Delhi..Manali..Leh..Srinagar..Jammu Bike trip

Abdul Rahim Sayed

I am planning to do this dream trip in August.. mostly starting 11th Aug 2017..
I have 15 days in hand... Please suggest if this itinerary look okay?

11-Aug Day 1 Delhi to Ambala ( train) pick bike and to Mandi?
12-Aug Day 2 Mandi..Kullu.. River Rafting.. Manali…
13-Aug Day 3 Manali… Keylong/Jispa
14-Aug Day 4 Keylong/Jispa-Pang?
15-Aug Day 5 Pang...( on the way Hemis..Thiksey..Shey)..Leh
16-Aug Day 6 Leh..Khardungla…Nubra…hunder?
17-Aug Day 7 Hunder…Pangong tso
18-Aug Day 8 Pangong..Leh
19-Aug Day 9 Leh..Kargil
20-Aug Day 10 Kargil..Srinagar
21-Aug Day 11 Srinagar.. Gulmarg..Jammu
22-Aug Day 12 Jammu.. Delhi (Train)
23-Aug Day 13 Reserve
24-Aug Day 14 Reserve

I can add another day also may be skill gulmarg? how can I add Spiti?
Any suggests where to spend more time less time etc? about accommodation.. I'll be traveling by Thunderbird.. I have another colleague who is interested, so far two members..

Abdul Rahim Sayed

Many people stay at sarchu... and many complain being at height not good etc.. can we do Jispa to Pang same day without risk? Will august be all pre-booked? should we plan booking in advance?

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Each year at least couple of people die at Sarchu and Pang due to AMS. Most escape with mild symptoms of AMS (a headache, lack of appetite etc.).

Spend the night at Jispa or Darcha, next morning start at 5 am and you will reach Leh by evening.

This will free up a day for Leh, relax and enjoy the 15th August celebrations.

Rest of your itinerary seems fine, except, day 11. Gulmarg is a detour from the main route. So you will have to first ride 53 km to reach Gulmarg (which will take at least couple of hours.) Then you will do sightseeing, before heading back to Srinagar and then continue your ride to Jammu. My suggestion would be to either keep a separate day for Srinagar and Gulmarg or skip it altogether.

Having said that, keep your options open and proceed to Srinagar, only if there are no protests.

Generally, protests are a normal feature around Independence Day and Republic Day. In case someone dies during them, it will lead to even more protests.

August isn't a peak time, so no need to book accommodation in advance.

However, August is monsoon season in Himachal and Kashmir. So expect rain and landslides until Keylong and then, Zoji La onward.

For Spiti, you will need at least 2-3 extra days.

Abdul Rahim Sayed

I may have some first timers so I am trying to limit travek time per day to lest than 8-9 hours... how about Manali...Jispa...Upshi...Leh? Can we find accommodation in Upshi? that way we will have time to explore hemis and Shey etc in the morning?
Also, What will be route for Spiti.. if i skip returning via Srinagar can i cover it?

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Upshi to Leh is around an hour of riding, and the road is excellent. Instead of spending the night at Upshi, you can also spend it at Rumtse, which comes after Tanglang La and from there, it takes around an hour and a half to reach Leh.

If you skip Srinagar route, then you can do something like this:

Day 9: Leh to Sarchu

Day 10: Sarchu to Sissu

Day 11: Sissu to Kaza

Day 12: Kaza to Nako or Kalpa

Day 13: Nako/Kalpa to Sarahan

Day 14: Sarahan to Ambala or Narkanda

Please keep in mind that that Kinnaur gets landslides on a fairly regular basis during monsoon season, so it is best to have at least couple of buffer days in hand.

In case you want to add Chandertal, you will need an extra day or try and cover it en route to Kaza.

Abdul Rahim Sayed

I am reading some booking proof is required for getting permit to travel from Manali beyond rotang? How much time should we keep for getting permit. . . Also which places would need permits from leh?

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Online permit for Rohtang pass is supposed to be implanted from this year, so you should be able to get it online.

In case of Leh, things aren’t clear as of now. There is a new environment fee of Rs. 400 per person and it is not clear whether Indian Nationals will have to once again apply for permit like couple of years ago or if there will be a place to pay it and use the same self-declaration form that was valid last year.