Deomali <-- Highest Peak of Odisha & Duduma <-- Three Big Waterfalls at one place

sajalsheth

Still Learning ©
Duduma - The Big Triple Waterfalls - Day 2 Part I

Date: 7 th December, 2014

After my last night's experience of cold, I decided I will ride back to Cuttack at around 7.30 AM. I woke up at 6.30 AM , although all ashram woke up at 4 AM. Came out to check my bike and put chain oil. I decided not to take bath, as I was feeling cold.

Took some pictures of Sun Rise around Gurukul Ashram.

IMG_6029.jpg

My bike and the room where I spent night.

IMG_6031.jpg

The long view of the Ashram. That is the kitchen.

IMG_6032.jpg

That round open house is the learning area for children

IMG_6033.jpg

Main Guru of the Ashram came to meet me and to know about me. I gained some knowledge from him about the area around. I told him about last night's cold problem. He advised me to take bath now in open area near water storage tank. He assured me that I will not feel cold after that. He said all small children do same way.

He also told me to meet the retired Guru there. He had spend 10 years at Onukudelli, near Duduma Waterfall. This Guru told me about his experience with Bondas tribal. Told me to go there and experience the waterfall. My room partner Dilip was also impressed with the description about Duduma waterfall. He told me that he will not go to sell the clothes/saris today but he wants to visit this place with me on motorcycle. He also requested me to postpone my decision of going back to Cuttack. After discussion the matter with my wife Bina over phone, I decided to go by my original plan only and was ready to visit Duduma Waterfall with Dilip on bike.

I took bath in open area near water storage tank. I felt that water was warm than the atmosphere. I could easily bath in that cold water. Me and Dilip were ready to leave for Duduma Waterfall. I had to fill petrol, so we decided to ride via Semiliguda. We also had breakfast there.

Took this picture at the main gate of Ashram

IMG_6034.jpg

A picture of myself with Gurukul Ashram for remembrance

IMG_6036.jpg

That is Dilip. We took some snacks and water with us. I did not take my main bag and tripod as Dilip was there to click picture of me. All the pictures of mine for today were clicked by Dilip only.

IMG_6037.jpg

We had Idli, Bhuguni & Chatni as breakfast at Semiliguda. Filled up petrol tank. Moved towards left road which goes to Bheja Railway Station and Gayalput. Took this picture at around 8.40 AM

IMG_6038_39_40.jpg

At around 10.05 AM we were riding near Jalaput reservoir.
It was very scenic.

IMG_6041_2_3.jpg

Small mountains on Jalaput reservoir were looking scenic.

IMG_6044_5_6.jpg

At around 10.25 AM we were at Jalaput Dam.

IMG_6047_8_9.jpg

This water of Jalaput Dam Reservoir travels to became machhakunda river and then Duduma Waterfalls.

IMG_6050_1_2.jpg

Picture of mine with Jalaput Dam

IMG_6062.jpg

Out of 8 Gates of this Dam only one was open and so much water was flowing down. Imagine the situation during rainy season.

IMG_6065.jpg

Close look of Jalaput Dam with one open gate

IMG_6066.jpg

This is the starting point of machhakunda river. Dilip Clicked my picture here.

IMG_6069.jpg

People live at those islands and they come by small boats to Khinimung and Jalaput village.

IMG_6071.jpg

Reached other side of the dam.

IMG_6074.jpg

see the color of water. This is not rainy season, but soil erosion.

IMG_6075.jpg

A picture after crossing Jalaput Dam reservoir. I was standing at the border between Odisha & Andhra.

IMG_6077.jpg

After riding for around 300 meters we saw another Dam. This was in Andhra side. The construction of this tells that it must be used for hydro electricity. This was also called Jalapur Dam.

IMG_6080.jpg

Now we were in Andhra. Roads were damaged with path holes. After riding for around 18-19 Km we reached at Onukudelli Dam at around 11.50 AM

IMG_6082.jpg

This Dam is boarder for Andhra Odisha. Crossing this will take us back to Odisha again.
This Onukudelli Dam is controlling water of machhkunda river.

IMG_6083.jpg

Picture of myself at Onukudelli Dam on Machhkunda River

IMG_6084.jpg

View of another side of this dam

IMG_6085.jpg

Machhkunda River as seen from Onukudelli Dam. 1.5 KM Ahead it fall down at Duduma Waterfalls.

IMG_6086.jpg

Two outlets from Onukudelli Dam on Machhkunda River - right side water goes to generate hydro electricity.

IMG_6087.jpg

More water released for hydro electricity generation.

IMG_6088.jpg

My bike with still water on other side of Onukudelli Dam on Machhkunda River

IMG_6089.jpg

Very less water is released on left side. But then also the waterfall looked great even with this less water.

IMG_6090.jpg

Posing on Onukudelli Dam on Andhra Odisha Border

IMG_6091.jpg

This water will move in canal to hydro electricity plant, but by under ground way.

IMG_6093.jpg

This under ground water movement is explained in this Google maps image.
This also shows three waterfalls called Duduma.

Areal View of Duduma.jpg

After riding ahead we saw this info board

IMG_6095.jpg

I was very happy to see this. Just then I received a phone call from a friend of mine who joined army recently and was posted in Ladakh region of Jammu Kashmir. He informed me that he was calling from Siachen base camp. It was a double joy for me. Chatted with him and we exchanged our adventurous experiences.

The left side cemented road ended and there was a cemented parking place. I saw this info board showing DUDUMA WATERFALL. This was my first view of this great waterfall.

IMG_6097_8_9.jpg

My bike posing at Duduma

IMG_6100.jpg

Dilip took this picture for remembrance

IMG_6101.jpg

Moving ahead we saw this big gurgling waterfall.There was also great view of valley.
This was waterfall no 1.

IMG_6108_09_10.jpg

This was waterfall no 2.

IMG_6102_3_4.jpg

But we could not see waterfall no 3. This third one is created by machhakunda river. We inquired there with locals, they said to see that one, we have to go down by 800+ steps. Time was 12.45 PM and there was no facility for lunch there. Some snacks were with us and we purchased some more there. Filled up two water bottles and decided to skip lunch and go down for a different view of this great Duduma Waterfall.

NEXT= Full view of gurgling Duduma waterfall

Last edited:

Bhaski9836

Super excellent pictures and easy write up Sajal da. Very informative.

one thing I wanted to know....if one stay at Koraput City, where many Hotels are available is that an easy option for Deomali trip?like a full day excursion to Deomali Top from Koraput and back to koraput after Sunset viewing?

Regards.

PM me your mobile number.

sajalsheth

Still Learning ©
Wonderful Sajal Sir.
Thanks SVP ji..

Super excellent pictures and easy write up Sajal da. Very informative.

one thing I wanted to know....if one stay at Koraput City, where many Hotels are available is that an easy option for Deomali trip?like a full day excursion to Deomali Top from Koraput and back to koraput after Sunset viewing?

Regards.

PM me your mobile number.
Thanks Bhaski9836 ji..... Deomali is 61 KM from Koraput. So you can easily have one day trip. more details at

Deomali | Koraput Tourism

& the route map will be

Route for Koraput to Deomali Top

But I would suggest you to stay at Sunabeda or Similiguda. There are many option here. It will be only 41 Km from Deomali.

Best of Luck to you.

sajalsheth

Still Learning ©
Duduma - The Big Triple Waterfalls - Day 2 Part II

"Full view of gurgling Duduma waterfall " - for getting this we had to go down stairs for around 800 steps and further down via big stones. But before that I want to share some pictures taken from Top.

Some view from Top

IMG_6111_2_3.jpg

This one with slow shutter speed

IMG_6114.jpg

View from another place of top view point

IMG_6116.jpg

It was a different prospective view from here

IMG_6117.jpg

View of Duduma Waterfall from the gap between two big stones along with all the mountains there

IMG_6118_19_20Compressor.jpg

I asked Dilip to take some pictures of mine on that big stones with view of Duduma in the stone's gap

IMG_6121.jpg

IMG_6122.jpg

IMG_6125.jpg

Going further on left side of those big stones, I got this view. There were many people below.
Can you see them ?

IMG_6126.jpg

Now you can see all of them....Can you ?

IMG_6127.jpg

Now looking at those people we decided to skip lunch and go down stairs. I removed my thermals, jacket etc and gave to one shop owner lady and asked her to take care of them along with bike helmet. We also purchased some snacks from her. Filled up two bottles of water and started going down stairs.

IMG_6128.jpg

I had learned from that senior Guruji at Ashram that these stair cases were built by a contractor as a service to visitors. He did not charge anything from Government or anybody. God bless him.

IMG_6129.jpg

Some visitors were climbing up and they asked us for some water. We gave them one bottle to drink. But we were thinking that what we will drink and who will give us water while we come back. But they drank only half and gave us half back. Now we had one and half bottle water left.

Going down further, I could get better view of waterfall no 2.
We could see four people taking bath on that waterfall. Can you find them in this picture ?

IMG_6130_1_2.jpg

Now you can surely see them :D

IMG_6133.jpg

Now you can have an idea how big these waterfalls were !

IMG_6134.jpg

A better and wide view

IMG_6135_6_7.jpg

It took me around 35 minutes to go down. And then we had reached the bottom of that mountain.
We could see all the three waterfalls of Duduma from there.
I was amazed by the gurgling stream of Duduma Waterfalls.

IMG_20141207_135113.jpg

The Big One

IMG_6138_39_40Compressor.jpg

The third one was not visible from top, but from here I could see the third one also

IMG_6144.jpg

Third one is formed by the machhkunda river which we saw at Onukudelli Dam

IMG_6143.jpg

A view of the sliding water of machhkunda river

IMG_6145.jpg

The sound of falling water was the best part

IMG_6146.jpg

These 574 feet high glittering waterfalls that has been formed by the Machhkund River. The site of the waterfall abounds in dense deciduous type forests and the beautiful topography made all the more beautiful by the gurgling stream.

Tried a Panoramic photography also

IMG_20141207_135718.jpg

Dilip was also very happy

IMG_6149.jpg

This looks small but there is big pit there and water is very deep. Last year in September a lady from Andhra died here. Her body was recovered after 2 days.

IMG_6150.jpg

This water falls in such a force that a spray or mist atmosphere is created there. The mountain opposite is fully wet.

IMG_6151.jpg

Some more pictures of that great waterfall

IMG_6155.jpg

IMG_6156.jpg

One can stand here for hours just listening to the sound of falling water

IMG_6157.jpg

Tough the water was not clear one, lots of soil in it, but looking to it was a treat.

IMG_6159.jpg

Asked Dilip to take a picture of me with Duduma Waterfall for remembrance

IMG_6165.jpg

Those who missed the video , here is the link
of YOUTUBE
Video of Duduma Waterfalls- See all the three & feel the sound of water !

We had our "lunch" of biscuits and other snacks we bought. We did not drink much water as we had to conserve it while we climb back.
This is the way to come down here.

IMG_6171.jpg

View from the place where we had snacks

IMG_6175.jpg

It was 2.20 PM and we had to visit Onukudelli also. So we started our journey back to top. It was very tiring for me to climb back these steps.

IMG_6176.jpg

I was taking rest after climbing 30-40 stairs

IMG_6178.jpg

Somehow we reached at top at around 3.30 PM. It took me 35 minutes to go down, but 70 minutes to climb back.

IMG_6181.jpg

We started our journey to Onukudelli - The Local Haat , where Bondas tribal come.
An enormous hydro electricity project has been built around the Duduma Waterfalls. we had to see them both.
A view of Duduma Waterfalls Top, while looking back.

IMG_6182.jpg

A zoom view

IMG_6184.jpg

This is that underground canal water. Part of which falls down to create Duduma -1. That blue green house on right controls the water flaw to hydro electricity project ahead.

IMG_6186.jpg

That is the winch trolley ride motor room for Machhkund mini hydro plant .

IMG_6189.jpg

This winch trolley lead right down to the bottom where the turbines are located

IMG_6188.jpg

There are also stairs to go down

IMG_20141207_160238.jpg

During day time one can go down with this winch trolley at 6 AM , 8 AM and at 11 AM. They charge Rs.10 and you have to go with workers of hydro plant when they go down. As we reached there at 4 PM, we could not use that. There was not much time to use stairs also.

IMG_20141207_160251.jpg

Took this picture of Machhkunda river, which flaws along scenic mountains

IMG_6190_1_2.jpg

Our next target was Onukudelli Market and THE BONDAS Tribals.

IMG_6193.jpg

It was 4.20 PM and the Onukudelli market was nearly empty.

IMG_6195.jpg

Although I knew that Bondas Tribals come here only on Thursdays , I inquired with local people about them

IMG_6194.jpg

We also roamed around for some time

IMG_20141207_161901.jpg

These pictures of BONDAS Tribal were taken by our senior Bcmtourian @adc in 2010. Posting here for you to know about Bondas tribe.

IMG_4335.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

Both the picture are not clicked by me. Picture Credit to Sri @adc ji

While come back we took different route. We came across Machhkund Village. This was a moist affected place few years back. We also saw blasted police station there.
We re-filled our water bottle here and took different route to reach back to Kundili Gurukul Ashram.

IMG_6197.jpg

At 7 PM , We reached at Gurukul Ashram at Kundili Village. We avoided going to Semiligula and we took a right short cut from Dusara Village. After reaching I talked with my wife over phone and informed her about my where about. We had hot rice dalma for dinner. After dinner we both sat inside warm kitchen cooking area for some time. I went to sleep at 9 PM.

What a day it was. I slept thinking about the great Duduma Waterfalls.

I had traveled for 192 Km today. My map for the day was :

Day two.jpg

NEXT=Ride back to Cuttack

Last edited: