Destination Desert - Dubai, Al Ain and Fujairah

santanu

Day trip to Fujairah (continued)

While returning, I continued to take photos of the road and surrounding area.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Around 4.05 pm, we reached Kalba fort.

Kalba Fort was first built by the Portuguese in 1624, after they had captured an earlier Islamic fort on this site the year before. Around 1650 the Portuguese were forced out of the region and the Arabs built their own fort on the remains of the Portuguese one. It is that fort that we see today. I was not able to find any other historical information about the fort. The fort consists of a square enclosure on a raised platform, with a round corner tower and a rectangular keep inside.

We did not spend much time there. After taking few photographs from outside, we restarted our journey towards Fujairah.

4.jpg

We reached the Sheikh Zayed Mosque around 4.30pm.

5.jpg

This is the second largest mosque in UAE. It can hold around 28,000 worshippers. The mosque opened in 2015, and Fujairah's ruler Sheikh Hamad Bin Mohammed Al Shaqqi led the first Eid prayers. It has 65 domes and six minarets, between 80 and 100 metres (260 and 330 feet) in height. The courtyard of the mosque, with fountains and gardens, can hold 14,000 people.

Since we did not have much time, we did not go to inside the mosque. We saw its extravaganza from the courtyard only.

6.jpg

From Sheikh Zayed Mosque we went to our last destination of the day – Fujairah fort. While going there, I took some random photos of Fujairah town – the modern Fujairah.

7.jpg

8.jpg

Dating back to the 16th century, Fujairah fort is the among the oldest as well as the largest fort in UAE. It is located about 2 km from central modern Fujairah in the old Fujairah region, on a small rocky hill which reaches 20 meters high. It is around 1 km away from the coast. The fort complex consisted of a castle, mosque and several old houses. It is guarded by three round watchtowers and a square watchtower. The watchtowers and main building are connected by the walls, and there is a central hall surrounded by these towers and wall. The irregular shape of the castle is due to the uneven surface of the rock it sits on. The building is built of local materials, mostly rocks, gravels, mud, hay and plasters. Radiocarbon dating has identified the date of the construction as around 1500–1550. It was then renovated during 1650–1700. The British Navy destroyed one of the towers in 1925. The fort was restored by the Fujairah Administration of Antiquity and Heritage during 1997/2000 using the same materials with which it was built.

9.jpg

By the time we completed our visit, the sun was about to set. It was the time to start the return.

10.jpg

As per our advice, our driver dropped us to a Pakistani restaurant. It had two sections. The ground floor was for all and the first floor was for family. So we went to the first floor. But there, we had to sit on the floor. So, we came back to the ground floor. Anyway, there were not many customers in the restaurant during that time of the day so there was no such problem.

After having a sumptuous meal there, we took a private vehicle for coming back to Dubai. The driver charged AED 35 per person. We reached Dubai at quarter to 9 pm.

11.jpg

Reactions: cat

santanu

Conclusion

So that was our Dubai, Al Ain and Fujairah trip. Most people come to Dubai primarily to see malls and man-made marvels. But this has much more to offer. It’s landscape, its culture and history are really fascination. Hopefully, I will come back here again to explore that more deeply.

wonderfull

Sir, looks like you have enjoyed a the Dubai trip a lot. I have been there for 10 days trip and it was fantastic. It's more like a develop country, with wide road, lots of tourist places, several historical point and many more. Places like Qasr al watan and Sheikh zayed mosque is just a fantastic place. I can't find any safari pics on your post? I visited the three types of safari trip out of which i like the Dubai overnight safari trip a lot. It had everything from camel ride, local food, belly dance and much more.
fire-show-dubai.jpg