Error on HDD

imjoshee

Guru
Hi,

I am getting an error on my laptop just after the startup screen. It says "DriveLock HDD Bay password" and a small graphic image of a key next to it. I dont know what to do because I contacted the HP guys, but they say you need to go to Samsung guys since the HDD is of Samsung and the Samsung guys have never heard of this error.

I want to somehow retrieve my data & I can then buy a fresh HDD.

Please help

Admin01

Administrator
Did you use any encryption software? Also, go into the BIOS and disable password protection.

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vishal, a little more history is needed before any guesses can be made.
This could not have happened on its own; some earlier event has made this happen.

imjoshee

Guru
Thanks for the instance response.

@YS : I dont use any kind of encryption software & nor did I enable any Administrator password or any such thing. There is no password for my windows log in also.

@AM : I was using the laptop & it was ON & I use it everyday for long hours, chatting,surfing, music etc etc. This happened on sat evening, I was listening to music & was expecting my friend with his laptop since his HDD was not working, so I shut down my laptop, removed the HDD & when we opened his laptop HDD, it was SATA whereas I was using an IDE one. So I simply put back my HDD in the slot & started the laptop. This is when I got this error.

I am very sad :(

imjoshee

Guru
A little update.

I connected my HDD using an eternal casing to another machine using windows 7. Upon connecting, it did detect as a USB mass storage device but upon clicking it was giving some kind of an error(dont remember) but something related to Master Boot record.

I am fearing a HDD crash here. How can I retrieve my data if this is the scenario? Should I consult any professionals like Stellar?

Vishal

MudgilSushil

DC Junkie ....
A little update.

I connected my HDD using an eternal casing to another machine using windows 7. Upon connecting, it did detect as a USB mass storage device but upon clicking it was giving some kind of an error(dont remember) but something related to Master Boot record.

I am fearing a HDD crash here. How can I retrieve my data if this is the scenario? Should I consult any professionals like Stellar?

Vishal
incase your MBR is corrupt nothing to worry about ..

Boot your laptop with a bootable CD/ floopy and go into Dos prompt . typre

fdisk /mbr

this will rebuild the MBR . Most probably your first few disk blocks are corrupted hence this drive lock thing ..

also make sure that the drive is using same IDE which it was using previously . if possible remove all the external devices like CD-ROm / USb and try booting up again . also restore your BIOS to factory settings ..

Last edited: