Desert cooler with ducts to cool entire home

narender

DRIFTER
The job of refurbishing the cooler can be outsourced. There are chaps available in any local market. They typically charge Rs.2K for the job for a large cooler. I get this done every two years.
Sir,I have applied a coat of Red Oxide Primer (Berger brand) inside surface of my newly purchased cooler.
Is Primer sufficient or should I apply a coat of paint enamel too to make it Rust proof???

Last edited:

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sir,I have applied a coat of Red Oxide Primer (Berger brand) inside surface of my newly purchased cooler.
Is Primer sufficient or should I apply a coat of paint enamel too???
That is sufficient. The tank will rust anyway!
This year I have not applied any coating, nor changed the pads. These pads are on season 3 now!
Have been using the cooler for the last few days; about 8 hours during daytime.

adsatinder

Plz Help Himabuj (Amit Tyagi) in Corona Fighting
I need to replace the body of our cooler. It has a 25" x 25" x 47" body at the moment. Local markets are quoting a rate of Rs 4000 for 20 gauge sheet. Is there a better rate anywhere else near New Friends Colony. Don't want to pay a prohibitive cartage either.

Any help would be really really useful. TIA.
Try Jamia Nagar Area.

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have been using the cooler for the last few days; about 8 hours during daytime.
I've just now turned off the cooler!
Today's RH levels are very low, 20% and lower. The outlet air temperature was 20°C and made the whole house too chilly! :eek:
In summer attire, I found 22°C unacceptably chilly in my room!

oriole12

Nature Lover
Actually these days, mornings and evenings are pleasant. We still have not switched on the coolers. I must dig out my old ones, replace pads, etc. before it gets too warm.

asmita

Try Jamia Nagar Area.

Thanks Satinderji. Been trying all over here. Thinking of buying a new one, rather than replacing the body.

- - - Updated - - -

I have today purchased a complete desert cooler in 4000 rs from nearby local market including Cartage.It is 20 gauge one according to the seller.
3000 for a body only is bit higher,i think.
Yes masterji. Even I think 4000 for just the body is too much. Scouting around is a bit of problem as allergies are creating havoc, along with wheezing. I was hoping to find vendor's name so that I could order :D.

prem.arora

The jaali border I meant, has become very rusty. Rest the whole cooler I did the paint job. I hope to complete it over this weekend. :)

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
..... It is a must to change the pads every year to keep cleanliness in the cooler as well as in the house. My opinion entirely.
The pads get washed twice each season and treated with zinc oxide powder, apart from having some zinc oxide in the cooler water tank too.

And while your opinion is reasonably valid it is worth remembering that nothing is as unhygienic as an AC recirculating the same air in a room over and over again.