Delhi to Goa Road trip

Suneesh Sharma

Love my Iron Beast
Hi all,

This time I am not touching himalayas, rather planning to get a nice taste of beaches.
This would be families 1st trip to Goa. So thought of doing it via road as me and my better half love road trips rather than going via flight.

So coming to the main point, i am planning to reach Goa somewhere around 8th of Oct.

So we have got good number of days from 8th of Oct till 13th. So we may start our return to delhi from 13th night or early morning of 14th.

Considering these many days, wanted to seek what best itinerary can be built . Also i am planning to cover Gokarna and Udupi. Thanks a lot for your kind advices in advance !!!.

Cheers

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

SachinS

Keep Travelling ...
Cross posting from another thread

You can halt at Toral near Vapi for Lunch / dinner, u will have to skip on flyover and go on opp side. Amazing thali (Very big) at around 225.

On way to Gokarna from Goa you can cover Karwar beach and warship museum, its on the way. If you have time visit Yana rocks bit detour.
In morning you can visit OM beach for sunrise and check out. There is a resort right on OM beach, also few resorts / hotels on way to OM beach

Next Day : Gokarna to Murudeshwar, visit murudeshwar temple and tallest gopuram. Stay at RNS residency amazing views and inside premises of this huge Gopuram and temple, surrounded by sea on 3 sides.
If you opt not to stay you can drive towards Udpi post visiting murudeshwar. You can have lunch and around 4 pm go to Kaup beach.
the light house is open post 4 or 4.30 pm amazing beach and views from light house.

Stay at Udipi.
Morning Ramkrishna Math, then Malpe beach and St. Mary island, you will be free by 3 max to max. Then head back towards Murudeshwar or Gokarna and stay.

For Goa kindly check this thread, lost count of times I have been to Goa

Suneesh Sharma

Love my Iron Beast
Cross posting from another thread

You can halt at Toral near Vapi for Lunch / dinner, u will have to skip on flyover and go on opp side. Amazing thali (Very big) at around 225.

On way to Gokarna from Goa you can cover Karwar beach and warship museum, its on the way. If you have time visit Yana rocks bit detour.
In morning you can visit OM beach for sunrise and check out. There is a resort right on OM beach, also few resorts / hotels on way to OM beach

Next Day : Gokarna to Murudeshwar, visit murudeshwar temple and tallest gopuram. Stay at RNS residency amazing views and inside premises of this huge Gopuram and temple, surrounded by sea on 3 sides.
If you opt not to stay you can drive towards Udpi post visiting murudeshwar. You can have lunch and around 4 pm go to Kaup beach.
the light house is open post 4 or 4.30 pm amazing beach and views from light house.

Stay at Udipi.
Morning Ramkrishna Math, then Malpe beach and St. Mary island, you will be free by 3 max to max. Then head back towards Murudeshwar or Gokarna and stay.

For Goa kindly check this thread, lost count of times I have been to Goa

Thanks a lot...really helpful...will add in my itinerary. Cheers

uturn

Super User
Hi all,

This time I am not touching himalayas, rather planning to get a nice taste of beaches.
This would be families 1st trip to Goa. So thought of doing it via road as me and my better half love road trips rather than going via flight.

So coming to the main point, i am planning to reach Goa somewhere around 8th of Oct.

So we have got good number of days from 8th of Oct till 13th. So we may start our return to delhi from 13th night or early morning of 14th.

Considering these many days, wanted to seek what best itinerary can be built . Also i am planning to cover Gokarna and Udupi. Thanks a lot for your kind advices in advance !!!.

Cheers

Mumbai/Pune -Belgaum-chorla-Goa(south or North)
Goa-karwar-Gokarna-Udupi
Just keep in mind all nh17 is under road widening so may be hectic as you are driving all the way from Delhi.
So plan a relaxed itinerary which can be enjoyable.
Route all the way safe 24x7.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Suneesh Sharma

Love my Iron Beast
Mumbai/Pune -Belgaum-chorla-Goa(south or North)
Goa-karwar-Gokarna-Udupi
Just keep in mind all nh17 is under road widening so may be hectic as you are driving all the way from Delhi.
So plan a relaxed itinerary which can be enjoyable.
Route all the way safe 24x7.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I am considering 3 days to reach Goa from Delhi.
And similarly 3 days to reach Delhi from Goa. That will ensure around 600 kms of drive per day which should be fine .

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

santanu

I am considering 3 days to reach Goa from Delhi.
And similarly 3 days to reach Delhi from Goa. That will ensure around 600 kms of drive per day which should be fine .

I am not sure which route you are taking, but covering 600 km/everyday for 3 consecutive days may be bit challenging.

If you take Delhi-Jaipur-Udaipur-Ahmedabad-Mumbai-Goa route, then the following stretches may consume time more than expected:
  1. Stretch between Ahmedabad and Udaipur because of road widening and flyover work (this may be avoided if you take Ajmer-Pali-Mount Abu-Palanpur-Mehsana-Ahmedabad route)
  2. Stretch between Pune and Kolhapur (Mumbai - Bengaluru highway) because of multiple diversions on account of ongoing flyover work
  3. Once you leave AH47 (either at Nipani if you are heading to North Goa or at Belgavi/Belgaum if you are heading to South Goa) the road condition will be bad, road will be narrower (single lane at multiple place) and you have to cross Ghats.
I am assuming you are not contemplating to take Old Mumbai-Goa highway. Condition of that road is bad too on account of road widening work.

My personal opinion is that keep your plan flexible and decide to further down south (Gokarna-Murdeshwar-Udupi) depending upon the availability of time. Further, if you want to start your return journey from Gokarna/Murdeshwar/Udupi, you may need to add one additional day for return leg.

Suneesh Sharma

Love my Iron Beast
I am not sure which route you are taking, but covering 600 km/everyday for 3 consecutive days may be bit challenging.

If you take Delhi-Jaipur-Udaipur-Ahmedabad-Mumbai-Goa route, then the following stretches may consume time more than expected:
  1. Stretch between Ahmedabad and Udaipur because of road widening and flyover work (this may be avoided if you take Ajmer-Pali-Mount Abu-Palanpur-Mehsana-Ahmedabad route)
  2. Stretch between Pune and Kolhapur (Mumbai - Bengaluru highway) because of multiple diversions on account of ongoing flyover work
  3. Once you leave AH47 (either at Nipani if you are heading to North Goa or at Belgavi/Belgaum if you are heading to South Goa) the road condition will be bad, road will be narrower (single lane at multiple place) and you have to cross Ghats.
I am assuming you are not contemplating to take Old Mumbai-Goa highway. Condition of that road is bad too on account of road widening work.

My personal opinion is that keep your plan flexible and decide to further down south (Gokarna-Murdeshwar-Udupi) depending upon the availability of time. Further, if you want to start your return journey from Gokarna/Murdeshwar/Udupi, you may need to add one additional day for return leg.
Thanks sir...noted

deepam

Super User
Suneesh,
Goa to Udupi if you want to cover by road you can spend there itself 3-6 days; depends on your interest. As U-turn mentioned NH17 4 laning is on and has lots of diversion.
If you want to see Temples, then Udupi has lot of temples around. Main temple is Udupi Sri Krishna Mutt.
Mind you the monsoon is still on in Western Ghats & coastal. It started 2 months late and is still continuing with prediction that it may continue raining till Oct end. Rains are heavy and with low visibility. So do not expect you can pick up speeds.

So you need to decide what you want to do! Tell me the number of days you want to spend in Goa and down south with your interests, then I will share what you more details. When driving to Udupi you will get a place called Marvanthe on the West side is Sea and East side you have Souparnika river. Mind you that is the most dangerous beach and is known for its unexpected currents.

Yes reaching to Goa from Delhi is via HR-RJ-GJ-MH and take the same path,

Suneesh Sharma

Love my Iron Beast
Hi all. Was in Goa from 19th to 26th oct. Had planned to go to Gokarna and Murudeshwar but plan got canceled due to Kyarr cyclone.

Even South goa was badly hit with strong winds when i was there on 23rd and 24th.

Pic attached here is of Palolem beach