Delhi - Jodhpur - Jaiselmer - Bikaner - Delhi

CADA

Dear All, planning to complete the rajasthan circuit in the first week of january through my own car. I would like to get suggestions on the itenerary as well as the road status:
This is the rough plan I have broadly finalised :
Day 1 - leave Delhi early morning. Visit ajmer and pushkar enroute and reach Jodhpur around evening. Overnight at Jodhpur.

Day 2 - Jodhpur local sightseeing in first half and leave for Jaiselmer in afternoon (via Jaipur). Reach Jaiselmer around late eveing and overnight at Jaiselmer

Day 3 - Jaiselmer sight seeing including Desert Safari and sand dunes. Overnight Jaiselmer .

Day 4 - Leave Jaiselmer in the morning and reach Bikaner by afternoon. Bikaner sightseeing in evening. Overnight at bikaner.

Day 5 - Remaining sight seeing and leave for delhi around noon ( should I take the Hisar route?). Reach Delhi at night.

This is just a high level plan and if it looks fine then I will fine tune it. Please suggest if it is doable or will it be a very hectic schedule keeping in view that I would be the single driver.
Also please highlight on the road conditions and fog conitions on the way which will help me in estimating the travel time.

Any preferred hotels at Jodhpur, Jaiselmer and Bikaner?

Most importantly, I wanted to know how safe would it be to drive with my wife and 2 kids as I believe there would be a lot of stretches with very little travellers on the roads.

If the plan looks too tight then I will cut it short to just pushkar and jodhpur. Your suggestions are eagerly awaited. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my DUK-L09 using Tapatalk

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
My suggestion would be to skip Ajmer and Pushkar. If you want to see these, add at least another day to your itinerary.

Jodhpur to Jaisalmer route goes via Pokhran, not Jaipur.

Mehrangarh entry begins at around 9 am and it is fairly large fort, so make sure you have scheduled enough time for it, before beginning your journey to Jaisalmer.

Jaisalmer sightseeing and safari is doable, though in that case, you might wish to stay at Sam itself, otherwise it would become quite hectic for you. Having said that, Sam isn’t far from Jaisalmer, so you can do the safari and dinner there and come back to Jaisalmer for night stay.

In case of Jaisalmer, RTDC Moomal is a good bet, with their huts being VFM.

The route is safe for the most part. I for one, don’t like the idea of going via Hissar and would prefer Bikaner – Sikar – Chomu – Jaipur Bypass – Delhi route instead, even though it is longer.

Of course, if you want a relaxed trip, then Pushkar and Jodhpur makes sense.

Oh yes, I did a similar trip earlier this year. Mansi was the only one driving her Alto throughout the trip and that was her first long drive. Road trip to Rajasthan (Bikaner, Jaisalmer, Sam Dunes and Jodhpur)

CADA

My suggestion would be to skip Ajmer and Pushkar. If you want to see these, add at least another day to your itinerary.

Jodhpur to Jaisalmer route goes via Pokhran, not Jaipur.

Mehrangarh entry begins at around 9 am and it is fairly large fort, so make sure you have scheduled enough time for it, before beginning your journey to Jaisalmer.

Jaisalmer sightseeing and safari is doable, though in that case, you might wish to stay at Sam itself, otherwise it would become quite hectic for you. Having said that, Sam isn’t far from Jaisalmer, so you can do the safari and dinner there and come back to Jaisalmer for night stay.

In case of Jaisalmer, RTDC Moomal is a good bet, with their huts being VFM.

The route is safe for the most part. I for one, don’t like the idea of going via Hissar and would prefer Bikaner – Sikar – Chomu – Jaipur Bypass – Delhi route instead, even though it is longer.

Of course, if you want a relaxed trip, then Pushkar and Jodhpur makes sense.

Oh yes, I did a similar trip earlier this year. Mansi was the only one driving her Alto throughout the trip and that was her first long drive. Road trip to Rajasthan (Bikaner, Jaisalmer, Sam Dunes and Jodhpur)
Yes I read your blog yesterday and based on the same I came out with this itenerary. :)
Actually I wanted to visit Jaiselmer since very long and I (not wife and kids) have already been to Pushkar and Jodhpur. Hence the inclination towards Jaiselmer.

I think I can skip ajmer and pushkar this time and save it for some other time as it would not be possible to extend the trip by even a day.

I will fine tune my itenerary based on your suggestions and re post. Thanks a lot brother.

CADA

Based on the inputs, I have drafted the following day wise schedule with approx. timings as well. Kindly go through and suggest if it looks fine or not.
I have added Longewala as well on day 3 based on various travellougues I have read. But I think it will not be manageable with the desert safari in the evening. Pls suggest. If it seems very unreasonable then I would drop it.

Thanks in advance.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Delhi to Ajmer is easily doable in 6-7 hours, if you don’t get stuck in traffic. We did Delhi to Pushkar in a little over 6 hours from Sohna road. Though that was with the car cruising around 120 kph.

Do your sightseeing in Ajmer and Pushkar (if you wish to) on the first day itself. Next day, start early for Jodhpur and you will be there around noon and you can easily visit Mehrangarh Fort on the same day. I know this gets a little hectic, but it will help you do Jaisalmer sightseeing next day.

Instead of coming back to Jaisalmer from Longewala, head to Sam and stay there. You have the option of morning safari, if you’re too tired for evening one or end up getting late.

Having said this, my suggestion would be drive directly to Jodhpur, instead of stopping at Ajmer en route. It will go a long way in easing your schedule and help you explore Jodhpur and Jaisalmer, which are the most beautiful places in your plan.

CADA

I have completed this trip day before yesterday on my i10. Thanks for your help buddy. It was such a beautiful experience and the itenerary went smooth. Thanks for the help Yogesh..

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
I have completed this trip day before yesterday on my i10. Thanks for your help buddy. It was such a beautiful experience and the itenerary went smooth. Thanks for the help Yogesh..

Congrats. Looking forward to your travelogue :).