Plz Help Himabuj (Amit Tyagi) in Corona Fighting
Bingo !
Anup ji
is technical person.
But can't keep the secret long !
LOL !

amitmaggoo

Insanity is Hereditary
Curious to ask a related question here to the inhouse technical expert Mathur Sir (dont see the need to start a new thread for a small query). The apartment which we are likely to move in by year end has central airconditioning. This will be provided by a central VRV unit connected to individual indoor units rather than individual external units. How cost and energy effective is that considering the grid and backup power cost in Ggn is considerably high.

Last edited:

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
AmitM, VRV units can be very cost effective (during operation, not first cost!) particularly if the condenser is water cooled rather than air cooled.
If air cooled, the operating cost can be lower by maybe 20 to 25% compared to unitary ACs. If water cooled, savings of upto 50% on the energy bill can be realized.

amitmaggoo

Insanity is Hereditary
Thanks sir for your prompt reply. I was wondering if it would be economical in a situation where say only 1 indoor unit is being used at a given time. And AFAIK this would be an air cooled unit.

prem.arora

The pads get washed twice each season and treated with zinc oxide powder, apart from having some zinc oxide in the cooler water tank too.

And while your opinion is reasonably valid it is worth remembering that nothing is as unhygienic as an AC recirculating the same air in a room over and over again.
Righto Boss! :rolleyes:

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
... I was wondering if it would be economical in a situation where say only 1 indoor unit is being used at a given time. ....
That should not really matter; an inverter controlled (variable) unit should be able to handle anything from about 10% load to full load.
Any idea how many apartments will share this 'central' air conditioning?
The builder should be encouraged to go in for a water cooled system. That will maximize running-cost savings though the system maintenance cost will be somewhat higher. Overall, there is appreciable saving of costs.

amitmaggoo

Insanity is Hereditary
That should not really matter; an inverter controlled (variable) unit should be able to handle anything from about 10% load to full load.
Any idea how many apartments will share this 'central' air conditioning?
The builder should be encouraged to go in for a water cooled system. That will maximize running-cost savings though the system maintenance cost will be somewhat higher. Overall, there is appreciable saving of costs.
Sir there will be a dedicated unit for each apartment placed in one of the balconies (described as service area in the map).

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sir there will be a dedicated unit for each apartment placed in one of the balconies (described as service area in the map).
Hmm, I would call this a multi split system; not quite the way I imagine 'central air conditioning' plants that would have large scroll type VRV units with a Paharpur cooling tower and most likely use brine cooling for distribution!
Is the ODU of this multi split inverter controlled or stepped capacity controlled?

lionel

Dear Anupji. I live in Ahmedabad and just like you mentioned in one of your posts that the cooler is effective here for 2-3 odd months in Delhi, its the same here too. I have a desert cooler which is installed in one of my bedrooms the placement of which is such that it can cool the entire kitchen, master bedroom or the living room depending on which windows you keep open. Basically the location is advantageous for controlling the flow direction.

Unfortunately I live on the 5th floor and the cooler is installed out of the window on angles, it has barely any access and maintaining it has become a pain since I can't drain the water out unless I open my front panel and then take the entire cooler inside the house to access the tank. Similar issues for changing the mats too.

I was thinking of shifting the cooler to the terrace (we have no balconies) and putting a duct. The duct would be 8ft in height. Am attaching an image of the current and proposed setup. Your expert review on the ducting and larger fan specifications can help me plan better. I propose to put a duct which is insulated. Since the heat will bear down on it after 2pm when the sun is at its peak in that angle.

Thank you sir.

Cooler-Setup.jpg

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lionel, an 8 ft duct would be quite feasible although it will rob the system of some performance mainly due to the fact that these fans are not 'pressure' fans like axial flow fans. And, BTW, axial flow fans can be very very noisy! Nothing like an Alstom 24" fan working at low speed.
There are hundreds of such installations in Delhi; people who do not want to acknowledge that they are using desert coolers, even though they could have mounted one right outside the window on the ground floor or on a balcony!!