Essentials for a Motorcycle Ride to Ladakh

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
You will either get used to that cold wet feeling or buy something else :D. On a serious note, carry a few newspaper or get it from your hotel, they help dry off some of the moisture from inside the shoe.

Of course if you can afford to, get some thing like Forclaz 500, it is much more water resistant and offers decent amount of protection. There are also gaiters/shoe covers available, which can somewhat increase the water resistance of the shoes.

navneet mishra

is it necessary to ride along with knee and elbow guard.i know it protect in various ways,but u din't insist on that,so i am asking....?

gopalji mishra

Thanks for the info... i was worried about the woodland shoes and the discomfort when they will be wet... Now ur post seems assuring that i will be able to do it in shoes itself....
one idea to protect the shoes from getting wet is to tie them with large plastic sacks while crossing river and nallahs. so one more essentials to be added to the list is few large plastic sacks.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
is it necessary to ride along with knee and elbow guard.i know it protect in various ways,but u din't insist on that,so i am asking....?
Necessary? No.

Having said that, my recommendation would be to buy riding jacket and pant.

one idea to protect the shoes from getting wet is to tie them with large plastic sacks while crossing river and nallahs. so one more essentials to be added to the list is few large plastic sacks.
Gators will work better, though only to a certain point.

vrigu

Thanks for the info... i was worried about the woodland shoes and the discomfort when they will be wet... Now ur post seems assuring that i will be able to do it in shoes itself....
You will either get used to that cold wet feeling or buy something else :D. On a serious note, carry a few newspaper or get it from your hotel, they help dry off some of the moisture from inside the shoe.

Of course if you can afford to, get some thing like Forclaz 500, it is much more water resistant and offers decent amount of protection. There are also gaiters/shoe covers available, which can somewhat increase the water resistance of the shoes.

As we didn't take waterproof socks and shoes, we used cheap jugaad :D
We 'wore' garbage bags over our socks and put on the good old Woodlands to save our feet when the water seeps in the shoes. Furthermore unknowingly, the slush we encountered on route covered our shoes and slowly dried up forming a hard layer outside the shoes, effectively making it surprisingly waterproof and protected us from the chill as well. :)
It's a whole different story that it was a major chose to wash those Woodlands after returning home :)

supriyfale

RiderByChance
Today wore Quechua rain jacket and pant over my Cramster riding suit to office in the Mumbai rains. Very little water drops went in though there was a heavy downpour. Looks like these are better than the complete plastic ones as these also allow some body heat to escape.

Will update after a few more downpours.:)

P.S. - Its raining like July in June in Mumbai. Awesome!

Pavan Matai

This looks like an authentic compiliation or I must say a bible for first timers like me. I am planning Ladakh this year in May. Will bother you for assistance. Thanks