Desert cooler with ducts to cool entire home

jeetcp

Mediocre me
Take the fish out of the water and odor will go away..... he he.
No on a serious note, it is a problem.

Another one is relate to the residue in water and because of dust. That choke the water pipes some times. Khus pads also help in chocking them. Khush can be cleaned from the pipes, but the residue becomes strong like cement over time.

narender

DRIFTER
Re: Enquiry ~::~ Tower shaped Desert Cooler for Home

Do remember to choose a lower speed fan rather than a high speed fan. Noise is the reason.:
Exactly!!!
With a high speed fan/Exhaust fan,it feels like you are sitting in a factory because of noise.I had to replace my heavy duty exhaust fan with a very small kit fan to bring the noise level down.Watching TV and conversing was a pain due to exhaust noise.
But with that silent kit fan,peace is restored in the room.

---------- Post added at 08:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 AM ----------

The packing thickness of the wood shavings has to be at least ¾ inch, uniformly distributed across the entire panel.
Double layers of pads may work fine ,i guess.

prem.arora

Thank you Anup for the detailed response, helped me a lot. I think I have a good idea of things now. I don't think I can live without ducting. One- I want to cover drawing room, kitchen, one bedroom with this one cooler. Two- keeping multiple cooler is not possible, less space in balcony. Three- my flat isn't in straight line.
Plus I don't want any cooler music in drawing room. So would keep it in my bedroom balcony and have the duct going to the drawing room. But while thinking all this, I was wondering, what happens for the rest of the 6-7 months, is there something like portable ducting. Else the ducts would always be there in the balcony all year around, not the best thing.

And I will go out today to seek opinion of the cooler builders.

Cheers....

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, that’s always a big issue. Any solution for that sir?
Waiting for the solution Sir...We also experienced the same...
No on a serious note, it is a problem.

Another one is relate to the residue in water and because of dust. That choke the water pipes some times. Khus pads also help in chocking them. Khush can be cleaned from the pipes, but the residue becomes strong like cement over time.
I have also lived with this problem for decades now! :p

Here is the reason why the smell/stink develops in the first place - moist surroundings and warmth. When the cooler is not running and the sun is shining, conditions inside it are ideal for the growth of bacteria, mould, fungus etc.!
Obviously, the whole assembly needs to be washed and cleaned!

And yes, as Jeet has pointed out, the perforated water pipes on top of the pads also get choked. If you see a pad not getting fully wet, it's time to replace those water pipes. They are cheap; the problem is to find someone willing to do the job.

What I have been doing: Whenever that awful stink starts coming, drain all the water from the cooler tank. Fill a small quantity of fresh water and add a cup of white vinegar to the water, start the water pump (not the fan!) and wait for five minutes to allow it to thoroughly wet the pads. Drain and fill again. The stink should no longer be there!
If you can tolerate a faint whiff of vinegar in the air you could add a small quantity to the water and run the cooler as such. This will inhibit growth of bacteria and mould.

Mild cases of smelly water can be treated by simply dropping a few pellets of camphor into the water bath.

The trick is to allow minimum 'off-time' to the water flow. Stagnant water creates the problem of stink. A continuously running cooler never stinks.

Zinc oxide powder, the active ingredient in many talcum powders, is very effective in preventing bad smells from developing. It is a very powerful anti bacterial agent. The problem is that it is not soluble in water. If you can hold it in suspension for a while with the pump running, it is likely to solve the problem for a few weeks.
A zinc anode fitted in the cooler works very successfully since it will keep releasing zinc oxide in minute quantities!

Exactly!!!
With a high speed fan/Exhaust fan,it feels like you are sitting in a factory because of noise.I had to replace my heavy duty exhaust fan with a very small kit fan to bring the noise level down......
Double layers of pads may work fine ,i guess.
Spot on, Masterji! What is needed is a large but slow speed fan with high blade pitch to throw large volumes of air.
And yes, for smaller coolers that take the ready made pads, double layers work well. Unfortunately, for the large boxes there are no ready made pads available.

aamien

=D>=D>
I have also lived with this problem for decades now! :p

Here is the reason why the smell/stink develops in the first place - moist surroundings and warmth. When the cooler is not running and the sun is shining, conditions inside it are ideal for the growth of bacteria, mould, fungus etc.!

Spot on, Masterji! What is needed is a large but slow speed fan with high blade pitch to throw large volumes of air.
And yes, for smaller coolers that take the ready made pads, double layers work well. Unfortunately, for the large boxes there are no ready made pads available.
Sir ji,

So much details, i'm actually dumbstruck.

Cheers=D>

Last edited by a moderator:

dzarg

Wonderfully detailed info, thanks for all the gyan. My 2p:
Some of the natural oils likes citronella, lemongrass, niligi etc are extremely effective in removing odor and in adding a fresh fragrance during summer. an additional benefit that they also help keep mosquitoes in check. I have been able to succesfully use this at home and works quite well. In fact it is almost like a vaporizer and the home smells quite nice.

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to BCMTouring, Dzarg! :) Hehe, that doesn't sound very friendly!

Thanks for sharing this info!
Sure I'll try lemongrass; I do not have the oil extract. Would be a lovely fragrance filling up the home! :)

dzarg

Thank you for the warm welcome sir.

For those who are interested in hi-capacity ducted evaporative cooling systems, you can check this site out: (i have no connection to this firm, just fyi)
— Breezair India :: Evaporative Air Cooling Systems

They have some large evaporative coolers using more modern technology, unfortunately most of these units would be overkill for a typical apartment/home. I hope these guys enter the retail sector as well, and that we can get some modernisation to our existing cooler tech.

For eg:
I use a locally assembled cooler just like our esteemed moderator, and it works quite well. Just a few improvement I think could have made it so much better:

- The inner brackets/motor mounts to these units are just ordinary painted mild steel. They rust pretty quickly in the internally humid space of teh cooler. This should ideally be some kind of rust proof material.

- if these units came with better water inlet piping/float valve features, it could be a connect and forget solution. instead of having to monitor water levels constantly.

- a water level sensor for the pump, so that the pump shuts off if water is drained completely. this will prevent damage to the pump.

- the cooler body is FRP so its easy to move and doesn't rust. If they used ABS, it could be made a bit more durable.

apart from this they work quite well.. the wood wool mats are cheap and easy to get, and last one season. The motor seems pretty good too, and havent faced problems despite running almost 24x7.

most of the big firms in this business are just selling overpriced and low quality c**p. if they only did even a little bit of genuine product design it would have been good.

just my 2p, if any of you comes across a product with above features please do let me know.

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
- if these units came with better water inlet piping/float valve features, it could be a connect and forget solution. instead of having to monitor water levels constantly.

- a water level sensor for the pump, so that the pump shuts off if water is drained completely. this will prevent damage to the pump.
Dzarg, any of the makers of the local cooler boxes will sell you a float valve. They have both the light plastic ones and the regular brass ones.
I have always used these on any cooler I have ever had. Connect and forget, literally!

The tower type pumps do not get damaged with dry running. Only the external Tullu pumps will suffer shaft seal damage with dry running.
Once you have a float valve fitted, the need for pump dry run protection is eliminated.

The five or six foot tall boxes, meant for 24" fans, are not available in FRP or ABS. A new box is needed every six or seven years.

The link you have provided seems to be a company more interested in fleecing customers than in honestly delivering value. That is my first reaction and could be wrong.
How do you explain their complete absence from the retail space? The kickbacks system doesn't work, eh? :grin:

dzarg

thanks for the tip, I'll check out the float valves for it. Though I am not sure i can fit it in my machine. I'll have to jerry rig it somehow.. and mine has a submersible pump that makes a screeching sound when the water is over. so not sure if it can withstand dry running.

re: breezair, Like I said I have absolutely no idea how good they are. All I know is that they seem to be pretty big in this business worldwide and have a big presence in several countries across the globe (esp in australia).
FWIW, I could be mistaken and this firm might be another scam.

Like I said, we can manage with our jugaad well enough, but sometimes I do wish we had a more professional player in this space.. I mean why still use flimsy GI boxes and rusty motors despite all the improvements that can be done..
:)