Delhi to Manali road trip along with my family

Discussion in 'Road Status' started by glesp123, Jun 11, 2014.

1. glesp123

glesp123 Member

Hi!

I want to go to Manali by car (i10) from Delhi on 20th June. Will stay there for six days. I have visited Manali many times by hiring car. This time I am taking my own car and will drive myself. I have driven the car up to Shimla and felt no difficulty.

I am little bit cautious now for Manali as it will be around 14 to 16 hours journey. Is the road conditions good up to Kothi in Manali ? I dont have much experience in driving the car in Hilly areas except Shimla. Is it advisable to take car up to Manali ?

Regards

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  2. taps_567

taps_567 Member

hello glesp123!!!
    As far as the car is concerned, there is no problem whatsoever with road conditions. Even Nano can do till Manali. You can take your car till Rohtang also but with extra caution.
    About experience, I will say if don't have much, than this is time to gain it. So don't hesitate, be careful and enjoy beauty of Manali.

3. jeetcp

jeetcp Mediocre me

Experience comes with time. And till that time, you drive slow and careful. When in doubt, slow down.

Road from Mandi to Manali has less curves and wide enough mostly.

Answer to your question lies in your driving skills.

4. Rohit Kothari

Rohit Kothari Super User

Take it slow and easy. You might want to break your journey somewhere. A few weeks back I did Manali, and I started in evening from Delhi , stayed overnight in Chandigarh and then proceeded for Manali the next day. It was a relaxed journey.

5. AdrenalineRush

AdrenalineRush New Member

Manali will be quite similar to your Shimla trip as far as road is concerned. You car is absolutely fine for this trip.
    I went to Manali 3 years back with my wife and 2 year daughter without any hassle. Also drove my zen estilo upto Gulabo point because Rohtang was closed.

For Rohtang route just take extra care while driving.
    Time will range from 11-13 hrs max.

6. Nitish Kumar

Nitish Kumar Well-Known Member

I would also be driving from Delhi-Chandigarh to Manali by next week weekend. First Friday evening drive to Chandigarh, night halt at friend's house then early morning to Manali.. Still not settled for the route I should take. Other threads talking about Bilaspur stretch as bad... Una route is long and Ghaghas being hilly, not sure if would take less time than Una one... anyone been there recently?

7. AdrenalineRush

AdrenalineRush New Member

My advice is to follow the regular route i.e.
    NH1-Sonipat-Panipat-Karnal-Ambala- then instead of taking towards Chandigarh take the Rajpura road and before the toll gate (Shambu toll tax centre) take right turn towards Banur - Kharrar - Ropar -Kiratpur - Bilaspur - Sundarnagar - Mandi - Kullu - Manali.
    Diverting from this route will take extra time and effort to reach your destination.

8. himanshupant

himanshupant Member

Are outside cars allowed in Rohtang ?

9. Nitish Kumar

Nitish Kumar Well-Known Member

Finally the trip done. Took both the routes... Una one for Chandigarh to Manali and while Bilaspur one for Manali to Delhi..

A trip from Delhi to Manali | Nitish Kumar's Blog

I would say, Una route is a must visit for once considering the kind of roads and views it offers. Not a single patch of bad roads for around 400-450 kms on that route even though its much longer and hilly roads won't allow much higher speed.

On other hand, road wise, no issues with Bilaspur route irrespective of noise made out about it. Truck traffic is sure a steady concern as steep slopes with heavy trucks means speed would be reduced to 10-20 kmph at times and hilly roads won't allow overtakes considering both side traffic. Also Kiratpur side has some bad patches. But still all of this is manageable in lesser time than Una route if you are not into bad luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Outside cars allowed. A permit needed which can be taken enroute itself.

- - - Updated - - -

No issues till Manali... Check the link in my post about roads. For Rohtang, GC would be a concern near Rani Nallah and steep slopes sometime. Specially when returning back from Rohtang

10. triloksidhu

triloksidhu New Member

Hi, Road conditions isn't bad but one thing is noticed, Himachali drivers are merciless and have no respect by and large for other state registration number vehicles seen on road in HP. I am from Chandigarh and have toured in my car/SUV in HP. Everywhere same kind of experience, which is painful. Else no problem in travelling. Take a break of night halt if you are not very familiar driving hills. Shimla must better than Manali road.
    I am leving on 9/7/14 for Manali - Leh in XUV.