Drive to North Sikkim to relive the golden pages of my diary

Point Zero

Day 5 continued ...

Back to the hotel everyone was starving. After a delayed lunch lazy peoples went back to the bed. We young ones cannot waste sleeping and took our car to waddle around the city. A sign board pointed towards the way to Katao. We kept the Katao plan for next morning. There was a monastery but it was already closed. It opens only twice a day during the prayers. A number of tourist were seen near the river bridge. So another day ended smoothly.

DSCN2972.JPG

DSCN2980.JPG

DSCN2981.JPG

DSCN2988.JPG

DSCN2994.JPG

DSCN2997.JPG

DSCN3002.JPG

Returning from Yumthang - 2013

Point Zero

Day 6 (Lachung -> Katao -> Gangtok):

Early morning I knocked the elder’s room. But apart from my aunt, no one was keen to go to Katao. Katao is few KM uphill from Lachung but still during winters the roads are full of snow and its heard to reach the check post. To our despair even on the way to Katao there was no sign of snow. But traveling itself it was delight there. The whole city could be seen down and the snow clad mountains seen to go down and greed good morning. At the check point a tense situation was already prevailing. A local driver took a tourist loaded sumo towards the border without stopping at the check post. After certain distance they were caught and the vehicle was held in custody. Mean time all other tourist were denied from moving beyond that point. Because of the stupidity of the driver we could not make it to the restricted area.

TKD_0046.JPG

TKD_0047.JPG

TKD_0053.JPG

TKD_0066.JPG

TKD_0072.JPG

TKD_0088.JPG

TKD_0100.JPG
Katao till we reach

While going I restrained myself from taking snaps to save time. But unluckily while returning it starting pouring down. All the mountain got covered with dark clouds and the city was no more visible. I cannot share much pictures but the one captured in my eyes will always ponder over my thoughts.

TKD_0115.JPG

TKD_0129.JPG

TKD_0137.JPG

TKD_0143.JPG

TKD_0148.JPG

Returning from katao

To be continued ...

Point Zero

Day 6 continued ...

Back to the pavilion at the hotel where we had breakfast and dumb the luggage to start for Gangtok. In the past we had not been to Katao. Rather we had done the Lachung side first and then gone to Lachen. From Lachung to Dikchu it was a smooth drive and there took the bypass thinking that we would save on time. 8 kilometers ahead of Gangtok there was another landslide. Only one small crane was deployed to clear the road. Measuring the inefficiency of the machine another crane was called for help and only then the road was cleared by 4:00 PM where we could have reach Gangtok by 1:30 PM. By then everyone was starving and we got out of the hotel and went to MG marg. We did some shopping and went to the much waited quality dinner.

TKD_0156.JPG

Bye bye Lachung
TKD_0158.JPG
TKD_0162.JPG

TKD_0163.JPG

TKD_0185.JPG

TKD_0186.JPG

TKD_0209.JPG

TKD_0211.JPG

index_1.JPG

index+7.JPG
Some Random Picture between Lachung to Dikchu

In the bike trip from Gurudongmar we came down to Mangan and stayed there for the day. From Mangan the next morning we travelled to Gangtok. There was a land slide then also but it was a small one and bikes were made to pass by.

DSCN2895.JPG

DSC_0063.JPG

DSC_0065.JPG

DSC_0068.JPG

DSC_0078.JPG

DSC_0098.JPG

DSCN3221.JPG

DSC_0629.JPG

2013 - View of Kangchenjunga from Singhik
DSC_0633.JPG

DSCN3370.JPG

DSCN3384.JPG

DSC_0640.JPG

DSCN3388.JPG

DSCN3392.JPG

2013 - returning from Lachen to Gangtok

To be continued ...

Point Zero

Day 7 (Gangtok -> Siliguri -> Kolkata):

We started late from Gnagtok as I knew that It will be long drive to Kolkata. On the way we stopped at Bagdogra to capture some quick snaps. With normal halts for tea and food, we reached Kolkata at 3:30 AM on the next day after 17 hours of drive.

TKD_0222.JPG

Teesta

TKD_0231.JPG

TKD_0235.JPG

Uncle and Aunt

TKD_0238.JPG

My Mom

In comparison to the present trip, the bike trip was much more exciting and adventurous. Though the comfort level was more in the car but I think in spite of odds we faced, the bike trip was much more rejuvenating. The places were far more beautiful. The golden peaks in the mist of the rainbow delighted us after a long tiring day of punctures while on the way to Gurudangmor. At each and every check point we were greeted and appreciated for the attempt we had made. In those days, very few people had been riding on the bike to north Sikkim. This time as the number of tourists travelling in their own car has increased, the importance has been lost.

2016_0423_153911_001.JPG

Botol Bari Road

IMG_20160421_142226.JPG

Thanks You!

-- PointZero

Last edited:

Point Zero

SuperLike for your effort, i am completely hooked , too much snow with fantastic scenery ,now I won't think twice and add this place in my wish list.
Thanks NeerajVayu,

Sikkim has different beauty in different season over the year and my favorite place to spend week long holidays. Now the travelogue has been completed.

I don't know whether you have already gone through my other Sikkim travelogue or not. I am sharing the link here for your reference -

http://www.bcmtouring.com/forums/threads/long-winding-road-to-serenity-the-game-of-cloud-and-sunlight.62535/
http://www.bcmtouring.com/forums/threads/sunrise-to-sunset-in-the-lap-of-himalayas-old-silk-route-and-gnathang.66350/
http://www.bcmtouring.com/forums/threads/extended-weekend-to-the-birthplace-of-sikkim.62328/

Regards -
-- PointZero