Fast Paced Kinnaur - Spiti Trip

Prasham

Armchair Traveller :(
Hi,

I was planning for a monsoon trek (August 2nd week) first in nepal and then for Hampta pass but seems they aren't working for some reasons. A friend was going to Ladakh this season but all his potential partners backed out. So we are thinking to pair up and visit Spiti instead.

As usual I am short on days and wish to wrap up the trip quickly. Have been to spiti few years back but considering the fluid road condition in the area I want to know what could be a fast paced itinerary for Delhi - Shimla - Spiti - Manali - Delhi? We can ride from early morning till sun down. What could be average bike riding speed from Narkanda to Chitkul, Chitkul to Nako, Nakot to Kaza, Kaza to nearby monasteries and villages and finally Kaza to Gramphoo?

Have done Delhi - Narkanda before in a day. This time I may try to push further. I wish to know where all can I find accommodation between Narkanda & Rampur. Map shows few villages like Kumarsain, Kingal, Nirath etc.

Regards

Last edited:
Following. BTW which month Kunzum expected to open? Planning for 1st week of June.
As per the news got from a friend in Spiti valley , The snow near the Takcha village in Spiti valley is being cleared now. We can expect the Kunzum pass to be opened in May end if all goes well.

rajat.narang

You have not mentioned no of days so I am assuming from my side.
This is what you can try though I would not recommend, ideally this circuit needs at least 9 days and that is minimum (been there 5 times) ->
Day 1 - Delhi to Sarahan, 500 kms. If you leave early morning 4AM, you should be able to reach by 6-7PM. I'm suggesting this as you have less days in hand.
Day 2 - Sarahan to Chitkul - 106 kms. Should be doable in 5 hours.
Day 3 - Chitkul to Tabo via Nako - 200 kms, this will take around 8-9 hours if there are no blockages due to landslides etc. I am suggesting Tabo as it is lower than Nako and ideal for acclimatization.
Day 4 - Tabo to Kaza via Dhankar and Pin Valley - if you start 8AM, you should be in Kaza by 5-6 PM.
Day 5 - Around Kaza - Langza/Hikkim/Komic + Ki/Kibber/Tashigang.
Day 6 - Kaza to Manali via Chicham, will take 15-16 hours for this 200 kms stretch. Plan to leave very early, by 4AM, there are no roads as you know, riding will mostly be on river bed/broken roads with blockades before Rohtang and it is better to cross all nullahs before 2PM to the most. At least road (or I must say no road) is still ok till Battal, after that actual water crossings and slush sections start (as you are planning in August it will be there). The slush from Gramphoo to Rohtang is going to be hellish if it rains.
Day 7 - Manali to Delhi, 15 hours.

Ideally I would say take 10 days, one day at the most for buffer and other 2 days to explore and be safe.
I will be going in June and will update exact conditions.

Prasham

Thanks bro...

I have something like below in mind

Delhi - Narkanda (push as much as possible)
Narkanda - Chitkul - Rekong Peo
Rekong Peo - Tabo - Dhankar - Kaza
Kaza - Komic - Langza - Hikkim - Kaza - Kibber - Gette - Tashigong - Chicham - Losar
Losar - Chandratal - Manali

Is this doable? Can start daily by 5-6am and ride till sunset.

Prasham

On second thoughts I also am thinking about below

Delhi - Manali (Overnight Volvo)
Manali - Keylong (Need to hire bike and get permits)
Keylong - Leh
Leh - K Top - Leh
Leh - Tsomoriri
Tsomoriri - Keylong
Keylong - Manali (Handover bike and catch volvo for Delhi)

I know this is possible but not sure if bike hired from Manali will be allowed for Tsomoriri trip. If its not, I can hire one from Leh but can't return to Leh to give it back. Can someone shed light on this dilemma?

Prasham

I have similar short plan for Spiti Lahaul too, if Ladakh trip can't be done...

Delhi - Manali (Overnight Volvo)
Manali - Solang / Marhi (Need to hire bike and get permits - Do they issue permits for next day?)
Solang / Marhi - Kaza / Tabo (Tabo perferred as its lower and better for acclimatization.)
Kaza / Tabo - Nako - Dhankar - Kaza
Kaza - Komic - Langza - Hikkim - Kaza - Kibber - Gette - Tashigong - Chicham - Losar
Losar - Chandratal - Manali (Handover bike and catch volvo for Delhi)

adsatinder

explorer
Manali - Keylong (Need to hire bike and get permits)
Keylong - Leh
Leh - K Top - Leh
Leh - Tsomoriri
Tsomoriri - Keylong
Keylong - Manali (Handover bike and catch volvo for Delhi)

I know this is possible but not sure if bike hired from Manali will be allowed for Tsomoriri trip. If its not, I can hire one from Leh but can't return to Leh to give it back. Can someone shed light on this dilemma?
Last Year there was standoff between Leh and Manali Bike Association.
They were not allowing to cross each other's border.
Manali Bike cant cross Himachal Border to Ladakh side.
Forget this Plan.

This was the letter in 2019.

1582715997069.png

You can call them to ask about this issue.
But will recommend to avoid it.
Better take own bike from home on train to a particular destination.

You can hire bike from Shimla too for Spiti Ride.

rajat.narang

Thanks bro...

I have something like below in mind

Delhi - Narkanda (push as much as possible)
Narkanda - Chitkul - Rekong Peo
Rekong Peo - Tabo - Dhankar - Kaza
Losar - Chandratal - Manali

Is this doable? Can start daily by 5-6am and ride till sunset.
Well if you are okay leaving at 5/6AM, I would suggest below ->
Day 1 - Delhi to Sarahan - should be done in 12 hours easily. No need to stop at Narkanda if you leave Delhi at 5AM.
Day 2 - Sarahan - Chitkul - Reckong Peo
Day 3 - Peo - Tabo - Dhankar - Kaza
Day 4 - Kaza - Komic - Langza - Hikkim - Kaza - Kibber - Gette - Tashigong - Chicham - Losar -> I would say do not include so much, due to acclimatization issues this much travel can cause issues. I would say do either or the below ->
Kaza - Langza - Komic - Hikkim - Kaza - Chicham - Losar
OR
Kaza - Key - Kibber - Gette - Tashigong - Chicham - Losar

Day 5 - Losar - Chandrataal - Manali -> If you include Chandrataal it will be touch n go, you need to leave exactly at 5 AM from Losar.
Day 6 - Manali - Delhi