if someone swings their door into the side of your car it will hit the body side molding first. They usually come in black, chrome and there are some colors available as well.

Source: somewhere on the internet. Lost the link now!

jeetcp

Mediocre me
Well driving with right hand and left on gear is the way I have been driving since long. Now if I try to use both hands on 10 to Two mode, I just dont feel comfortable enough. Single hand works for me.

Holding Steering Wheel

Holding steering wheel at a proper position enables good control on wheels. The ‘Ten-to-two’ position is the one favoured by a vast majority of drivers. If you imagine an analog clock showing 1:50, the tips of the hands are where you would place your hands. - This position offers you the maximum movement without having to relinquish your grip of either hand while turning the wheel.

DIY: How to hold your steering wheel | Latest Autos & Car Articles | OnCars.in

have seen drivers resting both the fore arms (facing palm side) on thighs and holding the steering at bottom (@ 5 and 7 or 5:35 position) lightly

- - - Updated - - -

question: have seen many cars with side door guards (black strip running across the doors). is that really helpful?

oriole12

Nature Lover
Jeet, According to all standard training and practices, single hand driving is dangerous. Comfortable or not, survival is most important. Ona thread discussion Defensive Driving, one cannot help advising against such wrong comforts. Sorry if I sound a bit harsh. It was intentional.

SachinOnTop

Full Use Else Lose
Well driving with right hand and left on gear is the way I have been driving since long. Now if I try to use both hands on 10 to Two mode, I just dont feel comfortable enough. Single hand works for me.
Usually I also drive with one hand on steering and one hand on gear lever. But, I feel more confident with both hands on steering.
For me, one hand steer method is li'l aggresive and my car swerves a bit more quickly; and at times it is not appreciated by my passengers. While driving using both hands on steering, it swerves smoothly without any such hurriedness, and doesn't gets me any raised eyebrows from passengers!

WRT positioning of both hands on steering, earlier my style was also like 10:10 in a clock. But now I prefer to drive with say, 09:14 in a clock! :)
10:10 position is good, but in cars with airbags, it can create problem with proper deployment of airbags. For such cars, 09:14 is a better way!
Although none of my present cars is equipped with airbags, but it's a habit now to drive with 09:14 positioned hands on steering! :)

Last edited:

sahilthegoodguy

Jeet, According to all standard training and practices, single hand driving is dangerous. Comfortable or not, survival is most important. Ona thread discussion Defensive Driving, one cannot help advising against such wrong comforts. Sorry if I sound a bit harsh. It was intentional.

+1.
In city traffic, single hand driving can be managed as one is driving on low speeds.
But on highways, single hand driving can become really risky as the car is above 80-90 kmph.
Specially on highways, it is always better to drive with both hands on the steering wheel as it gives much more control and safety. Also, the car becomes stable.

driver23

and that was the reason i brought this here. jeet might be driving in single hand for quite sometime and initial feeling is always going to be different, no matter in which one it is.

Nester

hi

while riding on the highways,keep constant watch on your mirrors,not many people use the mirrors effectively,it can save you from many accidents,learn using mirrors all the the time.
its an art that can be learnt by practice.
when driving in the night-try avoiding driving alone,a few vehicles ahead of you will always keep you safe ,from robberries,unseen potholes and speed breakers or bumps.
the best trick is look for a local number plate and watch a driver who knows the roads, follow him,most of the times its the best way to drive,as you can see him slow down ,and his vehicle jump on bumpers etc.
simple and very usefull tip.

- - - Updated - - -

hi

while riding on the highways,keep constant watch on your mirrors,not many people use the mirrors effectively,it can save you from many accidents,learn using mirrors all the the time.
its an art that can be learnt by practice.
when driving in the night-try avoiding driving alone,a few vehicles ahead of you will always keep you safe ,from robberries,unseen potholes and speed breakers or bumps.
the best trick is look for a local number plate and watch a driver who knows the roads, follow him,most of the times its the best way to drive,as you can see him slow down ,and his vehicle jump on bumpers etc.
simple and very usefull tip.