Delhi to Nainital by road

Discussion in 'Road Status' started by scsaxena64, Apr 4, 2013.

1. scsaxena64

scsaxena64 New Member

We are planning to drive from Delhi to Nainital. 3 years ago the the Moradabad-Tanda-Bajpur-Kaladhungi road was fine. then the Tanda-Bajpur section was washed out in aflood. Has it been repaired? Els ewe will have to take the longer route via Ramnagar. I dont like the Rampur route. grateful for advice by any recent traveller.

2. kkdelhi0123

kkdelhi0123 Member

i didn't traveled recently but this route is very scenic and good condition

- - - Updated - - -

i didn't traveled recently but this route is very scenic and good condition

3. vikasb

vikasb Vikas Bhadauria

I went there in end december 2012. the tanda-bazpur route was a disaster so took rampur-kathgodam route. i think tanda route is still not repaired.

One tip: Stay away from hotel anamika even if you have a hard time finding acommodation. the are the worst of the lot and could ruin your trip like the did mine in august 2012.

- - - Updated - - -

I went there in end december 2012. the tanda-bazpur route was a disaster so took rampur-kathgodam route. i think tanda route is still not repaired.

One tip: Stay away from hotel anamika even if you have a hard time finding acommodation. the are the worst of the lot and could ruin your trip like the did mine in august 2012.

4. kprixie

kprixie Active Member

Please take the better, less traffic, scenic route from Rudrapur to Kichha- Sitarganj- Chorgalia...you will bypass all major towns, drive through forests...perfect.

5. Indizen

Indizen Active Member

Of these different routes suggested, what are the distances?

6. kprixie

kprixie Active Member

well on paper the distances might be less via Haldwani, Kathgodam etc but the roads are way better and so much less traffic on the Sitarganj route. also its way more scenic and u do save time when u avoid busy cities and towns.

7. pratimasandeep

pratimasandeep New Member

Delhi – Nainital and beyond by Road – Heights, Distances, Routes, State of Roads- May 2013

Delhi – Nainital and beyond by Road – Heights, Distances, Routes, State of Roads - May 2013

1. The Summer season is here and so increases the exodus from Delhi for the cooler climes.
    Nainital / Bhimtal / Ranikhet / Almora / Mulkteshwar / Binsar and so on are well sought after spots by the Tourists.

2. Being a regular traveler to Nainital / Bhimtal side ex Delhi by road, here are some inputs about Heights, Distances, Routes and the State of roads( latter upto Nainital only ). My last road journey ex Delhi was on 5 May 13 and hope that these inputs will be of some use.

3. Heights / Distances (those not mentioned in Para 4 below)

(a) Heights (Feet)
    Bhimtal 4500 Ranikhet 6000
    Bhowali 5550 Kasauni 6100
    Nainital 6300 Mukteshwar 7500
    Ramgarh 5800 Binsar 7800
    Almora 5350

(b) Distances

From To Distance ( KMs) Remarks

• Kaladhungi Haldwani 23
    • Haldwani Bhimtal 27
    • Bhimtal Bhowali 9
    • Nainital Bhowali 11
    • Bhowali Ranikhet (46) – Kasauni (60) 106
    • Bhowali Mukteshwar 37 Via Ramgarh road
    • Bhowali Ramgarh (25 )- Mukteshwar (28) 53 Via Ramgarh
    • Bhowali Almora (53) – Binsar (34) 87 Via NH 87 / SH 37

Routes and Distances to Nainital ex Delhi :
    The route upto Moradabad ex Delhi (166 KMs) is common to the routes you may like to opt thereafter. The road on this section is extremely wide, Double with a Divider all along – 4 Tolls- definitely worth it. After Moradabad by-pass, one has the option of various routes as mentioned below.

4. Via Rampur- (Rampur – Rudrapur) / (Rampur – Bazpur- Kaladhungi) :
    Two routes

(a) Route 1: Rampur – Rudrapur- Haldwani – Nainital.

* Delhi – Moradabad (166 KMs) – Rampur (29) – Bilaspur ( 27) – Rudrapur (18) - Haldwani (33) - Nainital (30)- Total - 303 kms. May have to add some KMs on account of Bypasses.

* NOT RECOMMENDED on account of Terrible stretches with craters on the Bilaspur – Rudrapur section .

(b) Route 2 : Rampur – Bazpur – Kaladhungi – Nainital.

* Delhi – Moradabad (166) – Rampur (29) – Bazpur (46) – Kaladhungi (28) – Nainital – (35) – Total – 304 KMs.

* From Rampur, take the road going to Bazpur. The road Rampur – Bazpur is an excellent road except for a 3 KM very bad stretch which begins about 8 KMs short of Bazpur.

5. Via Moradabad Bypass - Kaladhungi - 3 Routes

(a) Route 1 :

Delhi- Moradabad (166) - Kashipur (56) – Bazpur (24) – Kaladhungi (28) – Nainital (35) - 309 KMs –. Has some sections which are not the best. Getting stuck in Kashipur town traffic could be time consuming.

(b) Route 2 : 32 KMs of TERRIBLE ROAD - DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT.

* Delhi – Moradabad (166) - Tanda (25) - Bazpur (30) – Kaladhungi (27) – Nainital (35) - 283 KMs

* Extremely bad stretches on this route – 2 Kms short of Tanda and Tanda – Bazpur (30 Kms).

( c) Route 3 – Also see notes below.

* Delhi – Moradabad (166) - Tanda (25) – Village Khod (15) (on Rampur – Bazpur road) - Bazpur (30) – Kaladhungi (27) – Nainital (35) - 298 KMs.

* Notes

* From about centre of Tanda, a not too wide a road turns right towards the local Roadways Bus Stop and further goes on to Village KHOD on the Rampur – Bazpur Road - Village road , not bad at all, very limited traffic.

* How-ever, vehicles having a width of more than 6 feet or so should not take it on account of a Barrier on a Bridge enroute. Honda City with both the Side View mirrors outwards are just fine with inches to spare.

Extremely bad stretches on this route –

* 2 Kms or so starting just short of Tanda.

* 3 KMs of very bad road which starts about 8 KMs short of Bazpur (Para 4(b) above refs).

(Pratima Sandeep)

8. Abhi2909

Abhi2909 Abhinandan

9. deepak.saini10

deepak.saini10 New Member

Re: Delhi – Nainital and beyond by Road – Heights, Distances, Routes, State of Roads- May

Hi Guys,

I'm planning to drive from New Delhi to Nanital on 15th June 2013, Sat morning for 2-3 days. Could some one suggest me the best, clean and shortest route because i'll be having all my family, so i need to be safe. Secondly, how much time it's going to take? It's been more than a decade since i'm driving but this is my first time to drive on Hills...is it safe when going to Nanital from Delhi on hills? If somebody been there, please suggest me some places on my way where we could stop and eat? I'm know this is not the right time to visit this place because it's going to too very crowded but i can't postpone this trip any more for some reasons. Any best reasonable hotel/guest room there in Nanital? I'm sorry for asking too many questions but this is my first time to BCM touring and heard a lot from my friends....Thanks Deepak

10. pratimasandeep

pratimasandeep New Member

Re: Delhi – Nainital and beyond by Road – Heights, Distances, Routes, State of Roads- May

I recommend the following -

Route -

Delhi - Hapur Bypass - Moradabad Bypass - Rampur – Bazpur (via Suar) – Kaladhungi – Nainital - Only 3 KMs very bad road, but the best Option.

* Delhi – Moradabad (166) – Rampur (29) – Bazpur (46) – Kaladhungi (27) – Nainital – (35) – Total – 303 KMs.

* From Rampur, take the road going to Bazpur (via Suar). The road Rampur – Bazpur is an excellent road except for a 3 KM very bad stretch which begins about 8 KMs short of Bazpur.

Giani's Dhaba at Gajraula is a very good option. Try his Butter laden paranthas. Mcdonalds, KFC also enroute within 4 to 5 KMs of Gianis. Punians , a Hotel opp the Jim Corbett Waterfall is a good option too but then you will have to veer of the Bazpur Kaladhungi road. Well marked it is.

Absolutely safe route. Average speed in plains ( Breaks included) - about 60 - 70 Kms per hour. Hill sections - 25- 30 KMs per hour. Kaladhungi - Naintal is the Hill Section.

If you have the time - half hour or so, , get the family to see the Jim Corbett Museum at Kaladhungi. It is bang on the Main road i.e the place from where you turn left for Naintal.

Have a good holiday. Don't forget your Rain-wear.
    Sandeep Gupta.