DSLR suggestion

jjamwal

I posted same post in another sub-forum, then found this one. I hope it's not against the rules.

I am retiring my old faithful Canon 1100D and looking for an upgrade. My budget is around 85K and I want a lens like 18-105, 18-135 or similar. After days of search, I've shortlisted the following :

Nikon D5500 DX
Nikon D7000
Nikon D7100
Canon EOS 70D
Canon EOS 700D
Canon EOS 750D

It will be nice if it was possible to squeeze in another small fixed focus lens or maybe something relate to astro-photography in this budget. If something is really good, then I can consider adding a few thousand more to the budget. I know it looks bleak, but your suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Is there some model or body-lens combination I should consider ? No brand preference, but am not a big fan of Sony, Panasonic etc. I'd rather have better camera specifications rather than frivolous features like WiFi, touch screen, GPS tagging etc.

hensil

Guru
There are couple of things I'd suggest.
If you are using Canon DSLR and have more than one lens, better stick with Canon.
Secondly, don't under estimate Sony and Panasonic mirrorless cameras. They have more useful features for photography than any DSLR's. I say this after using SLR's for more than 40 years.
Presently as Nikon user and also using Panasonic (I'm thinking of buying Sony a6000) I will recommend D7100 with 18-135mm and Tokina 11-18 f/2.8. You can get Tokina used at good price.
You mention astro-photography, are you interested in deep sky or wide field astro photography?
Henry
PS : For Canon cameras, some one using Canon may help.

jjamwal

There are couple of things I'd suggest.
If you are using Canon DSLR and have more than one lens, better stick with Canon.
Secondly, don't under estimate Sony and Panasonic mirrorless cameras. They have more useful features for photography than any DSLR's. I say this after using SLR's for more than 40 years.
Presently as Nikon user and also using Panasonic (I'm thinking of buying Sony a6000) I will recommend D7100 with 18-135mm and Tokina 11-18 f/2.8. You can get Tokina used at good price.
You mention astro-photography, are you interested in deep sky or wide field astro photography?
Henry
PS : For Canon cameras, some one using Canon may help.
Thanks for suggestion. My problem with mirrorless camera is the low battery life. Most of my travel destinations don't have reliable power supply, so long battery life becomes important. Also, the price :( . I am not buying Panasonic because of high prices and less availability of accessories and spares compared to Nikon and Canon.
Your point about sticking to Canon is right, but I only have basic kit lenses 18-55 and 55-250 and am thinking of selling them off. I am considering Nikon, because in sub 1 lakh budget, there are a lot more Nikon options than Canon. Latter has better options if the price is more than 1 lakh according to what Ifound.

To be honest, I got interested in to asto-photography only 6-7 months back during my Lahaul Spiti visit. Most of the time living in cities, there is hardly any thing that once can do in this field. I'd like to take pictures of planets whenever possible as well as wide field, but I suppose buying such lenses will be out of my budget.

jjamwal

I am in New Delhi. Is this jjmehta a reliable source considering the pathetic state of courier services ?

BHOOTER RAJA

Chalo .......let's go.
Jjmehta is a renowned site for used items and photographic accessories. Though new items are very pricy here. For the time being use d7100 and 18-140 mm. And search jjmehta ..even olx daily for tokina.