Everest Base Camp Trek Sept-Oct 2019

Hiregoudar

26th Sept 2019
Day-4 of trek
Phakding (2642 MSL) to Namche Bazaar (3457 MSL)
Total Trek today 14 KMS.

From today onwards we would trek distance which were lesser in distance than the first 3 days. Our sherpa Shreen asked us to be ready at 8 AM. I had Oats with honey and black coffee. I changed my BF to pure veg due to Navratri.

We now trekked along the left bank of Dhudh Kosi river and it was a lovely trek with water falls, trees and villages. When the sun came out briefly we could see peak Thamserku (6608 M) and Kusum Kanguru (6069 M). It was up hill climb and after 2 to 3 hours of trek we reached Monjo village. Here Shreen had to pay for the Sagarmatha National Park Entrance fee of NR 2000 (paid towards Khumbu Pasang Lhamu Rural Municipality) and National Park Entrance Permit of NR 1500. We took some photographs.

Sagarmatha National Pass

Pass.jpg

Views from Phakding to Monjo.

IMG_1145.jpg

IMG_1146.jpg

Some new hotels /resorts are being built ....

IMG_1147.jpg

Terrain

IMG_1148.jpg

Tourist check point.

IMG_1149.jpg

Water falls

IMG_1153.jpg

Peak Thamserku

IMG_1154.jpg

DSC01918.jpg

With a rainbow

IMG_1158.jpg

What to say.....

IMG_1161.jpg

Another falls

IMG_1165.jpg

Crossing Dhudh Kosi again on to its right bank.

IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_1169.jpg

Child with mobile...

IMG_1173.jpg

Pony

IMG_1174.jpg

Organic fruits and vegetables

IMG_1175.jpg

Stupa

DSC01920.jpg

Other river crossings.

IMG_1179.jpg

Reached Monjo

IMG_1181.jpg

Sagarmatha National Park Gate

DSC01928.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

IMG_1183.jpg

Sherpa Shreen stopped at Jorsalle for lunch as that would the last Tea house until Namche Bazaar.
He told that it would be good climb after we cross Dhudh Kosi twice.

IMG_1187.jpg

IMG_1185.jpg

Lunch @ Jorsalle

IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg

After Lunch the climb and then Namche Bazaar. Some Photos to capture the beauty.

IMG_1196.jpg

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

Old bridge..

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

New bridge

IMG_1206.jpg

As we got near Namche Bazaar, I started getting breathlessness and suddenly I could hardly climb. Kamal stayed back with me as we were just less than a kilometer from the hotel at Namche Bazaar. We walked very slowly and could reach the hotel around 5 PM. Ram took our oxygen saturation levels and mine was at 81% and rest were above 87%. That night I started Diamox and gave it to Supriya and Kanak. Kamal was fit and did not need it.

I was a little concerned and thought if i had difficulty I would take a day for acclimatization and let others to proceed. I prayed and hoped i would be fine by morning.
We were very tired and had dinner by 7:30PM and retired by 8:30PM. It was a cold night.

IMG_1210.jpg

Namche Bazaar is a very beautiful sherpa town.

IMG_1211.jpg

IMG_1212.jpg

IMG_1236.jpg

Our hotel Hill Ton.

IMG_1235.jpg

Attachments

Hiregoudar

Great Moves !
Great Places !

How you were checkking Oxygen Levels ?
Which device ?
Accuracy ?
Dear Satinder
Yes the equipment is "Pulse Oximeter Blood Oxygen Saturation Monitor".
The accuracy depends on the equipment maker. Omron make is good. Cost is Rs. 1345.00 on Amazon.in

Thumb Rule is:
Anything between 92% and 88%, is still considered safe and average for someone with moderate to severe COPD. Below 88% becomes dangerous, and when it dips to 84% or below, it's time to go to the hospital. Around 80% and lower is dangerous for your vital organs, so you should be treated right away.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Hiregoudar

27th Sept 2019
Day-5 of trek
Namche Bazaar (3457 MSL) to Deboche (3734 MSL)
Total Trek today 15.8 KMS.

Had a good sleep last night as the climb and altitude had its effect. One thing I have forgotten to mention is that we were carrying our sleeping bags as we were told the Tea houses are normally full and the quality of sheets and quilts are not clean so carry your own bag. But due to delayed monsoon and flights not reaching Lukla the rush was less and we were able to get clean rooms and sheets. Our sleeping bags remained in the duffel bags. Only Supriya used her sleeping bag on all days.

We had breakfast and took out dose of Diamox (125 Mg). Ram checked my oxygen saturation level and it showed 87%. I was very happy with that. Rest and Diamox was helping. I decided that I will continue the trek with others and not take the customary acclimatization rest day at Namche Bazaar.

Kanak's knee was bad and he was having a lot of problems while climbing down. He was good while climbing upwards. He decided he should buy another trek pole (we were using just one).

I also decided that from now on while we climb I would take 40 odd steps and then take rest. This way I would space my climb. Supriya and me were last while climbing upwards and Kanak last while going down. Kamal was always leading.

Sherpa Shreen briefed us of the trek today, we would climb and then climb down to Phungi Thenga (3316 MSL) have lunch there and then climb to Tengboche (3865 MSL) and visit the monastery there and then climb down again to Deboche (3734 MSL) for night stay.

It was cold and cloudy as we left our hotel. I started slowly and I was feeling fine unlike yesterday evening. I kept a slow steady pace when we were in flat terrain and followed the 40 step rule when climb came.

IMG_1240.jpg

Information of our position.

IMG_1241.jpg

We saw this very beautiful child who wished us Namasthe at we headed out of Namche Bazaar. She received many a chocolates.

IMG_1242.jpg

We walked along the left bank of river Dhudh Kosi. Normally when there are clear skies, one get's to see the best views of all major peaks. Shreen said this is the best part of entire EBC route.

But due to our bad luck we got only to see clouds.

IMG_1243.jpg

Brief sunshine...

IMG_1244.jpg

what we saw!!!

IMG_1245.jpg

We could see reduction of tall tress.......

IMG_1246.jpg

IMG_1247.jpg

IMG_1248.jpg

still beautiful....

IMG_1249.jpg

Some peak I could see...

IMG_1250.jpg

Tea houses...

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

Rest break enroute

IMG_1256.jpg

IMG_1257.jpg

Strange hanging on trees

IMG_1258.jpg

At Khumjung, Gokyo Trek separates from here. We could see many trekkers on this trail.

IMG_1259.jpg

KIng of the sky...

IMG_1261.jpg

IMG_1262.jpg

Dhudh Kosi still following us....

IMG_1263.jpg

Lunch at Phungi Thenga

DSC01954.jpg

River crossing again and then a check point and then a tough climb to Tengboche

DSC01955.jpg

Kanak resting his sore knee...

IMG_1264.jpg

Reach Tengboche monastery

IMG_1265.jpg

IMG_1268.jpg

Monastery

IMG_1269.jpg

Beautiful and decorative gate.

IMG_1270.jpg

At most barren.....on our way to Debouche.

IMG_1271.jpg

Yaks

IMG_1273.jpg

We reached our Tea house (Paradise Lodge) at Debouche at 5 PM and we have evening tea with hot hot pakodas. I felt like taking a shower and paid NR 600 for a very hot water bacth as they had solar heating in their new wing. The rooms in the new wing had attached bath and heated beds! The tariff would be USD 50 per night.

After shower and clean up, we went to get some warmth in the dining hall where they have this wood burner/heater.

IMG_1283.jpg

New Wing of Paradise Lodge

IMG_1281.jpg

IMG_1284.jpg

Rooms were clean and I had no further AMS feeling and Ram told me not to check unnecessarily as I was looking good.

We had dinner at 8 PM and retired only after 9: 30 PM.
We saved one day and we were now 3 days behind schedule.

Attachments

Last edited:

Hiregoudar

28th Sept 2019
Day-6 of trek
Debouche (3734 MSL) to Dingboche (4346 MSL)
Total Trek today 11.8 KMS.

Last night Kanak's trek poles were inadvertently taken by some fellow traveller and he was glad he got them back. He could not walk without them.
He used to massage his knee with Deep heat every night before sleeping and every morning before the start of trek..

After our morning duties and BF we were ready to start the trek by 8 AM. Sherpa Shreen told us that today's trek distance was one of the shortest and we would reach by 4 PM so we are starting late.

Leaving Hotel at Debouche.

IMG_1287.jpg

We had to cross the river Imja Khola and go on to its left bank.

DSC01966.jpg

Vegetables

IMG_1292.jpg

Vegetation

IMG_1288.jpg

Land slide and Imja River

IMG_1289.jpg

Imja River crossing

IMG_1293.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

IMG_1295.jpg

Left bank

IMG_1296.jpg

Cones

IMG_1297.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

Looked like pomegranate.

IMG_1301.jpg

We stopped for tea break at Om Kailash Hotel, Khumjumg

IMG_1302.jpg

IMG_1304.jpg

It was still overcast and we rarely got to see the sun.

IMG_1308.jpg

Lunch after 4 hrs of trek at Shomare.

IMG_1311.jpg

Kitchen

IMG_1312.jpg

Last of the trees..

IMG_1313.jpg

Trees completely disappeared and all we had was grass and shrubs.

IMG_1317.jpg

IMG_1323.jpg

IMG_1324.jpg

IMG_1326.jpg

IMG_1327.jpg

IMG_1328.jpg

IMG_1329.jpg

Enroute ....
Direction for Thukla (Periche)

IMG_1307.jpg

We crossed the bridge to take the right side path to Dingboche. Left side would take us to Pheriche.

IMG_1333.jpg

DSC01965.jpg

We reached Dingboche around 4:30 PM.

IMG_1335.jpg

Dingboche

IMG_1337.jpg

Checked into Hotel Bright Star. The rooms had an attached toilet to our delight.

IMG_1338.jpg

It was cold and we met in dining hall at 6:30 PM and had Khukri rum before dinner.

We retired around 9:30 PM after enjoying the warmth from the fire place.

Shreen would manage hot water for our flasks every morning and evening. We were drinking only hot water (tato pani).

This place is the second day for acclimatization. On the rest day we are taken Imja Lake. We are supposedly get the best view of Ama Dablam Peak. Since everyone was fine we would continue our journey and not take the rest day. We did not go to Imja Lake.

Attachments

Hiregoudar

29th Sept 2019
Day-7 of trek
Dingboche (4346 MSL) to Lobuche (4933 MSL)
Lunch at Thukla (Dughla) 4620 MSL)
Total Trek today 11.7 KMS.

We were up again at 6 AM for 7:30 AM start since again today trek would be short one and we had lots of time to rest in between and try to reach Lobuche by 4 PM. Hot water was packed in the flasks. Just before starting Shreen came to inform that clouds have moved and we can see Ama Dablam . I just had the iPhone in hand and when we went out we could that last night it had snowed and it was white everywhere. We took some photos before clouds took over. Shreen told us that it is snowing in EBC area and we might get snow today while trekking. So he told us to layer up.
There is an ATM sign here but they don't work.

All were fine and Kanak was defying pain and what a fighter! He just kept going.

Photographs till our lunch break at Thukla (Dughla).

Ama Dablam

IMG_1340.jpg

wet streets outside. It was raining.

IMG_1339.jpg

Ama Dablam but it was difficult to see its shape due to the cloud cover.

IMG_1341.jpg

We started the day with a climb over Dingbouche.

IMG_1342.jpg

Valley towards Imja Lake.

IMG_1343.jpg

Stupa and rest.

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_1348.jpg

Valley over Pheriche and river Tsola.

IMG_1357.jpg

It was a flat gradient today will lunch time.

IMG_1358.jpg

Rains and then snow

IMG_1359.jpg

Tsola River below

IMG_1360.jpg

Snow fall started

IMG_1361.jpg

IMG_1366.jpg

IMG_1364.jpg

IMG_1368.jpg

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1372.jpg

We reached the head of the valley where the road splits. Now, we were near to lunch stop at Dughla but had to cross the glacier before reaching there. There were huge rocks and plenty of flowing water n ice.

IMG_1373.jpg

Dughla in the back ground. It has 2 to 3 Tea houses only.

IMG_1374.jpg

Tsola river

IMG_1376.jpg

cloud cover and no views of peaks at all.

IMG_1378.jpg

IMG_1381.jpg

Info board at Dughla also known as Thukla.

IMG_1382.jpg

Lunch break

IMG_1383.jpg

welcome rest

IMG_1384.jpg

Hillary comments on the wall " It Is Not the Mountain We Conquer, But Ourselves "

IMG_1386.jpg

Post lunch trek soon......

Attachments

Last edited: