Deomali <-- Highest Peak of Odisha & Duduma <-- Three Big Waterfalls at one place

sajalsheth

Still Learning ©
Salur Ghati to Kundili = Day 1 Part II

The weather was perfect for riding on mountain roads. I must say that the road of Salur Ghati is well maintained.
Great view everywhere.

IMG_5839_40_41.jpg

View and sunlight was perfect

IMG_5843.jpg

Roads were such that I used to stop every now and then to take pictures.

IMG_5845.jpg

I loved the curves of mountain roads

IMG_5846_7_8.jpg

Some more

IMG_5849_50_51.jpg

View was getting better and better

IMG_5859_60_61.jpg

I love curves ;) ...... of these roads

IMG_5862_3_4.jpg

Yet another view

IMG_5865_6_7.jpg

A view of water stream

IMG_5868.jpg

Nature has arranged this big stones in some way

IMG_5869_70_71.jpg

I was riding on Jeypore Viziangaram Road. I crossed Sunki. I had again entered Odisha.
I also crossed Pottangi. The road were descending now.

IMG_5872_3_4.jpg

At around 3.55 PM , I reached Kundili. I had to turn right from here. Saw this info board on Deomali mentioning it was only 23 KM from here. I was very happy to see this sign board.

IMG_5879.jpg

I enquired with local auto drivers and other shop keepers about the road condition towards Deomali top. Gained some knowledge about time it will take to reach on top. Also enquired about the night stay options. Asked one of auto driver to click a picture of me with this Deomali info board.

IMG_5881.jpg

Now I had two options, first to search for night stay and visit Deomali Top on next day. Otherwise ride now and see sun set from top.

During winter days sun will set little earlier. I thought that I must reach on Deomali Top before sunset and decided to see sunset from the height of 5485 feet. I also knew that I can take better photographs during sun rise and sun set. But I will have to ride back on mountain descend in dark.

I had two night stay option. First one at Semiligula in any lodge , if I come back before cold of night increases, and second one was to stay at Gurukul Ashram at Pungar, Kunduli village , if I ride back late.

Calculating all these factor I decided to ride to Deomali Top for sun set views.

This info gate was showing me "WELCOME TO ORISSA's HIGHEST PEAK POINT"

IMG_5878.jpg

NEXT= Finally.... Ride to Deomali Top

Last edited:

VITHAL

Amazing updates. Your photography is so beautiful. But unlike your Ladakh trip, thoda drama aur emotions is missing from the story line. Looks like you had an all too smooth ride.:grin: Anyway enjoying the show. Please carry on riding so that dreamers like us can at least share the ride along with you.

sajalsheth

Still Learning ©
Kundili to Deomali Top = Day 1 Part III

I started riding towards Deomali Top at 4 PM. Sun light was perfect and I was expecting to ride this 23 Km road before sunset.
This was the first view of Deomali Mountain.

IMG_5882.jpg

Road was single village road but not bad for riding. The view of Deomali mountain was also better

IMG_5884_5_6.jpg

Further zoom view

IMG_5887.jpg

Sun was setting down and sunlight was falling on Deomali Mountain. Perfect light for a photograph

IMG_5888_89_90.jpg

There are many Watch Towers on Deomali Top Road. I could see some from here

IMG_5891_2_3.jpg

This is Deomali Nallah

IMG_5894_5_6.jpg

This is a small water stream of Deomali Mountain Range

IMG_5897_8_9.jpg

Joy Ride ?
No, locals travel like this only due to lack of affordable local transport.
At least 10 persons were travelling on jeep top and on front bonnet. There must be another 10 inside the jeep.

IMG_5900.jpg

There are some villages like Kotiya and Gumelpadar ahead. May be they are travelling there.

IMG_5901.jpg

The road was single lane but nice one

IMG_5903.jpg

A zoom view

IMG_5904_5_6.jpg

Some plain land are also cultivated here

IMG_5907_8_9.jpg

At around 4.37 PM I was still at 3300 feet above sea level. Now was the time to ride on Ghat Roads :supz:

IMG_5911.jpg

Just riding after 3 minutes I saw a road diversion. Right one was going towards Kotiya. And left one was going up towards Deomali Top.
Saw this cemented info board. It was written "DEOMALI - Odisha's Peak Point - 1672 meter above sea level - Pottangi , Koraput "

IMG_5912.jpg

Full picture of that cemented sign board

IMG_5913.jpg

Until this point there was good road. After this 2.6 KM was very bad road with lots of pebbles , Gravel and mettle on road. It was damaged very badly at some place. There were lots of dense forest trees on both sides.
My riding experience of Ladakh helped me here. I was confidently riding in spite of bad roads.

At around 4.52 PM , I reached Deomali Top mountain road. I was at around 4500 feet above sea level. From here on wards there is a mountain top road towards Deomali Peak for 3.6 KM. This road is the best part of this trip. Both side views of small mountains and I am riding on hill top road with great view.
I took a selfie there. One can see both tiredness and happiness on my face.

IMG_20141206_170346.jpg

Some mesmerizing view from there

IMG_5914_5_6.jpg

IMG_5917_8_9.jpg

The Deomali Top Road starts from East of Deomali mountain range and it is 3.60 KM long. Starting point is Mathalambo.
This Google earth image will give you fair idea about my ride from Mathalambo of east side to Deomali Peak side towards west.

Google Earth pic.jpg

That mountain is Mathalambo

IMG_5920.jpg

My Bike with Deomali Peak View

IMG_5923_4_5.jpg

Another great view of my bike with Deomali mountain range

IMG_5926_7_8.jpg

And the last picture from this point

IMG_5929_30_31.jpg

Re stared my ride , but stopped again to see this road which I rode

IMG_5932_3_4.jpg

Sun was going down in west

IMG_5935_6_7.jpg

View opposite side with watch tower, my bike and some great mountains in background

IMG_5938_39_40.jpg

The road ahead...... That high mountain is Deomali Peak

IMG_5941_2_3.jpg

It was 4.57 PM and Sun was setting down fast. I had to reach last point before it is dark.
And just to inform you that there was NOBODY around. I was alone from Mathalambo to Deomali mountain top road.
It was sun set time and there was a different type of silence there. This was my truely SOLO ride experience. Fear with great 360 degree view.

Only myself at a Highest place of Odisha with sun set !!!

NEXT= Mesmerizing sun set from Deomali

Last edited:

VITHAL

Fantastic images Sajal. Was looking forward to this update and i must say my appetite is sated and yet i am hungry for more. Keep going.