Dreams Do Come True (Triumph Tiger 800 XR Review)

TBTSRIDER

Hey All

Whats the best and productive way to handle time in lock down period ??? Well its to write review and share experiences ...... So here i am after a looongg breakkk....

Lots of changes happened in my life in the year 2016 . Due to job change, i had to take break from riding . Had to undergo some personal issues as well ....
Because of all these happenings one fine day i thought of letting go of my loved R.E Thunderbird 350 CC.

https://www.bcmtouring.com/forums/threads/taming-the-raging-bull-r-e-thunderbird-350-cc-review.58501

This decision was hard for me as i loved the bike but since i wasn't riding her ,it wasn't fair from me to let the bike rot. Fortunately during this time a close friend of mine was looking out for a pre owned R.E Thunderbird and so he enquired with me . On hearing his proposal i instantly agreed as the bike was going to a known friend rather than to an unknown household. The big day came and the bike went to its right full owner .

LAST PIC OF MY R.E :)

RE1.jpg

GOOD BYE OLD FRIEND :)

RE2.jpg

However somewhere in my mind i never lost the urge ride bikes .I always used to pass time on OLX searching for bikes. One fine day i was just browsing through OLX and i came across this ad for a pre owned TRIUMPH TIGER 800 XR .Bike was just 3800 Km on the odo and it was a NOV 2015 make . The seller was staying close to my house so i thought why not just go and check out the bike . So one sunday morning i called up the seller and fixed date and time for our meeting .In my mind i somehow knew that i would buy this bike so i had carried along my checkbook without tell my wife :grin:. On the said date and time , me and my better half we both went to his home and here stood my would be :)

FIRST LOOK OF THE BIKE , dosent she look amazing ...

IMG_0121.JPG

I can never forget this day .

The owner came down ,we chatted for sometime and he offered me a test ride , to which i instantly agreed . I informed the seller that i had no experience of riding super bikes and that i knew how to ride a R.E TBTS , but he agreed . I sat on the bike , it was a bit tall for me but still went ahead with the test ride. On finishing the test ride i was completely sold off and was ready to pay token amount.The seller didn't expect the deal to close so quickly and he initially thought i wasn't sure of what i was doing . But i assured him that i was 100% sure of what i am doing (After i took the test ride ) . While all this talk was happening my wife was dumbstruck and she too wasn't expecting i would carry along my check book and would give the seller a token amount :twisted:.

Now before you all start assuming that i might be some rich guy with loads of money ,but sorry to disappoint you all. I am NOT a rich person at all.
This bike's purchase didn't happen that smooth. I took a personal loan , had to liquidate investments to pay for the bike . Especially when EMI starts coming then it actually starts pinching
and one realizes the sacrifices made. Also before meeting the seller , i had checked regarding the history of bike (For accidents ) with the showroom and it was a clean bike . I had to take time from seller for arranging all finances and the whole time ie from payment to taking the delivery of bike took almost 1 month .

Anyhow i have no regrets on buying the bike as my love for this bike is unconditional . People say i am a big fool , i could have purchased a good car instead of a bike . But hell yes i say people WONT UNDERSTAND ](*,)

The reasons i opted for a pre owned bike were as follows

a. I couldn't afford a brand new bike from showroom .
b. This bike was just 1 yrs old and 3800 KM on odometer when i purchased it in 2016 , so in a way it was brand new .
c. Seller sold it to me for a extremely good price , he did stood by his commitment in spite of he getting good offers after we sealed the deal .
d. My dream of owning a super bike was getting fulfilled at a less (NOT exactly , but as compared to showroom price ) price .

I again had this dilemma which i had to go through before taking this big step .

Mind :-

a. I AM GETTING OLD and WONT TURN YOUNG AGAIN . YES IT IS SELFISH .....

Brains :--

a. I had to liquidate our savings , was it a wise decision .
b. My car is 10 yrs old . We could have bought a new car .
c. I wont be using this as a daily bike , so do i need it .
d. Family wasn't ready to let me purchase this bike. I did convince my folks at home eventually :)

In the end as expected my mind won and ignored everything and went ahead with deal .

By now i have ridden the bike for almost 7k Kms (Since 2016) and following are my observations

What i liked :-

a. Extremely stable bike on highways .
b. Its definitely a highway tourrer
c. Power delivery is extremely smooth .
e. Sudden increase in throttle gives instant surge in power .
f. Good & relaxed riding stance , doesn't feel stressful on longer rides.
g. Massive 20 Ltrs Tank for a longer range .
h. Deti kitna hai :) Never bothered ...
i. Built quality is superb and very impressive .
j. Due to tall gearing ratios , bike sails smoothly even in 6th Gear at 35-40 Km/Hr .

What i didn't like :-

a. Bike feels extremely heavy at 250+ Kg .
b. Bike is TOP Heavy ,thus have to be very careful for sharp u-turns .
c. Since its a sports bike , it heats up in bumper to bumper traffic .
d. Not meant for day to day city rides , unless you are prepared to roast your legs like chicken tandoor :)
f. Maintenance costs are not like our day to day bikes .
g. Cost of spare parts and tyres are on higher side .

ONE DAY I TOO WILL OWN A SUPER BIKE ....

13962737_10155099224687678_6562652635171275519_n.jpg

WHO SAYS DREAMS DON'T TURN INTO REALITY ......

24131887_10156830249447678_5899276050280521411_o.jpg

Some Random Pics :-

17862537_10156007915037678_8996971902380298552_n.jpg

IMG_20180415_064028.jpg

IMG_20180330_062054.jpg

IMG_20180415_070304_01.jpg

Last edited:

smoothwanderer

iam in the same situation like you TBTSrider. mad in love with Triumph Tiger, but uncertain about getting one due to many of the same issues that you had. is the saddle height and the weight a problem when in traffic ?

Gaurav Chopra

zestbiker-if there is a SPIRIT,I ride it
@TBTSRIDER mucho congo's mate.
The XRX800 is an amazing missile.
@smoothwanderer - Doc go for the Tiger eyes closed- you will love it.A vertically challanged friend (5'3")had one for 4years so do not worry about that angle too.N now with the new Tiger900 around the corner,used Tiger will be even more of a bargain

Sent from my POCO F1 using Tapatalk

TBTSRIDER

iam in the same situation like you TBTSrider. mad in love with Triumph Tiger, but uncertain about getting one due to many of the same issues that you had. is the saddle height and the weight a problem when in traffic ?
Hello Smoothwanderer

I am 5.4 in height with an inseam length of 30 inches . I have lowered the bike using lowering links available in market . After this the bike is a charm to use , just remember that in bumper to bumper traffic bike will heat up like hell and you can't ride it like an activa ie Left/Right/Centre cause of its weight ...
What is your height if i may ask ? May be i can help you in someway in reaching a decision :)

Last edited:

TBTSRIDER

@TBTSRIDER mucho congo's mate.
The XRX800 is an amazing missile.
@smoothwanderer - Doc go for the Tiger eyes closed- you will love it.A vertically challanged friend (5'3")had one for 4years so do not worry about that angle too.N now with the new Tiger900 around the corner,used Tiger will be even more of a bargain

Sent from my POCO F1 using Tapatalk

I am 5.4 with 30 inch inseam :) And i ride it comfortably after using the lowering links :)

Mandar_C500

Hello Smoothwanderer

I am 5.4 in height with an inseam length of 30 inches . I have lowered the bike using lowering links available in market . After this the bike is a charm to use , just remember that in bumper to bumper traffic bike will heat up like hell and you can't ride it like an activa ie Left/Right/Centre cause of its weight ...
What is your height if i may ask ? May be i can help you in someway in reaching a decision :)
Congrats TBTSRIDER, Wish you many happy and safe miles on the bike.
Can you please help me with the source of lowering kit.

Thanks
Mandar