Desert cooler with ducts to cool entire home

lionel

Thank you Anupji for the prompt response. A little performance loss is ok with me. At least I can save this cooler and use it with the duct. Else I would have to discard it.

I will use a larger fan and and plan a proper setting for the duct. This is possible since I am readying a new frame of the window ac to be installed. I will prepare the frame keeping in mind future duct installation.

Thank you once again.

Banveet Kaur

HelloI am from Delhi n i am staying in 2bhk apartment and I have one Ac for 1 Bedroom. I am thinking to purchase a Ducting Cooler for Another room as i won't be able to purchase another AC this will going to effect my whole Budget due to Double Electricity Bill. I am staying on 2nd Floor and i'll be Putting cooler on Terrace. Sir i don't have any window so it's not possible for me to put Cooler in Balcony and i'll be joining the Cooler with both my Bedrooms. I have dealers in Inderlok and they said the cost will be around 15,000. Before spending that much amount i want to know if Ducting cooler really works and will be successfully cool my house. It's a huge amount for me last year also i spend 6000 on a Plastic Cooler and it doesn't work at all and is not cooling my house. Basically all cooler need Open space and i don't have open space i just have terrace so that is why i thought to go fot Ducting. Kindly please give your Valuable advise i will be so Thankful . This is just a Rough design of my Apartment also please tell me how much does that whole thing gonna cost me with Installation

Also my Main aim is to reduce Electricity Bill and Avoid using 2 AC. Someone told me that if i'll be using Ducting AC it gonna cost me similar to AC.. I mean there won't be difference in Electricity bill is it true?

Last edited by a moderator:

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Banveet, welcome to BCMTouring! :D

Good that you have attached a schematic of your flat. Please indicate where the ducting from the terrace will connect to your flat; in the hall or one of the bedrooms? Ideally it should be the hall.
And yes, the ducted coolers work well enough though never as good as one directly installed in a window. These need to be the large coolers, typically 3x3x5 feet size and using a 24 inch exhaust fan. They do end up costing just a tad less than a 1 ton window AC but they pay back for themselves within the first couple of years because of the savings in the electricity bills. This does not include the cost of the ducting.
You must remember that a cooler never takes you through an entire summer in Delhi. You'd be lucky if you can use it for two months. After that, the relative humidity in the city always rises to 30% or more, which makes coolers ineffective.

You do seem to have a balcony; can a cooler not be accommodated there?

Banveet Kaur

Sir i won't be able to put cooler in Balcony due to Space issue the only option i have is putting it on Terrace. No i won't be Connecting Ducting with Hall i'll be connecting it with both my Bedroom and Ducting will come from Balcony Side. See this is rough design of my apartment from Side. Also i think the whole cost of Cooler + Installation will be around 15k right? I need a approx estimate

Desert Hunter

Super User
The more the ducting and Elbows in the same, the more will be e.s.p. (External Static Pressure) of the ductwork.
The Exhaust Fans installed in the Coolers are rated at 0 (Zero) esp. They already have resistance in moving air in the form of Cooler Pads and moist air. All this means that there will be much less air reaching the Rooms.
AC is the best gadget, and to keep a tab on Electricity Bill, set the Room Temp. at 26-28 Deg. C which is definitely better than what you would get with Cooler.

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sir i won't be able to put cooler in Balcony due to Space issue the only option i have is putting it on Terrace. No i won't be Connecting Ducting with Hall i'll be connecting it with both my Bedroom and Ducting will come from Balcony Side..... Also i think the whole cost of Cooler + Installation will be around 15k right? I need a approx estimate
The more the ducting and Elbows in the same, the more will be e.s.p. (External Static Pressure) of the ductwork.
AC is the best gadget, and to keep a tab on Electricity Bill, set the Room Temp. at 26-28 Deg. C which is definitely better than what you would get with Cooler.
Banveet, it seems your balcony could accommodate a cooler. Isn't it three feet wide? Having long ducting with multiple elbows is not a desirable situation, as Desert Hunter has already pointed out.
I disagree totally with the second part of Desert Hunter's post, that an AC is the best gadget and that a cooler cannot provide a temperature of 26-28°C.
Do take a look at my earlier posts and photos: http://www.bcmtouring.com/forums/threads/enquiry-tower-shaped-desert-cooler-for-home.43562/page-4#post-629161
These days Delhi is experiencing the ideal weather for desert coolers - high temperatures and very very low relative humidity. Anyone that doubts the magic that a cooler (correctly set up) can do is welcome to see and feel it at my place (send me a PM or call). The greatest benefit of a cooler is that it cools the entire home, including bathrooms and kitchen, at a cost that is a small fraction of an AC cooling just ONE room!

Ducting is an additional cost. The large cooler itself will cost about 16 to 18 thousand rupees.
I would strongly recommend that you do not go for elaborate ducting and install the cooler in the window of one of the bedrooms. The final result will justify the balcony space used for this and you will not regret the decision. You seem to overlook the fact that ducting will also occupy space on your balcony and will certainly not be a very pretty sight.
The final call is yours but do note the costs that I have indicated. It is very easy to try to economize and find that all the money was essentially wasted!
And please do not forget that a desert cooler will never take you through an entire summer! There comes a time when the cooler has to be turned off for the season, and ACs turned on.

Banveet Kaur

Thank you for the Valuable Suggestion Sir means a lot and No sir i cannot put the Cooler in Balcony because i don't have Space in Balcony and also i don't have any Window otherwise i would have drop the Ducting. The only Window i have is right on top of Balcony Door. That is why i am asking if i'll put the cooler on Terrace will the cooler would be able to provide the peoper service because there will huge gap

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well then, you have to go for ducting. Please keep the ducting generously proportioned, short in length and with minimum bends. The bends should be smooth curves and not sharp elbows.

...................................... Anyone that doubts the magic that a cooler (correctly set up) can do is welcome to see and feel it at my place (send me a PM or call). The greatest benefit of a cooler is that it cools the entire home, including bathrooms and kitchen, at a cost that is a small fraction of an AC cooling just ONE room!

The other benefit of visiting Anup sir's home is that, in addition to the external cooling that you'll experience, you are also likely to be given an internal cooler in the form of a chilled kingfisher.
:) :)