Do's & Dont's in Himalayas while traveling, trekking, driving, riding and camping etc

mindless wanderer

with age, get a cage!
Re: Do's & Dont's in Himalayas while traveling, trekking, driving, riding and camping

Juley…

You all will be glad to know that the tourists were visiting the Marhi and Rohtang Pass during 1962-63 also but that time the route was from Kothi-Rahla-Marhi and not from Kothi-Gulaba-Marhi and that time there were some tent dabhas in Marhi and they were doing good business there by providing beds, foods and tea etc. to the mulemen, locals and tourists. The names of the Tent Dabhas were “NEPALI HOTEL” , “BHARAT HOTEL”, “LADAKHI HOTEL”, “CHAMBA HOTEL” “HIMALAYA HOTEL”, “PUNJABI HOTEL” and “DIL KHUSH HOTEL” That time the Dabhas were called as Hotels and I spent days in “DIL KHUSH HOTEL”. Since the Kullu and Lahaul Spiti were in the Kangra District of Punjab State so the Punjabi Hotel was also there. The locals of Chamba were grazing their sheep and goats in Lahaul valley so the Chamba Hotel and that the Ladhakhies of Zanskar valley were also doing this route via Darcha-Padum so the Ladakhi Hotel which has now been shifted to Manu Market Manali and selling the Chinese Dishes, I know and have a good link with them. Some hotel owners have changed the names of their hotels and now some new hotels have came up. The Nepali Hotel is still there. All these tent dabha owners are my childhood friends but a few know me since my childhood i.e the owner of Nepali Hotel. I left them for my schooling but they remained there and later I joined the Govt. service, so said good buy to my Marhi friends. Here, I saw the rush of Mules and mule men carrying essential commodities, cement, saria and even the angle irons of bridges, iron ropes etc. to Lahaul valley but the tourists were less in number. The hundreds of mules and coolies were carrying the goods daily and staying their nights in Kothi, Tungu, Rahla, Gramphu, Sissu, Gondla and Keylong in Tent Dabhas but a few tourists were doing Manali-Kothi-Rahla-Marhi and Rohtang Pass. The destination of tourists were upto Rohtang Pass but some were going back from Rahla and Marhi due to cold and some used to tire due to thirst and hunger. Many fell ill due to steep walk and many of them were found weeping and crying en-route by us. They were the real BCMTians. I often or you say daily used to go to Rohtang Pass or sometime Rahla with a bundle of RAJA biscuits to enjoy its eating at Rohtang Pass as at the Rohtang Pass, no tent dabhas were there. The Raja biscuit was wrapped in a bundle and that time it was very popular. It was a straight path for mules and heavy mule traffics were there. All the mule men were locals and known to me and after enjoying the snow and nature in Rohtang I used to come back to Marhi running in one breath. In Marhi there were so many patches of thick birch trees and I remember that it was so thick at some places that one can’t see the shining sun in the sky but now a few trees are witnessing their survival.

Now I come to the point as to why the husband –wife, father-son, brother-brother, brother-sister, grandpa-grandson, etc. should not travel to highest passes is that while staying in Marhi , I witnessed many incidences there and one of them is that a mule man was coming towards Marhi from Gramphu with mules, what he saw at Rohtang Pass was surprising that a beautiful lady in Saree was sitting on a big stone along the path and when he reached near he saw that the lady has frozen tears below eyes but saying nothing when he asked as to what she is doing there. Actually her mouth and lips were frozen due to cold and stormy wind. The muleman was aware of such happenings in Rohtang Pass, Marhi and Rahla so he thought that her husband might have left her there to save his life. He touched her face and hands, looked at her eyes, the tearing eyes were requesting, “ Oh man ! don’t leave me alone, I am dying, help me and be my God.” It was going to dark so he without thinking any thing lifted her body at his back and headed walking to Marhi. The Rohtang Top has about 3 to 4 KMs of plain walk and carrying her on the back, when he reached near Rahni Nala, her blood circulated in the body due to movement and she became normal and she felt movement in elbow and knees and said that now she is Okay and can walk downhill. He than given support to her arm and she started walking slowly and told the story that they are newly married couple and reached at Rohtang Pass at about 1 PM in a pleasant weather but at 2 PM it changed surprisingly by blowing of cold winds and we couldn’t walk in such a cold condition so my husband said to sit here on this big stone till I come back , I will go to Marhi and come with some warm clothes, wooden poles, ropes and man coolies for lifting you but about 3 hours have passed he didn’t return to me and due to cold wind my hands, legs, mouth etc. were became like cold stones. She was touching his feet and thanking again and again. He said, “your husband might have returned home leaving you but you don’t worry, we will help for food and bus fare for you as soon as we reach at Marhi. They reached Marhi in dark and in searching her husband they found him sitting on the stone made bed in a Tent Dabha enjoying tea and dinner in a very happy mood and gossiping with the mule men. The muleman told the incidence to the daba owner and it came to know that he is relaxing since 3-4 hours there taking tea and foods but he has never disclosed that his wife is waiting for a help at Rohtang Pass. I was also there in Marhi and the incidence was just like a live TV show, the wife quarreled that night and all the dabha owners enjoyed the episode as the wife was not ready to live with him more but the next morning they left the place for Manali for going home.

Such type of incidences happened there about four times within two months and it happened even with the local families also while crossing the Rohtang Pass in snow before opening the Pass and after its closing i.e. during March/April and Oct./Nov. and that too upto the years of 2002. but it is true that the friends and other un-known people rescued them a lot but many might have died. Here the locals never cross the Rohtang with family members during the winter months and even they avoid traveling together in a vehicle. Recently during 1999 to 2002 the Gorkha labors while crossing Rohtang Pass in March/April left many children there after making the plans by husbands and wives and the locals brought them to Gramphu and Koksar and handed over to their parents after they are beaten by the locals in dabhas. The parent starts weeping when they see their children in Koksar accompanying the locals. Why they leave the sons, wives, fathers, mothers, the main reason is the fear of death, as when one looks death very near to him, he leaves his family members just to save his own life. This is universal truth. The other reasons are said that there are some good and bad God on all the high passes and while reaching there, they have to be worshipped and the purity of such places are to be maintained. This is a real secret of all the highest passes so avoid traveling late and early in the season with family through the highest passes Continue…. Juley…
Juley Top Singh Ji

That is quite something!!!!

Re: Do's & Dont's in Himalayas while traveling, trekking, driving, riding and camping

Awesome Top Singh ji. You always have something interesting and informative to share with the vast experience and knowledge that you have.

Juley..
This is copy/paste from my own travelogue which you all will find useful in this thread:-
Juley..Servival in snow..

It was a clear night and the cloudy nights are warmer than the clear nights. I was feeling too cold in the room as the cold winds were entering from the windows, doors and roof holes making the room like a cold air castle. My fingers of hands and feet were paining due to severe cold and freezing of blood. I was aware that I have to put my fingers in the luke warm water as the fire heat will damage the fingers. It was a critical situation even my brain was not working properly and there was a fear in my mind for getting survival. I was in hurry to save my life so I started walking in the room to get the blood circulation in the body and particularly in the paining fingers. I lighted the fire place with the help of some fuelwoods for making the water luke warm for putting my fingers in it as soon as it can to save the fingers but I was thinking of a permanent solution for not getting the pains in the fingers again as its treatment of lukewarm water again and again will finish my fuelwood stock and it was very dangerous there. And suddenly by the grace of almighty God a saying of my Grandpa i.e. " The cold air of the size of an elephant can enter from the small hole of a niddle, so close the windows to make the room warm" came in to my mind and I followed the saying and started closing the holes with bed sheets, card boards, newspaper sheets, gunny bags etc. It worked magically, now the room became bit warm and my fingers were also returned to normal, the fingers pain gone. I also thought of a plan to lay all the clothes, woods etc on the floor and wall with the reasons that the laid materials on the floor and wall will preserve the warmness in it from the heat of fire place and it will keep the room warm subject to the conditions that the door and windows are not opened frequently. This plan also worked to my full satisfaction and now the room became warm and liveable.

The above servival techeniqes are based on the experiences and it is no where mentioned. If you see the old houses in the Leh Ladakh region you will see the small windows of one or two glasses and small doors of about 4fts. heights that is made to prevent frequent cold air in the room and that they lay wooden planks on the floor and carpets to make the room warmer for long time as the planks preserve the warmness in it and similarly the cold wind doesn't enter in the room from the small window and door. This is an ancient techenique to make the room warm.

I thought an another plan also which was more usefull that is to keep the animals in the same room to get the room warm from their body heat. I have many techeniques which I will tell you in the next slot. Continue..Juley..

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:

Hulbatte

Juley Top Sing Bodh ji,

Today I stumbled upon this very informative thread. You are an expert on this topic. Thanks for guiding. We are very privileged to have you guiding us the local customs.
I feel proud that, in my few visits to Ladakh region I never did anything which we are not supposed to do. Like touching prayer flags, climbing on milestones etc.

My ride to Ladakh was in 1991 the next visit in 2001 and the ride this year. I could feel the culture changing in Leh. In 1991 we hardly used get all north Indian dishes. We used to get noodles, momos, chop suey etc. Also the local people used to wear traditional Ladakhi costumes. But now it is not the case.

Juley Top Sing Bodh ji,

Today I stumbled upon this very informative thread. You are an expert on this topic. Thanks for guiding. We are very privileged to have you guiding us the local customs.
I feel proud that, in my few visits to Ladakh region I never did anything which we are not supposed to do. Like touching prayer flags, climbing on milestones etc.

My ride to Ladakh was in 1991 the next visit in 2001 and the ride this year. I could feel the culture changing in Leh. In 1991 we hardly used get all north Indian dishes. We used to get noodles, momos, chop suey etc. Also the local people used to wear traditional Ladakhi costumes. But now it is not the case.
Juley..Hulbatte..Ji..
Thanks for liking this thread and following the advises given by me. The locals now wear the traditional costumes in their fair, festivals, marriages, religious gatherings etc. Juley..

Thanks for such an informative thread, the advice's are taken into notice and will be kept in mind.

Thanks for such an informative thread, the advice's are taken into notice and will be kept in mind.
Juley..Anannya Sethi Shah..ji..
Thanks a lot. Yes obviously, I wrote the thread to take a note of the above advices while traveling in the Himalayas. Juley..

ggnajay

We should keep one empty polybag to collect garbage (left-out by others ) during treks to avoid more environmental damage... a small effort can change a lot... Educated peoples of India were creating huge garbage at Auli after fun and even complaining of mis-management !!! self improvement is best improvement...