Do's & Dont's in Himalayas while traveling, trekking, driving, riding and camping etc

Re: Do's & Dont's in Himalayas while traveling, trekking, driving, riding and camping

Hello..Khamzang ena lay.. Juley..

While doing Manali-Leh the drivers don't use the road and instead I have seen that the Trucks using the ground and destroying the 50 KMs long Morey Plain. They should use the road, not the ground coze this destroy the grass polluting the environment by spreading the dust there. Since the name of the Morey Plain in Tibetan language is Kiang Chhoo Thang the meaning of which is as under:-
Kiang = Wild Horse
Chhoo = Water
Thang = Ground
It means the "The Ground of Water where the Wild Horses Drink Water"
Here not only the Wild Horse (Asian Tibetan Ass) but all the animals of the area like Ibex, Marmot, Asian Tibetan Wolf, Blue sheep, Asiatic tibetan dog, Yak, Churu etc come to drink water in the ground but now they are running away due to dust and noise of vehicles and some of them met with an accident and die under the tires of vehicles. I have also seen that the taxi drivers drive the car speedily in the ground to chase the others. so always use the road while in himalayas and never use the grounds which in fact are the pasture land or water source of the wild and domestic animals as well. I have also seen the riders and drivers use the short cut which also disturb the wild animals. Save Wild Life.. The pic is as under:-

Attachments

Last edited:

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: Do's & Dont's in Himalayas while traveling, trekking, driving, riding and camping

Gosh, this thread will be an education!
How many of us knew this fact about the More Plains? :eek:

narender

DRIFTER

Top Singh ji,juley
You are our mentor and providing good insight about many aspect of himalayas.Please keep the class in progress,we are very much present sir.

One small input from my side as well. Please do not throw away the used wrappers/packets of chips/biscuits/cigrettes. I have seen that people from plains smoke like chimneys once they are in hills and provide a lame excuse upon questioning that's its f**king cold here!!

on my tour to newzealand when i was visiting south, there is a lake name tekapo.near the lake there is a statue of dog.tourist from america come and ride that dog statue which hurt the sentiments of local people.
Hello samurai..Khamzang ena lay ... Juley..
OMG its an amazing way of hurting the locals. Thanks a lot for the information you shared... Juley...

Top Singh Bodh

From my experience of trekking in Himalayas:

If i'm putting up a tent in a lonely place at night, i make it a point to stay away from touching ground of any graveyard or a burial site (single or multiple) during the day. Many times i've had new tent ropes bitten away by dogs in the dead of the night.
Hello citylife.. Khamzang ena lay.. Juley...
Yes, we should not touch the sensitive and religious things while trekking in Himalayas but you didn't mention the particular place in Himalaya where you pitch the tents in a lonely place in night and faced the problem by dogs. However, thanks again for sharing your experiences here in the thread. Juley..

Top Singh Bodh

People travelling in cars, please don't use heater in the car and keep the blower on fresh air mode.
Hello vikas the shokeen biker... Khamzang ena lay.. Juley..
Thanks for the valuable advise, yes, I agree that we shouldn't use heater in the Car while touring in Himalayas, scientific reason being that in high altitude there is Oxygen problem and if we switch on the heater by closing all the doors and windows of the car, the heater (warm air) will consume or destroy the Oxygen very quickly in side of the car and which can create a serious problem of breathing in such a high altitude area... Thanks again.. Juley..

Top Singh Bodh

Khamzang ena lay.. Juley Singh sahab. Please dont say thanks. We are all here to help ourselves and others. You are doing a great job for the fellow travelers.
Hello tejasnikhar.. Khamzang ena lay... Juley...
Okay but you are the man who motivated me to join BCMT for which I am really thankful to you. So, I can't forget your kindness .... Juley...

Top Singh Bodh

In most cars sold in India cabin heating is provided with the heat from the coolant. That is why on a cold winter morning the heater does not give forth warm air immediately after start up.
Some cars have electric heating elements for instant heat even without the engine being warmed up.

And yes, in the hills bi-level AC is required - warm air from footwell vents and cold air to the windshield.

Hello anupmathur ji...Khamzang ena lay... Juley...
Thanks a lot sir. You have got an amazing and authentic knowledge in all the subjects for which the BCMTians are proud of having such an intelligent Moderator. GBU..Thanks sir.. Juley...

Top Singh Bodh

Gosh, this thread will be an education!
How many of us knew this fact about the More Plains? :eek:
Hello anupmathur sir.. Khamzang ena lay.. Juley...
Thanks a ton sir..you have recognized my works by giving an identity to such a level i.e. "The Thread will be an Education" I am pleased, glad and speechless sir. You have boosted my morale sir. . thanks again.. Juley..

Top Singh Bodh

Top Singh ji,juley
You are our mentor and providing good insight about many aspect of himalayas.Please keep the class in progress,we are very much present sir.

Hello narender bro...Khamzang ena lay... Juley...
Fifty Thousands thanks for complementing me as your mentor. Yes, obviously I will try my best to put my 100& efforts in this thread to make you all happy and cheerful. Actually, I never thought while creating this thread that this will be liked by the members so much, its all your greatness, sir. Thanks again.. Juley...

Top Singh Bodh

One small input from my side as well. Please do not throw away the used wrappers/packets of chips/biscuits/cigrettes. I have seen that people from plains smoke like chimneys once they are in hills and provide a lame excuse upon questioning that's its f**king cold here!!

Hello invincible....Khamzang ena lay.. Juley...

Thanks for your valuable inputs as to what shouldn't do while in Himalayas. Here in Kullu-Manali the use of polythene has been banned by the H.P. Govt. and "Paryavaran Bachao, Plastic Hatao" Abhiyan are going on at Block, District and State level. Thanks again.. Juley..

Top Singh Bodh

Last edited by a moderator:

woodboats

Great thread!
I was wondering, along with all the other info if we could include "people" Do's & Dont's?
By this I mean how to act, or not to act, when meeting local people. With many cultural differences among travellers it may help out in getting along.

I am a firm believer that a traveller is only a guest and should abide by local customs as best as they can.
Cheers

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQyMSDHKQOo"]YouTube - 24062009113 Car racing[/ame]

Hello Khamzang ena lay.. Juley...
A video clip by my cellphone N-82 (5MP) on 24.06.09 showing how the taxi drivers chasing the cars by driving in the open 50 KMs More Plain ground and destroying pasture land and water sources of Wild animals and sometime they die under the tires. I request the J &K Govt to take note of it and earmark the metal road by Iron guarder fencing so that the pasture land, water sources, wild animals and Changpas (Nomads living there in tents with domestic animals in summer to graze them) are saved. I also request to all people to drive/ride on the existing metal road and don't drive on the pasture land... Juley..

Top Singh Bodh

Last edited:

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member

Top Singh ji, how/why did you allow the taxi drivers to behave this way? :confused:
They probably do such things in ignorance.

Another thing I wanted to know is whether there is any water source at the More Plains. I was under the impression there is none.

Top Singh ji, how/why did you allow the taxi drivers to behave this way? :confused:
They probably do such things in ignorance.

Another thing I wanted to know is whether there is any water source at the More Plains. I was under the impression there is none.
Hello.anupmathur ji.. Khamzang ena lay.. Juley..

I don't allow them but they were eight taxi drivers going to Manali in the midnight at Leh so I shared one Sumo out of them and reached More Plain in the morning I said them to use the road but they were driving at their own as they were illiterate, need to educate them about the pollution at Leh Taxi Stand but same are the cases with Truck Drivers they also drive day & night without knowing the importance of wild life, pasture land and water source etc. I restrained my taxi driver there but-in-vain he said that we will reach pang early by following the ground and this is their daily routine there and soon he started chasing the other taxi so I got an opportunity to make a video of them destroying the pasture land and polluting the ground by dust. I was on way to Manali after completing my dream trek i.e.Darcha-Padum-Shuru .

Yes there are series of lakes in the months of Feb, Mar, Apr,May and up to June end and there after the snow melt lakes get dry but after june end there still remains plenty of water at many places in the ground for the wild animals there. Beside the water of ground they go to Pang Nalla which is just near and water of which flow along Pang tents in the river. They also go towards tanglangla side nalla to drink water. It is worthwhile to mention that in the more plain at many places the water springs out like spring and fills in the gaps and drains which the animals use often. We should do something for their betterment and the JK Govt. can also declare this historic ground of "KIANG-CHHOO-THANG" as a "WILD LIFE SANCTURY' or "NATIONAL PARK'. I visited there in the early months and seen temporary lakes of snow melt water at 2 places that too about 1 KM and 3 KMs long along the road and later after June the lakes dry and look like a small farm pond. Juley..

Top Singh Bodh

Last edited:

MudgilSushil

DC Junkie ....

=D>=D>=D>=D>

Being a himachali and some body , who cares for nature , Thanks top singh ji for starting a thread on a subject close to my heart .

Already we have seen effect of tourists in and around shimla / manali , where with easy money coming via tourists , things have become more or less same as metro;s and nature has gone for a complete toss in those areas . upper areas ( Lahaul spiti / kinnaur ) are still virgin and should be protected as tourists has started to visit these places now .

i seriously thank the govt of HP for creating a rule where in outsiders cannot purchase land there . this has prevented our green forests some how and our locals growing awareness about nature has only increased the forest lands.

we are fast turning our green lands to urban jungles. humans has long lived in harmony with nature and they still live the same way in few places but unfortunately with urbanization and comfort being out top most priorities, we are getting more and more away from nature.

i often see people taking their gas guzzling machines to forest in the name of off-Roading and spoiling the forests there and proudly displaying those photos on various forums. I feel like :gib::gib: them . i am not against urban way of life, it's only human to look for more in our lives but we often forget from where we have come from .

as a travelers it's our utmost responsibility to keep the place, we visit to see the mother natures beauty , neat and clean . it's all about giving back to the nature . let us pledge to take all the waste that we create in our journeys back to where we started ...