Do's & Dont's in Himalayas while traveling, trekking, driving, riding and camping etc

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: Do's & Dont's in Himalayas while traveling, trekking, driving, riding and camping

This IS an education! :cool:
I'm only glad we never did any of the 'forbidden' activities!
And, Sushil, I have never taken my 4X4 off the so-called roads on any of our trips ever! :-

sanjoy50

Re: Do's & Dont's in Himalayas while traveling, trekking, driving, riding and camping

invaluable information. only wish that this thread is a must read for all bcmtians.

samurai

why not this thread make sticky?

kamikaze

111 Horses in the Stable

Great Effort and results Top Singh Bodh. No one can care for a place more than the people who live there. However other's can atleast respect it. While tourism is a boon for local economy, its a bane for environment. However we can try and reduce the damage by following the tips provided here.

We need to educate general public that roads, jungles and rivers are not a garbage bin. Within delhi I have pointed this out to two people in past two days. One was spitting on the road and one threw out a plastic bottle. I told them 'Sir, kyun ganda kar rahe ho'. They looked a little embarrassed and hopefully will change their habits.

kamikaze

111 Horses in the Stable

One request to all, don't honk like mad while in hills. People are generally good and allow you to overtake, if and when there is enough space!
What about in blind curves? I give give two short beeps with my horn to warn any incoming traffic. I do agree for the constant honking. Its disturbing and rude. If you are stuck behind a vehicle and not finding enough space to overtake, please be patient. Please do not force the vehicle to do something they do not want to just to let you go. They (trucks, buses) need more space to let you pass. so please be patient and wait for the space. They also want you to go ahead as soon as possible.

Top Singhji, thank you for starting this thread.

My 2 cents.......
1. Its better to avoid taking plastic bags anytime and every time we buy something. If we have lesser/no plastic bags we will pollute lesser, even if we dispose them at the designated places.

2. We saw a few people peeing out in the open at Durbuk checkpost even though there were toilets installed a few meters from there. When we pointed this to them, they casually said sorry and moved on. I agree that in Ladakh at many places we don't really have any option, but when there is one whats the harm in using it.

a Special requests to Off-roaders or those with 4 X 4 SUV's ..

Pls keep your self on road Only as for as possible ...don;t let your SUV's go off road ..Even if u see already created tracks there ..
Hello MudgilSushil...Khamzang ena lay.. Juley...
Yes sir..I like your post its like slogans. Here are some by me.. " Drive on Road, Say, No to Shortcuts". "Keep Driving on Road, not on temporary tracks" " Go On not Off (Road)" " While Driving in More Plain follow the road, not the ground, Go Silently Without any Sound, Love Wife and Save Wild Life" Juley..
Sir, if you could make some more interesting slogans on my postings in the thread, pl. do post. Juley..

Top Singh Bodh

Great initiative Top Singh-ji.
Hello..adv.sunny..Khamzang ena lay.. Juley..

Thanks a lot for your precious post.. How do you like the thread please offer comments and also if there is some scope of improvement pl. do tell..Its our thread.. Juley..

Top Singh Bodh

nice lessons learnt...waiting to learn more from here
Hello Shivanshu.. Khamzang ena lay.. Juley..
Glad to know that the thread is working. It is all due to your blessings.. Juley..

Top Singh Bodh

This IS an education! :cool:
I'm only glad we never did any of the 'forbidden' activities!
And, Sushil, I have never taken my 4X4 off the so-called roads on any of our trips ever! :-
Hello anupmathur ji..Khamzang ena lay.. Juley..
Thanks a lot sir.. The others should take it as a good lesson. Juley...

Top Singh Bodh

invaluable information. only wish that this thread is a must read for all bcmtians.
Hello sanjoy..Khamzang ena lay.. Juley..
Thanks a ton. I express my profound gratitude for your having cared to send me the beautiful post. I do hope that all the BCMTians will read it and convey their comments. Thanks again.. Juley..

Top Singh Bodh

Last edited by a moderator:

Great Effort and results Top Singh Bodh. No one can care for a place more than the people who live there. However other's can atleast respect it. While tourism is a boon for local economy, its a bane for environment. However we can try and reduce the damage by following the tips provided here.

We need to educate general public that roads, jungles and rivers are not a garbage bin. Within delhi I have pointed this out to two people in past two days. One was spitting on the road and one threw out a plastic bottle. I told them 'Sir, kyun ganda kar rahe ho'. They looked a little embarrassed and hopefully will change their habits.
Hello kamikaze..Khamzang ena lay.. Juley..
I am thankful for boosting my morale by posting such a nice post and without such encouragement I could have not been able to do it. Thanks, thanks again for inspiring me a lot.. Juley..

Top Singh Bodh

Top Singhji, thank you for starting this thread.

My 2 cents.......
1. Its better to avoid taking plastic bags anytime and every time we buy something. If we have lesser/no plastic bags we will pollute lesser, even if we dispose them at the designated places.

2. We saw a few people peeing out in the open at Durbuk checkpost even though there were toilets installed a few meters from there. When we pointed this to them, they casually said sorry and moved on. I agree that in Ladakh at many places we don't really have any option, but when there is one whats the harm in using it.
Hello resatlantis..Khamzang ena lay.. Juley..
Thanks a lot. Your suggestions regarding pollution is praiseworthy , yes we should dump the plastics in the dumping place and again we should use the Toilets wherever it is available. Thanks again sir.. Juley..

Top Singh Bodh