Engine Oil Burning

Gladator

Zeal to Conquer
Hi to everybody

just i want to know what are the reasons of engine oil getting low after 1000 kms in my bike, i am not getting smoke from bike's silencer i have changed the valve oil seals and valves also, even after this my bike engine oil is getting near about 100 ml less after every 800 to 1000 kms, pls help me my bike is Honda Unicorn driven 38000 kms.:eek:

TorqueAddict

The Traveller
38,000 km is a good enough a mileage on a motorcycle engine to show these symptoms. Solution to this would be cylinder-piston kit change, as far as I know. Since your engine has already done 38k, the engine oil has started getting into the cylinder through very fine clearance between cylinder and piston that has increased over a period of time and it is getting burnt and sent into air through exhaust, even though white/blue smoke may be too less to get noticed at the moment.

Gladator

Zeal to Conquer
38,000 km is a good enough a mileage on a motorcycle engine to show these symptoms. Solution to this would be cylinder-piston kit change, as far as I know. Since your engine has already done 38k, the engine oil has started getting into the cylinder through very fine clearance between cylinder and piston that has increased over a period of time and it is getting burnt and sent into air through exhaust, even though white/blue smoke may be too less to get noticed at the moment.
Thank's for the reply i was also thinking that it might be the problems of piston rings, but i have seen every aspect of the vehicle it is not showing a single symptoms like smoke in exhaust or compression loss etc - can you pls be more specific regarding my problem because after using mobil no 1 10w40 fully synt engine oil the problem that we are thinking should not come.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Cylinder-piston kits have their life, while good maintenance and engine oil help increase it, if you are ripping the bike on a regular basis, it will increase wear and tear. In all likelihood your bike will require a piston kit soon, for the time being you can try and switch to 15/20w 50 engine oils and see whether or not that makes a difference.

Gladator

Zeal to Conquer
i have used motul 300v 15w50 also, but the problem is their, actually i want to know as you know Honda unicorn is having the oil dip stick from the side of the chamber, it means the oil dip stick is not straight so it is mentioned in the service book that engine oil should be in between upper and lower mark of the dip stick, so if i am looking according to said formula no doubt engine oil is getting low but very little.

so please guide me i should go for new cylinder and piston or i should wait for some more thousand kms.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
If there is no performance drop, harshness in engine or smoke, then you can keep running the bike without piston change. Though please keep in mind that you will likely have to do it eventually.

vipu

Please also mentioned about your driving habit... If you are driving fast and long in this heat. I think getting some oil burning is not a big issue after 1000 odd kms.
Every one supposed to add some top-up after every 1000-1500km done and oil change at 2500kms.

Don't worry keep riding... Don't change the Piston till you actually feels it needs to be changed.

Just try to use some thick oil in between.

Gladator

Zeal to Conquer
Get engine oil pump checked. It may be at fault.
Thanks all for really supporting me, now presently i have switch on to mobil super 1000 20w50 let us see how the vehicle will perform, as i am a marketing personal i have to travel every day on an average of 85 to 90 kms every day, but i never think that Honda vehicle are reporting such problems so early, because before this vehicle i was using HH splendor which i have used up to ninety thousand kms and given to my cousin and my cousin used that vehicle for another thirty thousand kms then we have changed its bore piston kit. Thanks you all once again for your guidance and please let me know in what manner the engine oil pump is concerned in engine oil getting low in the engine chamber.