Do's & Dont's in Himalayas while traveling, trekking, driving, riding and camping etc

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: Do's & Dont's in Himalayas while traveling, trekking, driving, riding and camping

..... let us pledge to take all the waste that we create in our journeys back to where we started ...
Hey, Sushil, that's a bit thick! "Back to where we started"!!
We retain our litter till we get to a designated disposal site (read dustbin)! It would be quite a task to retain it all till we get back to Delhi! :eek:

MudgilSushil

DC Junkie ....
Re: Do's & Dont's in Himalayas while traveling, trekking, driving, riding and camping

Hey, Sushil, that's a bit thick! "Back to where we started"!!
We retain our litter till we get to a designated disposal site (read dustbin)! It would be quite a task to retain it all till we get back to Delhi! :eek:
i agree with your suggestions uncle ji .:p:p:p:p

i went a bit too far in that suggestion i guess :grin::grin:

samurai

atleast we can bring plastic things back.i always bring with me water filter so i don't need to buy those bottle water.for sure we can throw biodegradable waste, would be nice if we can cover it with soil.

Great thread!
I was wondering, along with all the other info if we could include "people" Do's & Dont's?
By this I mean how to act, or not to act, when meeting local people. With many cultural differences among travellers it may help out in getting along.

I am a firm believer that a traveller is only a guest and should abide by local customs as best as they can.
Cheers
Hello woodboats..Khamzang ena lay.. Juley...
I welcome your suggestions for including "People" in the thread heading but it is the people who has to do and dont's. Obviously the people comes under the preview and jurisdiction of this thread, you can share the experiences as to what to do and what don't in the thread. Actually I have not limited this thread only to not to hurt the sentiments of locals while traveling in their area but slowly slowly I will come to the trekking, biking and camping etc so I took a vast subject matter in this thread and shall share some tips and do and don't on the above while in Himalayas for the information and knowledge of the fellow members. Since I know the tradition, culture, heritage, custom, language of the himalayan residents and also know the places and their importance as is evident from my posts in the thread. You all are requested to share the valuable suggestions in the thread, I shall be happy... Juley..

Top Singh Bodh

=D>=D>=D>=D>

Being a himachali and some body , who cares for nature , Thanks top singh ji for starting a thread on a subject close to my heart .

Already we have seen effect of tourists in and around shimla / manali , where with easy money coming via tourists , things have become more or less same as metro;s and nature has gone for a complete toss in those areas . upper areas ( Lahaul spiti / kinnaur ) are still virgin and should be protected as tourists has started to visit these places now .

i seriously thank the govt of HP for creating a rule where in outsiders cannot purchase land there . this has prevented our green forests some how and our locals growing awareness about nature has only increased the forest lands.

we are fast turning our green lands to urban jungles. humans has long lived in harmony with nature and they still live the same way in few places but unfortunately with urbanization and comfort being out top most priorities, we are getting more and more away from nature.

i often see people taking their gas guzzling machines to forest in the name of off-Roading and spoiling the forests there and proudly displaying those photos on various forums. I feel like :gib::gib: them . i am not against urban way of life, it's only human to look for more in our lives but we often forget from where we have come from .

as a travelers it's our utmost responsibility to keep the place, we visit to see the mother natures beauty , neat and clean . it's all about giving back to the nature . let us pledge to take all the waste that we create in our journeys back to where we started ...

Hello Mudgilsushil... Khamzang ena lay.. Juley...
Yes glad to know that you are also Himachali from Hamirpur. I appreciate the spirit shown by you regarding environment and forest. Yes, we should take the nonbiogradible waste back to the recycling center instead of dumping in the wrong place.. Shall meet sometime in H.P. Juley..

Top Singh Bodh

atleast we can bring plastic things back.i always bring with me water filter so i don't need to buy those bottle water.for sure we can throw biodegradable waste, would be nice if we can cover it with soil.
Hello samurai.. Khamzang ena lay.. Juley..
Yes we should bring back the plastics and deposit in the recycling center.. I agree fully... Juley..

Top Singh Bodh

Shivanshu

RX Rider

Top Singh Bodh ...Khamzang ena Lay.... Juley
thanks for all the valuable inputs and for starting this thread as well. As we are tourers, we go to different places and cherish it, so there is also some responsibility of us that we dont pollute the place with any of our belongings...as at times, the damage done is irreversible...and yes we all are very much aware of. So this thread is a great educating thread which should be read by anyone going to Himalayas or even to other places.... thanks to all for the valuable inputs...

Top Singh Bodh ...Khamzang ena Lay.... Juley
thanks for all the valuable inputs and for starting this thread as well. As we are tourers, we go to different places and cherish it, so there is also some responsibility of us that we dont pollute the place with any of our belongings...as at times, the damage done is irreversible...and yes we all are very much aware of. So this thread is a great educating thread which should be read by anyone going to Himalayas or even to other places.... thanks to all for the valuable inputs...
Hello..Shivanshu..Khamzang ena lay.. Juley...
A lot of thanks for liking this thread. Shall come with some other do's and dont's soon but bit busy in Dussehra (International Folk Dance Festival) Kullu upto 23rd. Some friends of mine from Lahaul and Spiti are here to enjoy the last event of the year and after attending this, they will return home for spending long winter season there. Thanks again... Juley..

Top Singh Bodh

Hello..Khamzang ena Lay... Juley...

Do's....Clean plastics, garbage etc. while on a Pass by involving the locals living there. (Jalori Pass after cleaning, hearing their grievances..
Juley.

Top Singh Bodh

Attachments

Last edited:

Hello..Khamzang ena lay.. Juley...
Do's....Choose the plastics etc. while on Passes and carry in Garbage bag to dump in a dumping place earmarked or hand it over to the recycling center... ( In Kunzom Pass collecting plastics)

Juley..
Top Singh Bodh

Attachments